Opeth turn you off to any genres?

Evil Ernie said:
Dragonforce, Freedom Call and Blind Gardian (and Hammerfall) are bands I consider responsible of the "cheesy and faggot" prejudice a lot of people have towards power metal. Iced Earth (Barlow era) totally rocks though.
Blind Guardian being responsible for "cheesy" prejudice towards power metal? Oh man, they're one of my favorite power metal bands (although admittingly I only listen to a handful because, heh, the cheese factor). I always thought Blind Guardian was among the most tasteful in terms of lyrics, focusing usually on fictional texts and without getting bogged down in the "fantasy" cliches or condescending to their audience (which a lot of power metal tends to do).

These are the only power metal bands I can tolerate these days...

Helloween - Early albums have a nice mixture of speed metal to keep them engaging

Blind Guardian - About as influenced by Queen then they are NWOBHM

Iced Earth - Although my favorite material is their most thrash-oriented stuff

Manowar - There are TWO types of metal fans... Those that love Manowar, and those that won't admit to liking them. :D

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction - Their first album unlike their later stuff... more aggressive and powerful songwriting. More traditional metal than anything else.

Décadent said:
No realy, those things are so fucking cool.

wombat.jpg

That's the ticket.

I can't listen to classic rock without getting terribly bored. Even stuff like Led Zepplin and AC/DC are almost intolerable to me. I can't really stomach power metal much anymore. I used to like Iced Earth for a while, but I tried to listen to them recently and got bored fast. I think I owe this more to black metal than Opeth.

I can understand that you get bored pretty fast listening to AC/CD because IMO they sucked since the day they were born. But Led Zeppelin? or Iced Earth? I'd like to know why.

MasterOLightning said:
I can't listen to classic rock without getting terribly bored. Even stuff like Led Zepplin and AC/DC are almost intolerable to me. I can't really stomach power metal much anymore. I used to like Iced Earth for a while, but I tried to listen to them recently and got bored fast. I think I owe this more to black metal than Opeth.

let's face it: *everything* is boring except sex and violence. and even those get old after awhile.

MasterOLightning said:

so just to tally up the scoresheet here....

you find led zeppelin intolerable and boring....but you listen to black metal?

dont get me wrong, i like a handful of black metal....but most of it isnt anymore "interesting" than most classic rock.

Before I started listening to Opeth, my favourite bands were Megadeth, Dream Theater, Morbid Angel, Tool, and Nevermore.
After listening to Opeth, my favourite bands were Megadeth, Dream Theater, Morbid Angel, Tool, Nevermore and Opeth.

cthulufhtagn said:
true, dragonforce is cheesy, but you have to embrace the cheese. i know there's a lot of people that really take them seriously which is fine with me, but i like "valley of the damned" because it's so ridiculously over-the-top-cheesy you can't help but smile. i mean c'mon, their website has "signature stage moves" listed in their member profiles...i can't even express that in words, that makes me want to cry tears of mirthful joy.

I saw Dragon Force last year. One of the most... bizarre bands I've ever seen, really.
And I, too, consider Blind Guardian to be one of the more 'tasteful' power metal bands. I don't really like power metal, but I love Blind Guardian. And Iced Earth. But mostly Blind Guardian.

Bob McBojit said:
Before I started listening to Opeth, my favourite bands were Megadeth, Dream Theater, Morbid Angel, Tool, and Nevermore.
After listening to Opeth, my favourite bands were Megadeth, Dream Theater, Morbid Angel, Tool, Nevermore and Opeth.

This is the most sensible thing posted so far.

NineFeetUnderground said:
so just to tally up the scoresheet here....

you find led zeppelin intolerable and boring....but you listen to black metal?

dont get me wrong, i like a handful of black metal....but most of it isnt anymore "interesting" than most classic rock.

Some black metal is boring. I guess that the decision to move away from other genres either boils down to a desire to discover and absorb new bands, or a desire to listen to the best music available. When I can think of at least 50 albums I would like to listen to more than Zep at any given time, I'm not going to spend a lot of time with them.