What is Opeth?

Ordained by the ULC.
Apr 29, 2001
The depths of Hell
Death metal? Prog-Death metal? Death-prog-folk? I've heard people call them black metal but I don't think they sound like any black metal band I've heard. People call them doom metal, but I don't know what the hell that is. I think their style is simply Opeth.

There simply is no way you can categorize this band! That is one of the reasons why I enjoy them...they are so diverse!

to 666: If you wanna know more about real doom metal and what it is, check out...
http://borntoolate.tripod.com

Alot of people may call certain aspects of Opeth doom because of it's emotional subtance. But that's a huge misconception of doom metal. Doom metal is Warhorse,Electric Wizard, Trouble,
Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Pentagram, Solstice, orig. Sabbath etc.
stoner rock is Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Monster Magnet
and goth/deathdoom is Anathema, Paradise Lost.

first, i really didn't like Mikael categorizing Opeth as "Extreme Progressive Metal", an artist shouldn't categorize his own creation, especially when he calls it progressive, i believe that when something is labeled progressive it is no longer progressive, but i got wierd theories about all things prog.... ;)

as for the Melodic Death label, that one is only true on "My Arms, Your Hearse", but i find that the other albums bear very little to no resemblance to any major Melodic Death acts such as In Flames, Dark Tranquility or Soilwork.

i'd have to say that i think Opeth should be categorized as Doomdeath Metal, Progressive Doomdeath if you wish, as the bands they bear most resemblance to (IMHO, Katatonia, Anathema, Amorphis and My Dying Bride) belong to this sub-genre.

Put simply, Opeth is Opeth! Never try to categorize them, because they'll always break whatever categorization you say. Progressive? Yes. But progressive to what extent? Who knows. Opeth is Opeth.

I love the old resurrected threads - especially ones I never posted to.

Even though Mikael categorized Opeth - I can't do it. Their diversity speaks volumes.

Opeth are playing opethian metal! that's the best way to define their music style.
Or there's the second way, that causes many confilcts:
Opeth are playing Progressive Doom Death Metal.
But I think that they touch every style of metal so It's hard to define them that way.

FOREST METAL! :p

I used to call them Melodic Death, but now I don't categorize them at all. They're heavy metal. It's all in how you say it. ;) Ya gotta say 'heavy' like ya have a pair. :eek: :lol:

I love the old resurrected threads - especially ones I never posted to.

Even though Mikael categorized Opeth - I can't do it. Their diversity speaks volumes.

I love ressurecting old threads...i wonder whats wrong with me...thanx Metal Man

Sometimes i think Opeth is whatever Morbid Angel is...then again...why is Opeth the way it is? The same reason we have asian-black people...just because they are...

Opeth are Duranguense, google that shit, if you disagree with this you are simply wrong.