Does anyone out there think that opeth is over-rated?

Palefolklore said:
Any time a band receives unusually large recognition, whether it be Opeth, Blind Guardian, or Iced Earth, the people whose tastes that band does not appeal to are going to become more vocal and label that band as "overrated." By using that word, you are simply saying, "This band receives a large amount of recognition, but I do not like them." This cannot be argued with, except to change that person's taste in music. But understand this: In the underground metal scene, bands do not become as popular as Opeth through mass hypnosis. There are always valid reasons as to why those bands appeal to mass amounts of people.

you sir, have hit the nail on the head. as well as music being subjective and the bulk of this argument being relative...but ill keep quiet about that, since that one dude wanted the argument to continue.

Hellvomits said:
I'm sure most would have said "change the channel, I don't like smooth Jazz" But since it is an opeth release most all fan's I have spoken with love the album.

It is an annoying paradox.

I like smooth Jazz. Actually.

Music is by far my main interest and hobby.
So it's a huge part of my life, and very important to me.

But, I think it gets useless after a while to debate it so much.

If you like something, go and buy the album. Listen to it constantly. Get swept up in it. Maybe even let the music become important in some emotional way to you.

But if you don't like something, well, that's fine too.

I love talking about music, but let's face it, at the end of the day we're going to all have our own opinions about it.

I think most of Opeth's work is great music. Some may disagree or think they're overrated. Neither opinion is more valid. But that's just my opinion :cool:

Well does everyone love Damnation?

Well personally I dont love it, its not that theres anything wrong with it, I just dont find it very interesting but then I guess people like Opeth for different reasons, perhaps discussing those reasons would be more valid than what you do and dont like?

Its the whole dynamic range for me, the ease of which they churn out the most delicate beautiful section of music and slide straight into a gorgeously heavy piece that I love... so Damnation kinda misses out the very thing that makes Opeth stand out for me.... technically Damnation is great but its just not very interesting.... which leaves me loving every album bar damnation.

narcisco said:
In my own opinion I think "in my own opinion" sucks.

Totally agree. Nothing's more annoying than debating something, then some turd pulling out the "we all have opinions" card.

Hey Dreamlord the thing is it won't stop. The next generation of infants have to learn it all over again.
And they are slow learners.
This site. When you try something different you are called gay. When you post a poll everyone says the same shit again and again, and Morningrise is the "SALVATION OF THE WORLD".
Fuck if it was only that good I would be a happy man.
It's not that good.
Geez the guy sings like a demented toad for most of it. And I love it.
But you Opeth guys need to read and get out more.

Faulkner should suffice.

Now class come back and see me after you have read.

Narcisco has been made a bitter man after being subjected to the nihilistic, introspective views proposed in a thread that shall remain un-named for the time being. Opeth, its management, nor its label take responsibility for any incoherent rantings that may come from him henceforth. /end disclaimer

:)

KielbasaSausage,

I never said that music that isn't Metal is "invalid".
I happen to think that Lynyrd Skynyrd is fucking awesome, and many other 70's and southern rock stuff.
Metal has been a huge (important) part of my life for many years, but I still dig and respect other styles of music.

I guess it takes an Australian state of mind to write that narcisco obituary,expose.. Hey whatever. We all know that means "fuck you".
But I don't. Thanks for your guarded support.
I mean Opeth readers, should I put a big word in now...

DoGUK said:
Well does everyone love Damnation?

Well personally I dont love it, its not that theres anything wrong with it, I just dont find it very interesting but then I guess people like Opeth for different reasons, perhaps discussing those reasons would be more valid than what you do and dont like?

Its the whole dynamic range for me, the ease of which they churn out the most delicate beautiful section of music and slide straight into a gorgeously heavy piece that I love... so Damnation kinda misses out the very thing that makes Opeth stand out for me.... technically Damnation is great but its just not very interesting.... which leaves me loving every album bar damnation.

Damnation is technically part of Deliverance, since its a double album (release at seperate times because of the damned label)

Hellvomits said:
KielbasaSausage,

I never said that music that isn't Metal is "invalid".
I happen to think that Lynyrd Skynyrd is fucking awesome, and many other 70's and southern rock stuff.
Metal has been a huge (important) part of my life for many years, but I still dig and respect other styles of music.

You portrayed yourself as not liking anything other than metal in previous post, sorry if i assumed otherwise.
Let me ask you something though; if Lynyrd Skynyrd started off as a metal artist, then gradually started making the music he is so well-known for today, what would be your opinion of him? Would he be a sell-out for becoming "softer?"