DAMNATION...The Magic Is Still There

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
No one has really put down DAMNATION as if it were a complete disappointment, (at least from what I remember) but some have said that the magic that makes Opeth Opeth isn't in this wonderful disc. I respectfully disagree.

Opeth music is haunting. And using that as a metaphor, where the other Opeth discs were like seeing a ghost of a stranger or demonic presence that chilled your blood, DAMNATION is like seeing the aparition of a family member...something otherworldly yet comforting.

This CD is so beautiful. I've heard it so many times already (partially because it's the only disc of Opeth's I can actually play around other people), and it never gets old. Actually it does age...like a fine wine.

Who knows where Opeth goes from here. Will they stay on the path of gentleness or return to the eeriness of the past? Wherever they go, I will be waiting.

Thank you, Opeth.

Yeah I would have to agree with you. I personally don't know why some people are not content with it, well actually in a sense I do comprehend, must be due to the fact that there not really into this type of style which makes sense, not many metal heads have much appeal for ambient soft rock-esque music with prog elements .

All in all Damnation to me is a great album; its cohesive and I like the way the music comes together. It may not be complex but thats not the objective, the band kind of demonstrates what they can do with-out being overly technical and the results are very impressive. I guess what I really find rejoicful is the ambience of the material; its very mellow and has a really nice atmosphere sometimes bringing chills up my spine, which is one of Opeth's greatest attributes, they always have this tendency in putting me on a very pleasant, sedative, and reflective states particularly with Damantion. I just love "Hope Leaves" and "In My Time Of Need" both just very tranquil songs, but these are just my current favourites, in my opinion there all wonderful songs and my song prefrences are always changing every other week.

All I can really say is that Opeth have succeeded once again and they continue to display there exclusive talent, it may not please everyone but its there and its obvious.

At this point I feel that this band has something up there sleeve so to speak, you could just feel that there going to unveil something groundbreaking real soon but it appears that there holding back on it. All I know is that there up to something and what ever it is we're going to find out on there next effort.

:cool:

I've heard In My Time of Need and didn't like it all that much, but that is mostly because of some of the vocal melodies which I felt were a bit too awkward. The music itself sounded great though..........Good comparison with the "hauntings" btw

Orion Crystal Ice said:
I've heard In My Time of Need and didn't like it all that much, but that is mostly because of some of the vocal melodies which I felt were a bit too awkward. The music itself sounded great though..........Good comparison with the "hauntings" btw

you heretic! :eek: In my time of need is one of the best tracks on the album!

Yes, Opeth is a progressive band, but no one can argue that their first six albums were THAT different. Now Damnation is in fact really different than any other of their albums. So taht's why so many people don't say it's so amazing.

But I love it, and my mom put it best, she was listening to me play it upstairs, and she came up and said "That's really good music, who is it?" and I said it was Opeth, and then she said "It's so beautiful, it's so crystaline and fragile" and crystaline is a good way to put it. :D A really good album.

It got a little old for me. If all the songs were as mind-blowing as the first two tracks, then it would have been excellent. It's a good disc, don't get me wrong. But some of the choruses really get boring quickly.

Hehe, that's exactly what I think, minus the "it got old" part. ;) The first two trakcs (and To Rid the Disease) are absolutely amazing.

It's cool to hear from you guys...

The only other person that I know that knows of Opeth is my brother. He isn't a fan of growling vocals or extreme metal but when he heard mellow parts from DELIVERANCE, he heard how talented they were. And when I told him they were going to release an entire CD like that, he was excited. It's now one of his favourite CD's.

While it is good.. I am slightly dissapointed. The songs don't progress all that much and are generally too short. I also dont think the dynamics are there. I don't know. Its cool, but I can't listen to the album a whole lot like other Opeth albums, and I love progressive rock.. CAMEL!!! and a big fan of Porcupine Tree as well.. I hope Opeth try this sort of thing again, as I know they will only get better at it.

i'd have to say i'm also slightly dissapointed, but it still is an awesome album...i mean c'mon, it's Opeth!
I was expecting music that was more similar to songs like Harvest, Patterns in the Ivy I and II, Benighted, Still Day Beneath the Sun, etc.

well.. I love it.. it's a fine album.. and it's beautiful...

however.. compared to other Opeth albums, this album cruises through everything in this mostly comfortable 70's prog... though beautiful as it is, I always feel there's more potential in Opeth songs than this... than the establishing of a feel throughout an album.. Though it does vary.. it doesn't vary enough for me...