Opeth turn you off to any genres?

Longinus said:
I was a Fan of Linkin Park's before that. Needless to say I stopped listening to them and bands similar to them.
Let's just say I was saved by them, too, coming from the same "place" as you...

Thank you, Opeth. :worship:

err said:
DragonForce got me into metal in the autumn of 2002. The summer of 2003 got me into Freedom Call, and by early fall I found Iced Earth and Blind Guardian. I first observed Opeth early 2004 ,,, thank god for Mike otherwise i wouldnt be listening to Camel :(

Dragonforce, Freedom Call and Blind Gardian (and Hammerfall) are bands I consider responsible of the "cheesy and faggot" prejudice a lot of people have towards power metal. Iced Earth (Barlow era) totally rocks though.

Opeth opened me up to allot of metal bands. Before that I used to listen too a bunch of rock music. Back in 98 I bought korns album follow the leader. It didn't take me that long to throw that piece of shit out.

I used to listen to MANOWAR and Hammerfell but i was really into fantasy novels and figured songs about Battles and Warriors would fit in perfectly with my reading tastes, but since listening to Opeth, i havent touched the Epic Power metal.

Evil Ernie said:
Dragonforce, Freedom Call and Blind Gardian (and Hammerfall) are bands I consider responsible of the "cheesy and faggot" prejudice a lot of people have towards power metal. Iced Earth (Barlow era) totally rocks though.
true, dragonforce is cheesy, but you have to embrace the cheese. i know there's a lot of people that really take them seriously which is fine with me, but i like "valley of the damned" because it's so ridiculously over-the-top-cheesy you can't help but smile. i mean c'mon, their website has "signature stage moves" listed in their member profiles...i can't even express that in words, that makes me want to cry tears of mirthful joy.

Yea,, the members of DragonForce don't take themselves too seriously, which is why i love them so much. Their music is about getting tanked and headbanging till your brain turns to mush

Ok, maybe I shouldn't say they necessarily suck because I do enjoy some of their material. But should they really get the praise they receive? I know it may they may be a 'classic' band, but I feel that may be the reason that some people like them. Usually you'll hear someone say they suck and a lot of the responses will be "Why can you hate such a classic band? ______ wouldn't be around today if it weren't for them." I'll finish ranting after dinner... yeah...

deliverance said:
= Thank You, To Be Honest, I Really Like Fucking Tiny Wombats?

No realy, those things are so fucking cool.

wombat.jpg