Damnation

D2, i remember you wanted my opinion for this:
well...i can't really come to a conclusion.
i really really love damnation. i think it is an excellent album. it is totally mellow, with no death vox, which is why many people want to deny that it is indeed opeth. however, as mentioned, look at songs like TBYF, Credence, Benighted, Face of Melinda, Patterns, etc.. They've always had non-agressive/acoustic parts in basically every song..but now to record a full album like that may bother people.
it definetly stands out from their full catalogue, for reasons stated above, but i mean if i had no idea who this was, i would still think it was an excellent album.
i'm rambling. i don't know if i'm totally against mikael having released this under his name (despite the fact he writes all "opeth" music anyway). ahhhh.

Why do you not want people to be Opeth fans? Do you think that just because they don't like every aspect of the music then they don't truly like the band? Damnation is a great album and I have friends that only really like that album, but they also like the mellower songs from the other albums. Some people just don't like death vocals, lets face it, that doesnt mean they cant like or respect a bands music when the vocals arent present. I think youre just trying to hold onto a band close to you and when someone likes Linkin Park and likes Opeth, you dont want to be associated with them as an Opeth fan as well.

BurningSky said:
Why do you not want people to be Opeth fans? Do you think that just because they don't like every aspect of the music then they don't truly like the band? Damnation is a great album and I have friends that only really like that album, but they also like the mellower songs from the other albums. Some people just don't like death vocals, lets face it, that doesnt mean they cant like or respect a bands music when the vocals arent present. I think youre just trying to hold onto a band close to you and when someone likes Linkin Park and likes Opeth, you dont want to be associated with them as an Opeth fan as well.

Or he's just saying that people don't really like Opeth, cuz this album was a digression from their usual formula. Maybe you're being a judgemental retard who decided on your opinion before you read the thread.

god forbid they stray from their "usual formula." I didn't know having varying musical styles was illegal for a band. I sure hope every album a band releases sounds the same!!!

coolsnow7 said:
Or he's just saying that people don't really like Opeth, cuz this album was a digression from their usual formula. Maybe you're being a judgemental retard who decided on your opinion before you read the thread.

Thats fantastic arguing style; cant rebuff what the person has said, so you just attack the person. Really, i dont know how you do it. Amazing really. We could all learn something from you. Im serious. No sarcasm intended, none at all. Honestly.

You're right, you all could learn something from me. Haha. I didn't have enough time to actually rebuff him. And I don't now either.

BurningSky said:
Why do you not want people to be Opeth fans? Do you think that just because they don't like every aspect of the music then they don't truly like the band? [...] I think youre just trying to hold onto a band close to you and when someone likes Linkin Park and likes Opeth, you dont want to be associated with them as an Opeth fan as well.
I totally agree with that. The burning topic about Damnation being true Opeth release or not is one thing, and this kind of thread is quite interesting is that perspective. But this reccurent "let's keep Opeth fan base pure" attitude pisses me off.
I love BWP, Deliverance AND Damnation, but never enjoyed Orchid. That's just how I feel about the music. Now, did I pass the Real Fan Test :confused:

No offense dorian gray, I get your point, but calling oneself a fan of Opeth/Any other band is really no big deal :cool:

I bought the album and see whats the problem with it being under the opeth name. Even though its acoustic and mellow you can still tell that its opeth just because it still has its dark surrounding to it.