What would you call Opeth?

Melodic Death Metal Opeth is NOT. They are death metal influenced, mainly in the vocal department. But growled vocals alone doth not a death metal band make. Someone here said Extreme Progressive Metal, I agree. Or Opeth metal.

Yicjdic said:
The description I liked the most was from allmusic.com which called them symphonic death metal/progressive metal.

show me one place where opeth could be considered symphonic and i'll give you a dollar

fuck off [in a friendly way, of course...] to the people who insert everything into a box called musical genre.

i would describe opeth as follows:"hey, man... have you ever LISTENED to good music? ok, get still life, and LISTEN, please".

I just say Death Metal. I hate all these long winded terms (ever heard a description of Meshuggah? Man...) and using Progressive is way too general and doesn't actual define a specific style of music. So Death Metal is the way to go when I'm trying to explain it to someone who's not part of the "scene".

Or just screw the genres and tell them to listen and see for themselves. Oddly enough, when I let other people listen to Opeth, the comment that I get the most is that they sound like Metallica, even from other metalheads. I don't hear it, but that's what everyone says. Strange.

IAmEternal said:
show me one place where opeth could be considered symphonic and i'll give you a dollar

From allmusic: "Though it's an imperfect designation, symphonic black metal is the most common term for a European-centered style that emerged in the mid- to late '90s. It isn't literally symphonic, of course; that simply refers to the thick-sounding instrumentation and sweeping, dramatic soundscapes."

Not that it hell of matters at all what you call them...its still a pretty cool sounding designation. I find people get intrigued if you tell em you're listening to symphonic death metal. If you're like yeah...im listening to death metal they will usually just say...oh...and walk off.

Yicjdic said:
From allmusic: "Though it's an imperfect designation, symphonic black metal is the most common term for a European-centered style that emerged in the mid- to late '90s. It isn't literally symphonic, of course; that simply refers to the thick-sounding instrumentation and sweeping, dramatic soundscapes."

Hmmm..... The guy from allmusic got it completely wrong. Where did you get this quoute, anyway? I went to www.allmusic.com, typed in Opeth, and got a completely different description. In fact, they are called "progressive metal with death roots", which is kinda accurate.

Symphonic imples having some kind of orchestra (real or synthesized) as part of your music. Symphony X can be called symphonic (well duh, just look at their name :lol: ). Therion is most definitely symphonic. The only symphonic death metal that I know of is Haggard (and they are quite good, btw). Opeth is not symphonic.

-GK

I never did get a "death" kinda vibe listening to Opeth...sure the lyrics are pretty necro at times but not what i remember as death metal...
The reason i ask is because its fucking hard to explain to someone who has no idea what Progressive means or stands for about Opeths music...

and really, what is Forest metal?

Perfectly correct !!!

Progressive Melodic Death/Doom metal

no more influences ... melodic part are progressive and doomish
and
other parts are basically progressive and death ..

that's it

Guardian of Darkness said:
'Progressive Melodic Death/Doom metal with other influences too'......Or something.

Dusk said:
when i tell people opeth is progressive death metal they say 'oh so they're kinda like dream theatre'
:|

LMAO!!! They are nothing like DT! DT are so far from Death/doom it isnt even funny...

I guess we'll have to settle with Opethian....that sounds more correct...but ProgDoomMetal is pretty close too...but what happens when someone asks you what Doom metal is?>_< o_O