What Mike Portnoy said about Opeth & Damnation...

OpethPat

May 29, 2001
Visit site
From MP.com forum:

OPETH

After delivering (no pun intended!) one of my favorite Metal releases of 2002, I am already totally digging the new, upcoming release "Damnation" (coming in March)

It is unbelievable how diverse this band can be!!
With Deliverance sounding very Progressive/Gothic/Death Metal (Testament meets Cynic meets Sabbath), Damnation is a whole other side to the band...totally beautiful and melodic (Porcupine Tree meets the Moody Blues!)
And yet somehow, they manage to miraculously still sound like the same band between the two!!

Not many bands would be able to pull a stunt like this off, but they've totally succeeded!

MP

FYI, Mike is the drummer of Dream Theater

its a weak comment from Mike! I mean each metalband owes Black Sabbath something.... T
anyway i'm glad he likes them :)

Originally posted by KielbasaSausage
not all of black sabbaths material sounds like iron man/paranoid you know... id have to say Black sabbath is still one of my very favorite bands today because of how diverse their music is.

True true. Why does everyone think that is the only 2 songs they ever did? And I agree, just about every metal band owes them something and it's no shame to be compared to them.

Originally posted by godmachine12
Why does everyone think that is the only 2 songs they ever did?

i dunno, but whenever i come to those tracks i usually skip them. those 2 songs are too overrated.

oh which reminds me, black sabbath should be releasing a new studio album end of this year with ozzy on vocals. how many years since their last album with ozzy on vocals? 25 years? haha damn they are old geezers. :lol:

Originally posted by KielbasaSausage
not all of black sabbaths material sounds like iron man/paranoid you know... id have to say Black sabbath is still one of my very favorite bands today because of how diverse their music is.

yeah, i am quite familiar with sabbath's catalogue... i used to own all their stuff from "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" through "Born Again"