Opeth interviews

Luz said:
No, he doesn't. One of the interviews there was made by Martín López. López and Martín Méndez do the rest of the spanish interviews, the thing is that I've never found a single interview made by him (Méndez). So if you find one, please, post it here. Thank you.

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

I once read an article about Mendez is some bass guitar magazine...I wish I'd bought it, but oh well. It wasn't a straight question-and-answer interview, but I guess the author had interviewed Martin and incorporated quotes into the story.

Now that I think about it, I have no idea why I'm posting this, considering I have no idea what the name of the magazine was or where to find the article. Whoops. sorry. :(

Also, this interview Demoke posted is awesome because Mike uses the word "super-duper."

Whoa, I also just read that Mike works in a record store. I don't know if he still does, but how cool would that be to walk into a record store and have Mike fucking Akerfeldt help you look for stuff?

Oh yeah. I'd love to have Mike be my customer service representative.

Yes, great interviews...thanks Luz!

Surprised to see how much Lopez and maybe the rest of the band like Tool. I like Tool a lot also, but they are quite a bit different. A tour with both of them would be most excellent!!

Seth

haggard said:
Also, this interview Demoke posted is awesome because Mike uses the word "super-duper."

:lol:
Mikael Akerfeldt: Yeah! I'm a vinyl record collector so I'm on the hunt for obscure stuff. Mostly 60's and 70's stuff. There was this German band called Blackwater Park that released only one album back in 1971. It's super-duper hard to find. I found it myself, paid a fortune for it and it's a good album. It's not like we named our record after them as a homage, we just thought it was a good title. The band itself sounds a lot like Uriah Heep or Deep Purple.

I remember when I was really REALLY into Opeth, I would look up every interview I could find and try to pick up as many of the band's influences as I could find for further listening... Fun times! :)

If you still have them, post it here if you want, it is always welcome, even old ones.
Cheers.

Dark Infinite: De nada ;)

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

John Gargo said:
I remember when I was really REALLY into Opeth, I would look up every interview I could find and try to pick up as many of the band's influences as I could find for further listening... Fun times! :)

MISSION TO OPETH
Another old interview. I got in touch with Mikael Akerfeldt, the Master Composer, guitarist of Opeth, and King of the Exclamation Point (he'd be Elaine from the sitcom Seinfeld's perfect man, no doubt), not long before their album "Morningrise" was released in the latter part of 1996.

BC: It's my understanding you've been around since the beginning of the '90s. Why is it that there was such a long time that passed before you decided to release anything, considering you hadn't released a demo before "Orchid" was brought forward?

MA: Opeth was actually formed in early 1990 by our former vocalist David. But a strange phenomenon is that none of the original members are left in the band! Today's Opeth could be explained as a continuation of my personal former band, Eruption, whose solid grounds were formed by me and our drummer Anders in the late 80's.
We didn't actually decide to not release anything, it just never happened; and, when the Candlelight deal came about we knew that it was the right time to reveal the abilities of the band! We had by then found our own personal sound due to four years of extreme rehearsing. This is perhaps the reason "Orchid" sounds pretty mature for a debut release.

BC: Was it difficult for you to get a record contract without a demo floating around? How are things going with Candlelight? Have you encountered anything in the shape of certain rumours regarding inefficiency with that label? Do you feel that much of the scene is fixated with negative elements such as these?

MA: As far as I'm concerned, the business side of music is a pain in the ass!!! It is indeed a bit cliché to say that, but it is absolutely true! Candlelight had been interested in us for quite a while before he got hold of my address! They had received a reh-song from our colleagues in Emperor. Later I decided to contact Candlelight to see if there was any interest, and I almost immediately got a reply and a telephone call from Lee himself saying that he wanted to release the debut CD of Opeth. Ii know that Candlelight has got a somewhat nasty reputation for being slow, which might have been true in some cases. Of course we have had our problems as well, but everything's solved now and Candlelight is going really fine!

BC: What were your feelings about "Orchid" as a first larger-scale production? Did you enjoy the recording of it?

MA: We visited Unisound for two weeks during March of 1994; and, it was a really interesting experience indeed. Working with Dan Swano was a sheer pleasure as he is a musical genius as well as our biggest admirer! We were totally inexperienced concerning recordings; but, he helped us to get through it. I am really pleased with "Orchid", I must say! I'd say that we should have left some kind of mark on the world of music! We have also recorded the follow up to "Orchid", entitled "Morningrise"! This time we possessed the studio for an entire month!

BC: What were your initial expectations of how such an ambitious set of compositions would be received; and, how did that pan out?

MA: I knew from the beginning that "Orchid" would shatter the scene! And that was in fact what happened! At least I get that impression from reading the reviews we've received, I also receive loads of letters from people into our music, some are almost fanatical!!!

BC: There is so much going on in your songs, as though there are different movements within each opus; yet, it all flows together so well, so naturally, in my mind. It's a difficult or abstract question for some to answer; but, I'm curious as to how you approach that. Is it like assembling an appropriate picture from several jigsaw pieces; or, does one song usually get worked on at a time? Or?

MA: Some songs are made out of several different fragments that might have had nothing in common from the beginning. These fragments usually get altered so that they might suit each other more. But the most common thing concerning song-writing is that we write the entire song in a riff after riff kinda way! The most important thing for us is to write and arrange music that is totally interesting all the time as our long tracks would get boring otherwise!
The hardest song to write was definitely "Black Rose Immortal" as it's so long! We first started writing it in 1992 and it got finished in 1996!!! See, we have been changing parts in that song for ages, but now it was finally ready and finished for the recordings!

BC: Guitar harmony orchestration, usage of movements or movement stylisation within songs is something that is very in vogue in Swedish metal, a lot of less mainstream metal presently. Aside from King Diamond or Rotting Christ, there's many artists who profess a "deep love" of classical music. How about yourself; do you have much time for composers pre-20th century and the modern composers carrying on classical traditions?

MA: I do listen to classical music at times, yes. But I wouldn't say that it is my very first choice of music, really. I prefer some of my dusty prog-records. When I listen to classical music it used to be composers like: Orff, Shostakovic, Bach, Lizst or Beethoven!

BC: "Silhouette" is a nice touch to the "Orchid" album. How long has Anders been playing the piano? It must be an advantage for you to have a drummer that is also proficient with other instruments and also a composer (I'm assuming he wrote that song...). How active is he is song-writing, like with coming up with melodies? I believe he's also responsible for the keyboards on your cover of "Circle of the Tyrants", correct?

MA: Anders has been playing the piano for quite some years now. I am not sure how long, actually! Yes, he was the composer of "Silhouette" as well! I tell you, none of the rest of us was aware of his skills... we were completely surprised to tell you the truth!
Anders used to write some riffs here and there, and when he does it is composed on the piano.
The "Circle of the Tyrants" parts were played by Anders as well!!!

BC: Any sounds you're looking for the right opportunity to work with in Opeth?

MA: I am not sure, as I reckon we can get our present instruments to sound different if we wanted, but flutes are great, and so is the cello. But we don't have any plans for bringing in another instrument just now.

BC: Is there any particular style within the diverse nature of the band you enjoy more so than others? Why so, what feelings are brought out in you during these moments?

MA: I get mesmerized by these triumphant parts, they just fill you up! I also adore the "strange" parts with lots of tempo changes. But it's hard to say that I prefer something next to another as I see our songs as a whole! But of course I've got my personal favourite parts within our songs too!

BC: Have you ever studied music? If not, would you ever undertake something as intensive as getting a degree in music from university? What do you think of the concept of the "educational apparatus" becoming involved with music? Is a well-trained musician with a professional level of theoretical knowledge any competition for someone who just picks up an instrument and finds their own way of expressing themselves through it, (a comparison might be like Joe Satriani and Tony Iommi, or Samoth and Kirk Hammett...)

MA: I have never studied music! I wish I had because I'd like to be able to read music notes! In my opinion, the ultimate musician is a combination between taught skills and personal playing. You can only learn by yourself to a point! Personally I feel that I've reached a point where it is hard to feel if you're actually learning any longer. I do think that taking lessons might get you out of the "hole" and set your inspiration flowing again!

BC: What are some clichés present in contemporary metal that annoy you?

MA: That all lyric writers call themselves poets! I think I've done that, and I'm very ashamed if I have! I do not consider myself a poet even though my lyrics might be written in a poetic manner. What I mean is when children (15-16 year olds) claim that they're poets! For the time, it is so "right" to be one.

BC: Do you feel "black" is an appropriate description of your style (as some writers have used to describe Opeth)? Your music free of evil pretensions, it seems to me. Perhaps they are just referring to style you have placed your own variation on, rather than the tone or overall atmosphere.

MA: We're definitely not a black metal band; but, there is an aura of darkness around everything we do I guess. This darkness does not have to be evil; it could mean a personal state of mind and many other things. But all our material deals with things that don't really get you jumping around in happiness! We do not seek any word to describe what we're about, things are just the way they are.

BC: Some lyrics that interest me are those to "The Twilight is my Robe". The abstract nature of the essence and complex concept are cleverly disguised by a very poetic and effective simplicity. I was hoping you could remove that abstract veil and talk a bit about the fantasy in that song.

MA: Again, I don't want to be called a poet, as I'm not one! "Twilight..." is about soul searching! I guess I could say it's about the worship of something greater, which is partly true.
I try to describe the total feelings of getting strength and wisdom from something you truly believe in... whether it be fictional or a real entity; but, most of us humans have got sources unto whom we rely to help us during the path of life, and the path of death.

BC: Your lyrics mirror the diversity within the musical style you employ, at one moment complex and mythical with apparently very personal meanings, and at others very succinct and universal. Do you find yourself often in an abstract state of mind when writing lyrics? Are you conscious of giving room to a listener to form their own notions from the song?

MA: On "Orchid", all the lyrics are a bit strange in the way that the reader will find him/herself not understanding one single line during most of the running-time. It would be such a great thing if I could be able to listen to the record with the other listeners so that I could be able to describe just what is going on.
I did this with Peter and Anders, and they really got amazed! They were like two children on a storytellers' night! Anyway, my new lyrics are more easy to understand I guess; although, I guess that many will be puzzled anyway. The only thing I want to give the listener is the gift of true adventure without any direct pictures. They have to build up their own scenario in their head. maybe this is an unreachable wish of mine as many only listen to the music and the read the lyrics separately. But it would be a divine feeling if somebody described what they felt about it as if they knew exactly what I feel when I listen to Opeth! I hope you get my point even though this explanation might seem a bit confusing!

BC: In "The Apostle in Triumph", what are you referring to in the line "...My spirit is hidden, In the form of wisdom, Carved on a black stone"?

MA: Fate is hidden in words...

BC: There are a lot of lyrical passages on the album that describe quite allegorically and beautifully, human passion being pushed to an almost supernatural extreme by natural settings. It is also a little less specific than some bands coverage of that idea. Do you feel you could be inspired and find beauty anywhere on Earth; or, is there genuinely something about Scandinavia, do you feel, that sets it apart as superior to the rest of the world?

MA: Scandinavian nature is indeed beautiful; but, I do not claim that we possess the most beautiful nature in the world at all. I reckon the reason why all of us Scandinavians hail our forests and lakes that much is because we haven't seen many other places of great nature.
I believe that every country has got its places which may enchant you as soon as you set eyes upon them! Australia is well known for this, isn't it?
Anyway, my connection to nature feels very real, as I grew up very close to the forests and it surely has made a big mark in my very soul. It's part of me... it should be a part of everyone; but, since not everyone has got the opportunity to write lyrics to songs, this matter is not easy to know, maybe everybody is a fucking caveman in the depths of their hearts. Who knows?

BC: Do you think nationalism as is mentioned in the previous question suits metal, is appropriate? Is there a genuine place for politics in your musical interests?

MA: Personally I'd say no! But since everyone has got the right to express themselves how they choose, it is inevitable. Maybe some people get really affected by politics and want to write something about it, I don't know! I think most of what these nationalists write is horseshit anyway!!!

BC: How did the tour the Impaled Nazarene and Ved Buens Ende tour go? Do you enjoy live performance; and, do you have any difficulties with some of the guitar arrangements?

MA: It wasn't really a tour, as we only did three gigs that time and only one with Impaled Nazarene! But that gig was OK even though it was not one of our best ones! The crowd was pretty bad; but, I respect them anyway. During the Opeth show most of them just listened which is fine with me. Some were head banging around; but, most of the just listened. I am glad that nobody left the venue though! I think the line-up of bands was average, there no big-shot bands on the bill! Actually, we just got back from the UK! We played 2 shows with Morbid Angel there, which was really good! This time the crowd was fucking amazing... we got a really good response!!!
We've played live about fifteen times, which is not much. We expect to play more in a near future but I am not sure as yet! I reckon we work very well in a live situation. All of our songs are possible to perform in its entire form in a concert! We wrote the songs for a 4-piece and we goddamn recorded them as a 4-piece, so everything on the record will be heard live!

BC: I've been told you have a real love for a lot of heavy rock and prog-rock from, like Yes or Rush, from the 70's. What did you think of some of Yes' later releases; and, would you ever start another project that allowed you to play something like the music I described earlier in the sentence?

MA: Oh yes... this is one of my greatest hobbies! You see, I totally love vinyls; and, I mainly buy vinyls as well although some releases are only available on CD! Of course I like Yes and Rush; but, they're not any of my absolute favourites! The later Yes material is OK, a bit too much standard pop if you ask me! I prefer "Fragile" or "Close to the Edge"!!!
I have got a side project which is not very serious at all; but, we'll try to capture some of the 70s' spirit. My main goal is to make Opeth more progressive, though!
Oh, I just love to write some of my favourites down, is it OK??? Camel, Cressida, Icecross, Indian Summer, Culpeppers Orchard, Fruupp, Salamander, Czar, Spirogyra, Gracious, Fantasy, Focus, Dust, Freedom, Colosseum, Greenslade, Jade Warrior, Cristopher, Black Widow, and of course, Black Sabbath.

BC: How did you get involved with the Celtic Frost tribute album; and, why "Circle of the Tyrants"? How did you approach doing this so that it wasn't just going to be an ordinary cover? Are there any other ideas for covers you'd be interested in doing?

MA: I'm on good terms with Rayshele from Century Media and she asked me! Her boyfriend Raul is running Dwell Records who put out that CD! He's a really nice bloke for that matter!
We chose "Circle..." because no other band had chosen that one (on the record); and, we thought that a Frost compilation would not be complete without it! We have not experimented that much with others' songs even though we used to play covers once in a while! With "Circle..." we just wanted to put our sound to the original version! I think it worked out OK thinking of the fact that we only rehearsed it about 3 times!
Personally, I'd like to do a cover of any Camel song; but, that would be a direct interpretation as their material is complex enough!!! But I do not think that we'll ever put a cover song on any of our own albums!

BC: One or two things to finish things up... I'm sorry Mikael; but, I just can't resist it. I know every band gets asked this stupid fucking question 5 billion times in their existence; but... arrrgh... eh-what is "Opeth"?

MA: It's from a book and it means City of the Moon! Yes, I have answered it about 5 billion times!

BC: What do you enjoy most from life? What do you enjoy doing?

MA: I enjoy every kind of music... I enjoy to criticise music. I enjoy to be one with music!!! If music was a woman, I'd be desperate to fuck her...

BC: What are your plans for tomorrow, the next month, the near future?

MA: I am just waiting for "Morningrise" to be released! Otherwise I am working in a guitar store, which is what I do at this time, I don't have much time for anything else!

Interview with Mikael by R. Brito

Unfortunately, some of the band members that recorded both "Orchid" and "Morningrise" are not in the band anymore. How do you think Mendez and Lopez fill Johan's and Ander's roles? How has been their adaptation with the band?

M: Now when I look at it, I´d say we have moved on to greater things in terms of being a band and all that it means. Anders left the band, and I was shattered, Johan was kicked out and I was content. These changes baffled me at first, and I didn´t know what I wanted to do, but when we found Martin Lopez he sparked my interest in some way. He´s so into what we´re doing. At times I didn´t feel any support whatsoever from neither Anders or Johan, they just adapted to anything. I could come up with a great riff or part and they were like: "Yes, so??". You see my point? I want the members to really be into what we´re doing. Both as musicians and as fans of music. Now afterwards, we´ve reached that goal I guess. All of us are having great expectations on what to come, and myself and Peter are so glad to have a full line-up again. The 2 Martins are now permanent members, and they are in a way equally responsible for everything we do although I write the songs. We have recently started rehearsing the music for the 4th album and it´s going great! They are both taking lessons on the side as well. Both of them have hooked up with latin jazz musicians who are willing to give lessons to them which is great for the band. They have really improved in every way, and these facts make me 100% certain that the next album will be perhaps the most complete work we´ve done.

Now this is a question I've always wanted to know from some artist: do you listen periodically to your own records or do you prefer to listen exclusively to other people's work? Which record do you like best? And what about the other members?

M: I listen to our records as a listener, and not as a member. I still can´t believe it´s me screaming that way. Anyone who says they´re not listening to their own records are full of shit. Fuck that shit, I´m proud of what we´re doing, and I see our albums as some of the jewels in my collection. I think I speak for us all when I say that MAYH is our favourite at this time. Even for the Martins, who used to be die-hard fans of the band. Well actually, I´ve got a tape of all the new songs, and that might be what I listen to most these days.

Do you have any favorite song of yours or any song that you composed that means something special for you, that touches you deeper than the others?

M: That´s hard for me to answer, as I put all my energy into each track. I like the calmer tracks like "Credence" and "To bid you farewell". "When" is perhaps my favourite on the new album. "Forest of October" holds the essence of the band and is one of our best tracks even though it´s the oldest one.

It's not a secret that Opeth albums feature long instrumental passages and sparse vocals, in the very same way that some Camel albums were composed (gee, you seem to be a major Latimer freak,huh?). Do you expect in the future to be able to release a purely instrumental album like Camel did with "(Music Inspired By) The Snow Goose"?

M: I´m not sure I want that actually. I just don´t write music that way. I would rather say that we will work more with the vocals since that´s what I´m improving every day. As for now I know that the 4th album will be the most complicated work so far, with a myriad of different parts and movements. It will take your breath away, and demand your attention. I reckon it will be our longest album as well, since I´ve got around 70 minutes worth of music at this point, and it is all great! We have always been experimenting a lot with the instruments, and that will be done on the next album as well, but I also think that I will sing more, with more vocal harmonies. And the screaming voice will be more dynamic than before. We have also been thinking about using some keys on it like vintage melllotrons and hammonds or rhoades. It will be sparse but might be added here and there to enhance the overall atmosphere.

As most of the fans know (after anxiously awaiting for your third album), "My Arms, Your Hearse" has gone though some name changes,including "Everything Dies". It has also been pointed that this namechange was made to avoid confusion. Which confusion? Was it a banddecision to change the name or was it required by the label(s)?

M: I came up with "Everything dies" after an episode of the X-files. The label didn´t like it, and adviced me to reconsider. I then found the MAYH title and told the company who had by then, changed their minds and advertised it to be called "ED" without telling us. I´m glad we changed it since there was an album released called "Everybody dies" around the same time.

BTW, speaking of labels, how are the sales going? You seem to be very satisfied with Candlelight records (you dedicated MAYH to Lee Barrett), because they seem to give you enough freedom. Is that right?
On the other hand, the Century Media releases are not exact copies of their Candlelight records counterparts (for instance, they feature the logo of the band on the covers) and now it seems that your contract has expired. Have you thought about new labels?

M: We have had ups and downs with Candlelight, and most of the time we didn´t complain. The dedication on MAYH was made to Lee since he was the one who made it possible for us. He had just left Candlelight, and we felt we wanted him to know what he meant to us. Today, I don´t like Candlelight at all, and we have decided to sign to another label. I can now confirm that we will sign to Peaceville records, we are recently working on the contracts. Nobody is in any position to say what we´re gonna do as he/she had to be a person with greater musical qualities than us. I think people in general have accepted that they can´t fool around with our music. It will be the same with Hammy and Peaceville. He loves what we are doing and a major change would be disastrous. I´ve been in contact with Century Media since 1994 and they´ve been after us ever since. We were offered a deal with them recently, but we had other lans. I have copies of the US release, and they aren´t that good looking to be honest. The Euro version is better although it´s not that good either. "Orchid" was fucked up from the beginning, and so was MAYH. "Morningrise" has the better look of them all. I honestly don´t know how many copies we´ve sold in all, but I´d say between 15-20000 copies of each album.

And do you have any word about tours? Will you tour here in Brazil? :) If Exodus played here twice after they got signed by Century Media, why can't they promote you? :)

M: We have always had deep wishes to play in Brazil since Anders was from Sao Paolo, but we haven´t had that opportunity yet. The Martins are both from Uruguay and of course they´d like to play over there. I´d say we´d definately plan a South american tour if we had the opportunity. With the 4th album coming out on Peaceville it might happen. They have the money and the spirit to accomplish such events

What do you think of Nectar, the mailing list? Do you keep up with the discussions?

M: I´m a subscriber, so I´ve gotta check the mails once in a while. Yes, I like it although I don´t follow the discussions about all the different MP3´s or vaws or whatever it´s called. I don´t know anything about that shit, neither do I care. I´ve got some friends on there like Shayne and Janek, both of whom I´ve met. Shayne stayed at my place for a couple of days, and he´s a great person! The list is a good forum for the fans to meet up, and it gives me the opportunity to see what the fans really think about us.

So, it's been said that Opeth already have some material being composed for the new album. How is it turning out to be and how do you feel that it is aging?

M: I´ve been talking a bit about it earlier, but I can´t say enough about it. I´ve started with the lyrics as well, and it will be another concept. Some titles are: "Serenity painted death" and "Face of Melinda". I don´t have a title for the album yet, as usual. However, it will be a real treat for the fans with perhaps the best music I´ve done, and the most interesting lyrics so far. I am recording every new riff I come up with at Blackheims place. He´s bought himself a great device for recordings and has agreed to help me out. This way, I can record everything including drums, bass, harmonies and so on. Then I use to listen to it in my walkman to make sure it´s good, and it is more than that. We are recording in April-99 and I can´t wait to start. We might put short demo excerpts on the official site, but I´m not sure about that yet. As always, I want people to be shocked about the music, so I might keep the secret.

Some questions about Mikael, the person:

How old are you? You mention in the official homepage that you were 5 years old when you first got your Iron Maiden's "The Number of the Beast", but that's not enough to know your age (though we may guess).

M: I was 8 when I bought that album. That was in 1982. My interest for music has been with me all my life basically, although I started up being a Elvis fan. I´m born in 1974, so I´m 24 years old. I will be 25 when we record the 4th album, and I won´t be able to celebrate myself with all my friends, but I guess the band will have to do.

Before you were interested in music, you were interested in sports. Which sports do you enjoy the most? Do you still have time to practice your favorite sports? Do you have other hobbies?

M: I was a soccer player for almost 11 years. I was a forward in Sörskogens IF! Anders was the goalkeeper actually! I also was a tennisplayer/teacher a few years back. I was quite good actually, but the music took it´s toll and stole my complete attention. Nowadays I don´t do much sports apart from swimming and badminton. Too seldom though. I used to play with Blackheim who was a big promise in badminton when he was younger, but when I finally beat him, he didn´t want to play anymore. I talked both Peter and Jonas(Katatonia) into playing with me, but they only lasted for one game each. Peter crashed and burned, and Jonas longed for his cigarettes. So at this point, I´m not doing much apart from the music, and that is basically my only interest!

Do you surf the web? :) Do the other members enjoy using the Internet? :)

M: Not much really! None of us are really into computers unless a great game is plugged in. I´ve visited the Opeth sites and so on, but that´s all. I´m more into the games. I´ve just finished Blade runner and Phantasmagoria, and are about to start with Phantasmagoria II!

Now for something completely different: it's been talked that you like Camel and other 70s progressive rock bands (nice taste, BTW :) ), but people always wonder what your preferred bands are. What are they? Feel free to talk about them as much as you want. Do you listen to jazz? Bebop? Fusion?

M: I have a very, very wide taste of music although I´ve cot favourites as everyone else. My eternal top three is Sabbath, Priest and Camel. I´m addicted to these bands, and there are times when I onlt listen to them. I listen to a lot of progg music, but I don´t like the new buttery stuff like Arena and so on. Actually, some of the eighties so called progg-bands look almost retarded, and I don´t like big synth or pretentious stuff like Marillion or Fates Warning. It´s too much for me, and not laid back at all. Camel´s the best progg band, since their music doesn´t seem to be very clinically produced.I also love Culpeper´s Orchard, Comus, Cressida, PFM, Museo osenbach,
Gracious and so on. All of them being very special blends. I listen a lot to older Wishbone Ash and rock like Mahogany rush. I´m also into some poser metal bands like Whitesnake and Europe who are great! I´ve been holding on to them since my interest in music began, and some of their music is timeless. I always been a fan of the Scorpions, everything they´ve done basically. I don´t know if it´s nostalgia or not, but I do like it. Beatles did some of the best tracks ever. In fact, "A day in the life" is my personal #1 of all time!When I listen to jazz it´s Wes Montgomery or Jan Johansson who are peaceful and inspirational. Soundtracks like Omen or Nosferatu are very
often played on my stereo. I like Popol Vuh, much of what the guy has done. Landberk is Swedens best Prog-band. Some heavier metal is also appreciated: Celtic Frost, Mefisto, Morbid Angel, King Diamond,
Entombed, Death, Bathory and Voivod.

Questions about the side projects:

Will your side projects songs be released by any chance? Oh, pleeease, say yes... :)

M: Steel has been released on a very limited picture 7" by Near dark! Sörskogen...I don´t know, there seem to be a big demand for this, but I can´t say if it will ever be released! I´ve recorded a new track recently, and will soon hook up with Dan to record yet another one. We have also recently recorded 3 tracks with Bloodbath which is a aged desire of mine. It´s plain death metal the way it sounded in the late 80´s. Consisting of Me, Dan Swanö, Anders/Jonas from Katatonia. I don´t think it will be released though.

Are the side projects kept hermetically separated from Opeth, or do you feel that they may reflect some influences upon each other?

M: None of them have anything to do with Opeth! I don´t even see them as projects...just a waste time thing, you know?

What do you think of working with Katatonia in the past? I mean, their music is much simpler than Opeth's. Did you feel comfortable with their songs?

M: Even though I write somewhat complex music I´m still able to know a good song when I hear one. Katatonia´s great band, and they have really captured a sound that has a very big hit-potential. They are better than ever before, and I´m sure this is what they have wanted to do all along. I worked with them since I´m a close friend, and I´d be glad to help them out again. They´ve asked me to co-produce the vocals for their 4th album as they are so satisfied with the way it worked out on "Discouraged ones". I haven´t said yes at this point since I think that they might cope on their own. Time will tell I reckon.

------------------

From www.metal-br.com

NEW ALBUM/COMPOSING

Guilherme Braga: Well Mike, first of all let me say it's a great pleasure to have the opportunity to interview you. When I wrote asking for this interview you said you were "busy in the studio", on (what I presume to be) the very beggining of the recording process for the upcoming album "Blackwater Park". I think it is a great topic to start off with: Could you tell us what we may expect from it, compared to previous Opeth releases? Is there any songs finished yet, and/or songtitles? Any comments are welcome!

Mikael Åkerfeldt: No titles apart from the title track are done. In fact I haven't started with the lyrics yet with only 6 or so days until I'm due in the vocal booth. It's always been like that, so I'm used to the stress. Musically this album is rawer, maybe more "metal" than ever before. Still there's a pulse that runs throughout the entire album that makes it swing real hard, you know. It's hard to compare it to any older albums really, but of course we still are the same band with the same influences. Eh, we've been listening to eastern sounds though and it will put its mark on this recording here and there.

GB: On "Morningrise" we had "To Bid You Farewell"; on "My Arms, Your Hearse", "Credence", and on "Still Life", "Benighted" and "Face Of Melinda". Are you going to present us another slow-paced, acoustic song(s) in the vein of these once again?

MÅ: We do have a mellower track although not as slow as "usual". This is more in a waltz beat with maybe some Jeff Buckley influences. I don't know. The vocal lines are very, very interesting.

GB: Will "Blackwater Park" be a concept album? If yes, could you give us some ideas about its story and lyrical concept? (and if it isn't, well, could you please talk about the lyrics anyway?)

MÅ: As I said, I haven't started with the lyrics yet, but I do know that this will not be a concept. I've done it twice on the last two records and I need time to chill, you know. It's just gonna be separate stories of desparation and the darkness.

GB: Talking about lyrical concept: some figures in your lyrics- the moor, the forest, the moon- are often present, along with feelings of melancholy and sadness. What are your main inspirations for writing them, and in which way do you try to make them affect people? Will "Blackwater Park"'s lyrics explore this kind of elements again?

MÅ: Basically I'm the same person as ever, and the lyrics are gonna be similar. It's not like I'm gonna cover grounds in politics or that shit. I enjoy writing these cryptic downer lyrics, so I'm gonna continue in the same pattern although I'll update with the years going by.

LIVE SHOWS

GB: Opeth has been/will be playing a considerable numbers of gigs here and there lately (Milwaukee Metalfest, Wave Gotik Treffen, the gigs in Poland, Progpower Festival). How has the crowd reacted to your performances? I mean, you don't usually play lots of gigs, so I believe the people fortunate enough to be at these places must really have reponded to the band's appearance. Also how do you (the band as a whole, not necessarily just you) feel about playing live?

MÅ: The Metalfest gig was awesome. It was our first US appearance and we sure as hell want to go back there for a full tour. In fact, all our latest gigs have been really cool. We'll see about the progpower thing were we'll headline the event playing 1 and a half hours. We haven't played in Holland since 1996.

MEMBERS, EX-MEMBERS, PROJECTS

GB: There is quite a lot of controversy amongst your fans about the line-up change which has taken place after the release of "Morningrise". I feel, from another interviews w/ you that I have read, that you do not like very much to talk about the subject, but I cannot let the chance to ask slip by: It is no wonder that the sonority of Opeth has changed since the departure of Johan and Anders (my opinion at least-which is natural I also think, since they were 50% of the band). How would you compare the two line-ups (in all aspects: getting along, playing, performing live, etc)?

MÅ: I would be lying if I don't "mourn" what me and Anders had together as musicians and friends. All that is basically lost know. We don't talk anymore. I haven't seen him in ages. He doesn't wanna talk to me I think. Johan and I were never that close and his departure was essential for the well-being of this band. With the 2 Martins we once again have fresh blood in the band. They're great musicians, great friends and overall eased up people like myself. It's the third real stable Opeth line-up and it's without a doubt the best one.

GB: Both Martin Mendez and Martin Lopez played in the excellent Uruguayan band Requiem Aeternam. Have you ever listened to the band, and if yes, what do you think about it?

MÅ: I didn't know that. They've told me about their old bands but never mentioned any names. So that's what it is? I've heard some of the stuff they've done before and I think it's OK, but they're reborn musicians now. Before all they wanted was to play fast and shit. I don't mind that at all, I love it as well, but if you're gonna be in Opeth there's more to it than being fast.

GB: And speaking about another bands, what about Bloodbath? Any plans for a full-length release?

MÅ: Not at this point, no. We'we been approached by Century media to do a Lp but none of us are really free right now, or that interested to be honest. It was a one-off thing and we'd like to keep it that way.

MISC

GB: What do you think of the Metal scene nowadays? Any new band which you are into?

MÅ: I'm sorry but I don't like the metal scene today at all. There's just a bunch of puffs playing. They should put their money where their moths are, you know. There's not many real metal bands out there right now. If left it behind...we're in our own little world that's devoid of any outside influences regarding new metal. I've had my 20 or so years being influenced by metal and I need something else now. But hell, if you find a interesting new metal band, let me have it!

GB: What have you been listening to lately? I always remember you mentioning progressive bands as your main influences, but I don't know very much about your Metal influences. Could you say a little about that?

MÅ: I basically listen to the same records as ever. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, King Diamond, Ozzy...you know stuff like that. Whitesnake are the stuff...I fucking love them! I got a autograph from David Coverdale just the other day. I almost fainted!

GB: Well thanks a great deal for this opportunity! I really appreciate it (and maybe hope to be able to talk to you once again after the album is released!)You may say whatever you want here: Any last words, advice, recipes and etc.

MÅ: Just wanna say thanks for the interview + sorry for being so late in answering it!
Cheers!

NEW ALBUM/COMPOSING

Guilherme Braga: Well Mike, first of all let me say it's a great pleasure to have the opportunity to interview you.
When I wrote asking for this interview you said you were "busy in the studio", on (what I presume to be)
the very beggining of the recording process for the upcoming album "Blackwater Park".
I think it is a great topic to start off with: Could you tell us what we may expect from it,
compared to previous Opeth releases? Is there any songs finished yet, and/or songtitles? Any comments are welcome!

Mikael Åkerfeldt: No titles apart from the title track are done.
In fact I haven't started with the lyrics yet with only 6 or so days until I'm due in the vocal booth.
It's always been like that, so I'm used to the stress. Musically this album is rawer, maybe more "metal" than ever before.
Still there's a pulse that runs throughout the entire album that makes it swing real hard, you know.
It's hard to compare it to any older albums really, but of course we still are the same band with the same influences.
Eh, we've been listening to eastern sounds though and it will put its mark on this recording here and there.

GB: On "Morningrise" we had "To Bid You Farewell"; on "My Arms, Your Hearse",
"Credence", and on "Still Life", "Benighted" and "Face Of Melinda".
Are you going to present us another slow-paced, acoustic song(s) in the vein of these once again?

MÅ: We do have a mellower track although not as slow as "usual".
This is more in a waltz beat with maybe some Jeff Buckley influences. I don't know.
The vocal lines are very, very interesting.

GB: Will "Blackwater Park" be a concept album? If yes, could you give us some ideas about its story and lyrical concept?
(and if it isn't, well, could you please talk about the lyrics anyway?)

MÅ: As I said, I haven't started with the lyrics yet, but I do know that this will not be a concept.
I've done it twice on the last two records and I need time to chill, you know.
It's just gonna be separate stories of desparation and the darkness.

GB: Talking about lyrical concept: some figures in your lyrics- the moor, the forest,
the moon- are often present, along with feelings of melancholy and sadness.
What are your main inspirations for writing them, and in which way do you try to make them affect people?
Will "Blackwater Park"'s lyrics explore this kind of elements again?

MÅ: Basically I'm the same person as ever, and the lyrics are gonna be similar.
It's not like I'm gonna cover grounds in politics or that shit. I enjoy writing these cryptic downer lyrics,
so I'm gonna continue in the same pattern although I'll update with the years going by.

LIVE SHOWS

GB: Opeth has been/will be playing a considerable numbers of gigs here and there lately
(Milwaukee Metalfest, Wave Gotik Treffen, the gigs in Poland, Progpower Festival).
How has the crowd reacted to your performances? I mean, you don't usually play lots of gigs,
so I believe the people fortunate enough to be at these places must really have reponded to the band's appearance.
Also how do you (the band as a whole, not necessarily just you) feel about playing live?

MÅ: The Metalfest gig was awesome. It was our first US appearance and we sure as hell want to go back there for a full tour.
In fact, all our latest gigs have been really cool. We'll see about the progpower thing were we'll
headline the event playing 1 and a half hours. We haven't played in Holland since 1996.

MEMBERS, EX-MEMBERS, PROJECTS

GB: There is quite a lot of controversy amongst your fans about the line-up
change which has taken place after the release of "Morningrise".
I feel, from another interviews w/ you that I have read, that you do not like very much to talk about the subject,
but I cannot let the chance to ask slip by: It is no wonder that the sonority of
Opeth has changed since the departure of Johan and Anders
(my opinion at least-which is natural I also think, since they were 50% of the band).
How would you compare the two line-ups (in all aspects: getting along, playing, performing live, etc)?

MÅ: I would be lying if I don't "mourn" what me and Anders had together as musicians and friends.
All that is basically lost know. We don't talk anymore. I haven't seen him in ages.
He doesn't wanna talk to me I think. Johan and I were never that close and his departure
was essential for the well-being of this band. With the 2 Martins we once again have fresh blood in the band.
They're great musicians, great friends and overall eased up people like myself.
It's the third real stable Opeth line-up and it's without a doubt the best one.

GB: Both Martin Mendez and Martin Lopez played in the excellent Uruguayan band Requiem Aeternam.
Have you ever listened to the band, and if yes, what do you think about it?

MÅ: I didn't know that. They've told me about their old bands but never mentioned any names.
So that's what it is? I've heard some of the stuff they've done before and I think it's OK,
but they're reborn musicians now. Before all they wanted was to play fast and shit.
I don't mind that at all, I love it as well, but if you're gonna be in Opeth there's more to it than being fast.

GB: And speaking about another bands, what about Bloodbath? Any plans for a full-length release?

MÅ: Not at this point, no. We'we been approached by Century media to do a Lp but none of us are really free right now,
or that interested to be honest. It was a one-off thing and we'd like to keep it that way.

MISC

GB: What do you think of the Metal scene nowadays? Any new band which you are into?

MÅ: I'm sorry but I don't like the metal scene today at all. There's just a bunch of puffs playing.
They should put their money where their moths are, you know. There's not many real metal bands out there right now.
If left it behind...we're in our own little world that's devoid of any outside influences regarding new metal.
I've had my 20 or so years being influenced by metal and I need something else now.
But hell, if you find a interesting new metal band, let me have it!

GB: What have you been listening to lately? I always remember you mentioning progressive bands as your main influences,
but I don't know very much about your Metal influences. Could you say a little about that?

MÅ: I basically listen to the same records as ever. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, King Diamond, Ozzy...
you know stuff like that. Whitesnake are the stuff...I fucking love them!
I got a autograph from David Coverdale just the other day. I almost fainted!

GB: Well thanks a great deal for this opportunity! I really appreciate it
(and maybe hope to be able to talk to you once again after the album is released!)
You may say whatever you want here: Any last words, advice, recipes and etc.

MÅ: Just wanna say thanks for the interview + sorry for being so late in answering it!
Cheers!

Interview from BW&BK #24

Here, on a 6:00 morning, a cool breeze whispers in the wind under a dark, navy blue sky.
The air seems thick as the moist, rich dew on the grass settles calmly,
a group of birds chirping in the distance as the animals in the near forest prepare their daily pilgrimages.
The atmosphere that embrace your average morning. It slowly rises.

In Sweden at the moment, it is exactly noon, mid-day, and Opeth vocalist/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt has just gotten up
, along with his roommate who just happens to be Katatonia drummer/vocalist Jonas Renske.
All that Opeth deserve these days is total respect.
Like they haven't gotten it already with their two previous releases Orchid and Morningrise.
But their new wonderous peregrination, My Arms, Your Hearse, is an immense milestone in extreme metal.
All this from a band who's last, Orchid, made people scratch their heads in disbelief,
enraptured by the band's extremely lengthy and uniquely arranged tracks.
And all this from a band that started out as a plain death metal act.

"Well," began Mikael, "I think that when we started with Opeth in 1990,
we had some of the long songs and some harmonies but it was still just plain death metal.
But when we recorded Orchid. I knew that we would be a special band,
just because our long songs and with all the acoustic parts we had.
There wasn't any other bands that sounded like us at the time.
Nowadays it's a bit different but we've changed since the first record as well.
So I expected us to be a unique band. It's just that people think we're a bit special."

Through the discourse of their career Opeth have slowly amalgamated their skills to create monstrous wonders.
Each album is a stepping stone, striving to better the previous one.
And with their latest, their evolution has reached a height that many up-and-coming bands can only dream about achieving.

"When we recorded the first record, we constantly listened to other people's music.
I've been working a bit with Katatonia, and I've worked with Dan Swanö.
Dan has taught me a lot about music because he is one of the most musical people I know.
He can play all instruments, he can sing perfectly and everything like that,
so he has taught me quite a lot. I listen to a lot of music like I said, lots of progressive music,
which is to me the ultimate kind of music since it doesn't have any boundaries."

But these days, like every other musical tag that grows, develops, and evolves,
'progressive' is destined to become a nebulous term.

"Well it's always been like that," Mikael replies. "Some of the '70's bands were called progressive gods or something,
but they are not what I would call progressive. I'm not really sure what progressive is.
I mean, what can you say? It's when you don't really care about people who
label your music, you know you don't fit into any kind of genre like death metal, black metal, or even rock.
You just play what you feel."

Are you a Rush fan by any chance?"

"Of course!" Mikael explains. "I've been listening to them since I was a kid and they are a really good band and
I especially love the drummer, Neil Peart. I heard rumours that he had cancer and he was dying.
I read an interview with him in a drum magazine saying that it was not true,
but I didn't hear that his daughter died. My favourite Rush album of all time is 2112 and
I like Moving Pictures because of 'YYZ' (note: this is the air terminal in my hometown - Nebularus)
which is a fucking brilliant track!"

Dream Theater?

"I've seen them live a couple of times and the only thing is that the vocalist gets on my nerves most of the time
but the drummer is just... I mean live, he's the one who really pulls the band up. And the guitarist is fucking amazing!
You know I still get impressed by people's musical abilities so
I really like to listen to that guitar wizard stuff and drummers.
I really love that. It's nothing that we try to strive for personally with
Opeth being like a wizard band because we're nowhere near comparable to something like Yngwie Malmsteen or whatever.
"Thrash metal was one of the reasons we started Opeth," continues Mikael.
"My take on musical evolution is that first start out with heavy metal and then you go into trash, death, and black metal.
The trash influences; like early Metallica is still a great band, I don't really listen to their new albums
(I sure hope not! N). They're too bluesy. But once in a while I listen to Master Of Puppets.
Of course I really like that kind of music. Still some, or
maybe most of the thrash bands of the 80's,
if you listen to Exodus and all that, some of those bands are still cool.
But, we don't label ourselves progressive thrash metal band. We're more towards death metal."

But let's not forget the obvious comparison. Yeah, you know all about it: Iron Maiden.
Opeth even did a stunning rendition of 'Remember Tomorrow' for the Call To Irons Tribute CD on Dwell records.

"We are all big Iron Maiden fans and paying tribute to them means something to us.
But we have already done a tribute and don't want to be labeled as a tribute band.
But of course Iron Maiden is one of our biggest influences.
It's like they were the first metal band you listened to. I still love their music.
I haven't heard their latest and I don't want to hear it because I don't like their new vocalist at all.
I really love Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I think they peaked with that album.
One night actually I was kind of drunk out in the pub with one of my friends and
Iron Maiden were doing this kind of football tour and we met up with them in the pub as we were standing there,
totally drunk, and it was like, 'That's fucking Steve Harris!'
So we went up to them and talked with them for like twenty minutes which was to me,
as a big metal fan, a special moment. But I practically fainted, like a girl."

It is these influences that prompt Opeth to incorporate a number of elements within their palette of sounds.
It is the way that they formulate these sounds that makes them such a standout band
within the Swedish and Scandinavian scenes.

"Well, in the Swedish scene, I think us and Katatonia are on our own because as you know there are
a lot of black metal bands here and there's not a lot of death metal bands anymore.
But I think the black metal bands can be sorted out into one part of the scene.
I don't see that we are with them if you know what I mean, they do their own thing and like Katatonia,
we do our thing. I think we are pretty much on our own and I kind of like that.
It's like when you're in a pub and you meet people in the black metal scene it's like,
'Oh you fucking rule,' and I'm like, 'Sorry I can't say the same.'
I mean, I'm not very fond of that, the new kind of black metal thing. Some bands are good, but a lot are not."

Another important element within Opeth's music is the use of acoustic passages that meld in parallel with
their heavy parts. Most of the time the acoustics hit the listener by surprise, unpredictably,
throwing the listener for a complete loop.

"For the first and second album, I was working in a guitar store where we only sold acoustic guitars,
so I ended up playing in an acoustic style. So many riffs I wrote for Morningrise,
I wrote in the shop when we didn't have any customers.
I really like the acoustic guitar and I think it's good conditioning for your electric playing.
Your hands get stronger and all that. And of course, I love acoustic guitars on the record, but I can't name an
acoustic album that has influenced me apart from Yngwie Malmsteen and Maiden in parts;
also Rush and a lot of the progressive bands I listen to today like Camel and stuff.
We didn't really plan to have acoustic guitars. It just came out that way."

Hence you wonder how Opeth create such musical treasures. Songs that carry themselves over ten minutes long
('Black Rose Immortal' off Morningrise clock twenty!), with all their complex but extremely delicate texturing,
acoustic parts, and death-harsh vocals countering clean passionate ones.
This all comes as something very overwhelming to say the least. Where does the creation of the musical balance lie?

"It's like, if we have three distorted riffs and we can't think of another one then it's like, well,
let's put an acoustic part here. People ask us how we write twenty minute songs, but it's really easy.
You just do it. Me and the other guitarist, Pete, would just sit with acoustic guitars and do the songs,
trying to make up the riffs. We just write and when we feel that we're done, we stop.
Usually it tends to be long songs, but for the latest album we have shorter songs because when we got home
from the Morningrise tour I started to develop a concept and we wanted to have more titles in the concept,
more songs, so we had to shorten them. But they are still long, just below ten minutes and we do
have nine titles this time.
"It's hard for me to put everything I want in a song into three minutes," Mikael explains of this musical creation.
"I really see each song as a different part if you know what I mean. It's like a very important thing.
When we do them we can't stop until it's all there. It would be easier for us if we wrote shorter songs
because we would get more airplay, and people do come up to me and say that, 'Your songs are too long,
' and well, that's their point
of view, just as some other people are like, 'Fuck, you're the best band in the world.'
And mainly we write to please ourselves and it's a bonus if other people like it as well.
So it's not an obsession or fascination. It's just that I really have to have everything in each track
because each one's a new adventure."

But let's cut to the chase. Opeth's new, and best album to date, My Arms, Your Hearse is an immense
leap beyond previous boundaries of creativity in extreme metal. This is an album that shall redefine and distort
the image of what extreme metal in the 90's is all about. It's an album of unlimited potential,
incorporating immense and intense arrangements, a perfect marriage of glorious power and emotion.
Songs are swiftly layered in a myriad of rich and and colourful musical textures,
textures which are obsessive and dark at the same time. Fans of death, black, gothic, progressive and
traditional heavy metal should all take notice. My Arms, Your Hearse will take extreme metal to new heights.

"Of course, it's still Opeth when you hear it," Mikael continues.
"It's a combination of both albums and new blood as well. Obviously the whole album is about...
death (laughs). When you read the lyrics you will figure it all out, but basically it's a ghost story this time and
I think it's significantly Opeth's style. But again, there's more riffing and not as much twin guitar harmonies.
It turned out a bit more aggressive than before even though we still have the mellow acoustic parts.
I think many people wanted us to do another Morningrise album, but that's not what any band wants to do.
You have to develop, although I don't like bands that totally change their style.
There's more normal singing and I had a cold when I was about to sing, so the death metal vocals are more aggressive,
the most brutal vocals I've ever done in my life. I wouldn't have wanted to do just all normal vocals because
I love screaming and I'm still learning the normal voice (there used to be rumour than Dan Swanö did all
the clean vocals on Orchid and Morningrise - N), so we have to take the best of both worlds.
Many people will be confused a bit because it's somewhat different but I'm almost positive that almost
all our old fans will love it."

Mikael's lyrics in the past have dealt with personal emotions, loss, and despair.
But do Opeth's lyrics tend to get even more personal as life trudges forward?

"Not really. That was the case with the Morningrise album where the lyrics were really personal,
looking at people in my family who died. I didn't think that they would inspire me to do lyrics but they did.
It's a very easy subject to pick when you write about death and ghosts because no can tell you that
you're wrong so I can just write whatever I want. I have been a longtime fan of King Diamond and his concept albums.
Like when you first
bought Them or Conspiracy, you were totally absorbed by the album, you sat there with your headphones and the lyrics
and you listened to the entire album and that is what I wanted to achieve with this album.
To make the lyrics clear for the people. The last word in each lyric is the title to the next song,
so it's all joined together and the same goes to the music."

It is also extremely gratifying to make the connections Opeth have between their layouts,
which depict some sort of haunting, desolate landscape, and their musical presentation.
Their layouts are very simple but extremely effective and when listening to their music,
it is a joy just to glance at the pictures, end result being a mystifying package of sight and sound.
There are no logos (on the Candlelight versions at least - N) and it is very hard to make out the band in the photos.
It's like some haunting and disturbing secret that the band hold within.

"I like the cover to speak for itself and the reason why we don't have any logos on our cover is basically
because it doesn't fit along with the cover. I just like a photo plus the band photos.
We like to keep it a bit mystic and secret if you want to call it that.
Like Bathory in the beginning. It was like, 'Who is this guy?' You know, nobody knew what Quorthon
looked like and that was cool. On the new album, the layout is probably the scariest thing you'll ever see (laughs).
It's kind of a rip-off actually. My favourite cover of all time is the very first Black Sabbath album.
I think that's one of the scariest covers. So we basically ripped them off. People won't say that,
'Oh this is like the Black Sabbath cover,' but it's the same feeling. We took the picture in the place where
I come from which is a beautiful place. So we're really satisfied with the picture on the cover, no logo, no band pictures,
no line-up. So it's more secretive this time."

Mikael actually informs me that because their original drummer was a really good friend and had left the band,
there were actual thoughts about letting Opeth R.I.P. But they had to forge onwards stressing that
My Arms, Your Hearse had to be made. All for the better as we here at BW&BK can't
help but say that this album is of a supreme magnitude, fully worthy of some serious attention.

"We've been a bit of an under-rated band,' Mikael concludes.
"I like to get out to a lot of people, I like to give a punch in the face to those
who didn't think we would be a real metal band. And I also like to confuse people a little bit.
I don't really like when people know exactly where we are. I like to be kaleidoscopic (laughs).
I like to surprise people. It's our duty as a band to surprise people, but in a positive way.
We will never record and album that we are not satisfied with completely.
And is we were to do an album where at the end we would say,
'Fuck, this is no good,' we couldn't release it because I want it to be an honest thing that
I could stand behind 110 percent. It has to do justice for me and for the other people in the band.
If you buy an album these days, you have to be blown away.

aaaa

Interview from Terrorizer

Opeth's much-anticipated third album looks set to firmly establish them as one of Sweden's
most talented and original musical exportsl. And "My Arms, Your Hearse" is nothing if it is not musical.
Guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt spoke the Gregory Whalen about... well, about music.
As a music journalist, one of the many things that makes interviewing Mikael Åkerfeldt
such a pleasure is that he is so completely and utterly in love with music. Not only that,
but when he calls from Jonas Renske's Stockholm apartment (the Katatonia singer
has temporarily taken him under his wing until he finds a place of his own),
he seems more than willing to talk about it.

"Everything I do has something to do with music.
It's the only thing I'm good at and it's all I live for right now.
We're very fortunate to be able to release albums and even more fortunate that people buy them.
I would abandon everything for my music. If I lost a hand or something it'd tear me apart.
This is what I've chosen to do with my life. I'm fucking poor at the moment and don't have anywhere to live,
but that's just fine with me because we're just about to release our third album and
I think it's going to be a popular record."

Indeed it should be, just as Opeth's previous two records were.
Why? For the same simple reason that 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise' proved to be so sucessful:
the music it contains is so goddamned good. Nothing more, nothing less. Opeth is not about hype,
not about image. Opeth is about music, the only music. What you hear is what you get.
Their albums are anonymous-looking affairs: The 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise'
sleeves weren't adorned with huge Death Metal logos; the covers themselves
were simply photographs of the titular plant and a picturesque black and white respectively;
the only band photo to be found anywhere on 'Orchid' was an enigmatic silhouette on the back cover,
while the 'Morningrise' shots were understated, out of focus and hazy. Yet while this anonymity
could be mistaken for some sort of attempt to create a mystique around the band,
Mike explains that it's a simple matter of taste then anything else.

"Actually, we shot a load of photographs of the band for the first album,
but the silhouette ones just came out the best. And we also tried putting the logo of the cover,
but it just looked better without.That's the simple reason why the first album came out the way it did.
But we thought that was pretty cool anyway, so we've done it ever since."

That must infuriate the record companies.

"Yeah, it does. 'Why can't you guys have a logo like normal bands...?!' Hahaha."

Opeth is the furthest you could possibly get from someone like Immortal,
who have pictures of themselves on all their album covers.

"Yeah, I suppose so. I just like the covers to be 'clean'.
I want a picture on the cover to speak for itself.
I don't want there to be a hundred photographs of the band in the booklet,
I just want it to be cover and music. That's the most important thing.
I don't care if people don't recognize me in the street.
Actually it's kind of funny when we play live. People come up to us and say 'Ah, so that's what you look like!'"

"My Arms, Your Hearse", as Opeth's third symphony is entitled
(and not 'My Arse, Your Face' as some wits have dubbed it), is an absolute stunner.
It would be easy to say that it is the Swede's best album to date, even though it quite obviously is,
and beyond naive to suggest that it is merely yet another fine example of the NWOSDM
(New Wave of Swedish Death Metal) aethetic. Opeth have soared above and beyond the confines of their native scene,
and transcended the boundaries of style and genre. 'My Arms, Your Hearse' washes soundtrack-like over the listener,
sweeping you off your feet with wave after wave of beautifully crafted, supremely executed Heavy Metal art.
Combining the more progressive, experimental flavour of 'Morningrise' with the fluency of 'Orchid',
the album is nothing short of a masterpiece. And it will most certainly silence those critics who,
unable or unwilling to fully digest 'Morningrise' , simply opined that Opeth
had disappeared up their own arses or wimped out.
Am I right in thinking that the general response to the last album went something along the lines of
"Yeah, cool, preferred the first one though"?

"Of course," laughs Mike. "It's always like that
. People seemed to like the first album so much that the second album was maybe a
disappointing to some of them because it was a bit softer."

And perhaps less accessible than 'Orchid'?

"I don't know really. The first one was mostly made up of old songs,
material from early '91, whilst 'Mornigrise' was fresh, new material when we recorded it.
Maybe the first album is a bit better arranged because we'd worked with those tracks
for such a long time that when we recorded it all the songs were complete -
the lyrics, the vocal lines, even the solos - whereas a lot of 'Morningrise'
was improvised in the studio. I don't know. If you ask me, I can't say which one I prefer.
I think they're both pretty cool, haha."

Did the response to 'Morningrise' in any way affect your approach to the new album?

"I don't think so. If it had we would have done another 'Orchid',
because I think, as you said, people found that more accessible.
But with 'Morningrise' I was really into that progressive stuff.
I wanted to have long songs with many different parts, so most of the material
I wrote was really difficult, really involved. I still love that kind of music,
I love complex riffs and everything, but with the new album I think we did something
quite different from our two previous records."

It couldn't be described as 'Orchidrise' then?

"Well...maybe. I'm not sure. The last time I was in England before we recorded the new album,
I found a couple of Voivod records. I was a big Voivod fan in the eighties,
so I bought some of the albums that I'd sold when I was younger and got really into them again.
I like that kind of disharmonic music. We wanted to have a bit more riffing on
the new album, not just two guitars playing totally different things like we had on our earlier albums.
It could be described as a combination of the first two albums, as you said, but
I think there's also a few things that remind of some of our really early tracks.
Before we recorded the first album we used to have really strange riffs, so I think we brought that back a bit."

Voivod make up their own chords. Is that something you experimented with?

"Not really. The riffs for the third album just came out that way.
I didn't really think like 'Okay, we've done two melodic albums, now we have to do a disharmonic one,'
I just wanted to try it out. Also, the concept, the lyric, for this third album was a bit darker.
It's a ghost story, so we wanted to make the music ghost-like as well."

This is where, 'My Arms, Your Hearse' really comes into its own.
It's a concept album to end all concept albums; as my esteemed colleague Timo Ketola
(the guy who designed Opeth's "O" logo - Nebularus) of Dauthus magazine so eloquently writes in his second volume,
"a vortex, a never ending vicious circle." The last song ends where the the first track begins,
and each lyric finishes with the title of the next track. (Example: track five 'Madrigal',
ends with the line "You are losing yourself/Hiding within the amen corner",
'The Amen Corner' being the title of track six.)
Confused? Don't be. As overblown and pompous as it may sound,
the album is in actual fact really rather subtle and tasteful in structure.
Mike, naturally, is feeling pretty pleased with himself.

"When I came up with the idea I was like 'Fuckin' A!' Since my lyrics are pretty hard to understand at times,
had I not done it this way, people might have not realized what was going on.
I wanted to make it so that when people looked at the booklet they would immediately recognize this as a concept album,
and I'm really satisfied with the way it turned out."

How exactly did the idea come about?

"I have always been a huge King Diamond fan, ever since
I started playing Death Metal I wanted to do a concept album at some point in my career.
I began writing as soon as we got back from the 'Morningrise' tour.
I started writing the lyrics down in Swedish, just to get a flowing story.
The lyrics are pretty cryptic, but it's basically a ghost story.
It's about dying, leaving people behind, being stuck in this world as
a ghost and trying to affect people even though you're no there."

The language of concept albums dates back to the Prog Rock bands of the early seventies,
and Opeth obviously owes a lot to them, but you've just totally fucked up my line of questioning..
, because I was going to ask whether you felt you had more in common with them than with King Diamond.

"Hahaha, sorry! But King Diamond really is the master of the concept album.
He plays several different roles on his albums, each with a different voice,
whereas I just narrate the story. But of course I'm also inspired by the music of the seventies,
because back then a lot of bands released concept albums and, well, I really like that.
Concept albums are more like a book of music rather that just a collection of songs,
and I think this album feels more complete somehow because of that. I'm very happy with the music,
I'm very happy with the lyrics and I'm very, very happy that they fit together so well."

I can see a lot of Opeth fans getting spectacularly stoned of an evening,
putting the new CD on repeat and reading along until they pass out.

"Yeah!" Mike enthuses, drawing our conversation to a close.
"That was the feeling I got when I listened to albums like 'Abigail'.
You had the music up loud, you read along with the lyrics...
It's a cool feeling to have everything in place like that.
Our albums aren't exactly party records anyway. You can't just put them on in the background.
I think it's best to listen to our albums with headphones and the booklet in front of you."

Interview from C.o.C.

With so many Swedish metal bands being accused of sounding too similar to each other nowadays,
there is one that certainly escapes such problems: Opeth.
Their ten or more minute long songs that feature no choruses or predictable structures
(rather than the occasional use of acoustic guitars, perhaps)
have certainly earned them that privilege throughout the years.
Of course, having such a vocalist/guitarist as Mikael Akerfeldt and the instrumental quality Opeth
always had turns them into a truly outstanding band. After two superb albums (Orchid and Morningrise),
Opeth are back with My Arms, Your Hearse (reviewed in this issue).Therefore, I proceeded to interview Akerfeldt
himself through e-mail in order to find out more about the great band that is Opeth and their new album.

CoC: There are two things that, I believe, immediately make Opeth stand out from all the other bands of its kind.
One, vulgar as it may be to mention it, is undoubtedly the sheer length of your songs,
which can end up being highly rewarding for the listener. Why do you choose to make such long songs?

Mikael Akerfeldt: We really like those epic tracks ourselves,
and I guess that's the main reason why we have long songs.
We don't actually write long songs intentionally; they just "turn out" that w ay.
I reckon we have a pretty different songwriting style: we can't quit until
we feel that the track is completely finished.

CoC: My Arms, Your Hearse presents shorter songs than your first two efforts,
yet they all merge into each other and try to sound continuous. Did you want to make the album sound
like one large piece? The relationship between the continuity of the lyrics
(a story instead of separate song lyrics) and that of the songs (linked to each other)
was not just a coincidence, was it?

MA: No. It was written as a concept, and that was an idea I had been thinking about for a long time!
I feel it made the final result be more in one piece, more complete if you will.
As it was a concept, I needed more titles to be able to tell the story completely,
and that's why the songs ended up a bit shorter this time around.

CoC: Speaking of the lyrics on My Arms, Your Hearse,
which I enjoyed very much, would you like to shed some more light on the story behind them?
What tale are you telling with these lyrics?

MA: It's basically a ghost story written out of pure fiction.
It reaches throughout one earthly year. Starts up in Spring, ends in Winter,
as you have probably already noticed. This was just to make it somewhat timebased.
As usual, I have chosen to write about death, as it is one of those subjects you can
write about that can only be based on what you personally think.
Nobody can tell you that you're wrong, you know? It's basically about
dying but trying to cling to people and subjects left on earth,
and even trying to bring them with you to death. A plain ghost story, I'd say.

CoC: The other extraordinary thing of the two I mentioned above is your voice
-- it really is remarkable. I'm not just talking about Opeth,
but also your participation in one Katatonia album and one
EP and also in Edge of Sanity's Crimson. What inspires you to perform such vocals?

MA: Dunno! I just love screaming my guts out, and I've been doing
it for ten years now, so I guess I've become better.
I caught a really bad cold the day before the recording sessions
for My Arms, Your Hearse, and it affected my normal voice --
but only to the better, I think. But I can scream even though I am totally ill...
no problem, I never lose my voice!

CoC: The length of some of your, shall I say, screams is also remarkable.
Do you just have a huge pair of lungs or do you use some sort of effects to achieve those long screams?

MA: I don't use any effects apart from the usual reverbs/delays at times,
but the screams you speak of are not fake, if that's what you're aiming at.

CoC: Fortunately, the rest of Opeth's music doesn't fail to complement your vocals.
How do your songwriting methods work?

MA: I usually come up with the riffs, arrangements and so on,
but I usually write together with Peter [Lindgren, guitarist],
as I feel it's important for a band to let everybody say what
they think, and Peter's my right hand in Opeth, so...!
We just basically hang around at his place banging our acoustic guitars until something comes out!

CoC: Has everything worked out allright with the two new band members [drummer Martin Lopez and bassist Martin Mendez]?

MA: Yes, I am satisfied with them, although we have to work more together.
The drummer has done only one album and a couple of gigs,
and the bassist has only done three gigs or so.

They are good musicians, but I have to work on them a bit to make them become perfect!
CoC: One of the bands you thank in Orchid is Katatonia, a band you have worked with.
How was it like to work with Blackheim and the other Katatonia members?

MA: They're my best friends, and I really like their music! But they are so lazy to work with...
They just hang around, drinking coffee and tokin' on cigarettes.
I've done some vocals for them and played a couple of shows. On _Discouraged Ones_
I ended up doing vocal lines for them, as they had virtually
nothing ready when they were supposed to start recording the vox!
I ended up being a co-producer, which was a different role.
I worked with them at Sunlight studios for a week or so, and it was cool!

CoC: And how was it like to work with Dan Swano on Crimson?

MA: Again, he's a very good friend of mine, so I could not refuse!
I really like(d) Edge of Sanity [Swano left the band a few months ago -- Pedro
] and everything Dan has done. He's basically a great guy and an incredible musician.

CoC: Swano produced both Orchid and Morningrise, and I know he enjoys your music a lot.
How important was his role in the development of Opeth?

MA: He did more for us than we knew at the time. He became
Opeth's fifth member during the recordings. He made many of the basic decisions.

CoC: My Arms, Your Hearse, however, was recorded in the Fredman studios,
now that Swano's Unisound is closed. How would you compare the results?

MA: I'll put it like this: both are absolutely great studios;
the first two albums [Orchid and Morningrise] could only have been recorded at
Unisound, while the third [My Arms, Your Hearse] could only have been recorded at Fredman!
MAYH demanded a heavier and fatter sound, and therefore Fredman was the perfect choice for us.
I am very satisfied with the results!

CoC: What bands would you name as having influenced Opeth's sound?

MA: There's too many to mention! Basically all good music influences us...
Black Sabbath, Camel, Morbid Angel are somewhat mentors to me.

CoC: Were you personally influenced by a specific vocalist in what concerns your usual raspy Opeth voice?

MA: David Vincent [Morbid Angel], Chuck Schuldiner [Death],
Quorthon [Bathory] and Christofer Johnsson [Therion]
all made a big impact on me when their best works came out,
but they didn't really affect my way of screaming.

CoC: What did you try to achieve with My Arms, Your Hearse,
relative to your previous albums?

MA: The only thing that makes us satisfied after recording
a new album is to feel that it's better or at least equal to the last.
There's not much to achieve in the world of death metal
apart from more recognition and more fans. I don't know,
we don't kiss anybody's butt, and we play mainly for ourselves.
We are fortunate that some people are on the same wavelength as we are.

CoC: What changes will there be in the future, concerning
the direction of Opeth's music and your vocals?

MA: I can't say now. All the new material I've written so far
has come out very mellow and calm. I don't know what it means!

CoC: There's a third thing that, if not entirely unique,
is at least unusual in Opeth: none of the original front covers
of your three albums so far had the Opeth logo nor the album title. Why?

MA: We started this on Orchid because it simply didn't look good to
have the logo there, on the cover. Afterwards, we decided to keep that as one of the "special" Opeth things!

CoC: What are your touring plans?

MA: I don't know right now. PHD are working to arrange a European tour for us, but nothing's complete at this stage.

CoC: Is there any final message you'd like to send to our readers?

MA: Yes, check out the new album! I hope to see you on tour!

Descent Vol.4

With the second album 'Morningrise', growing old and a third one under construction,
I sat down with Mikael for a small talk, a little about this and a little about that.
And a lot about "Morningrise'.I think that the first album (Orchid) is better than this second one.

Well. It is a matter of taste, of course. Many think so but many also think the opposite.
As for myself, I can't say which one I prefer. I want our records to hold the same quality,
I wouldn't want to be able to say which one is the best, all of them should be as good.
Now when we have recorded 'Morningrise' and listen to it, it naturally ends up more interesting to listen to, it's new...
But when one has learned the songs properly, then it becomes another thing.
Then one can listen to both records, despite the age. People have said a lot of different things about the records.
The debut was so damn popular just because it was a debut,
and if you release a good debut you usually get a less enthusiastic response for the second album.
It doesn't have to be worse but if you do a good debt there is so much you'll have to live up to.
Nothing can really tell if it is better or worse, it's just a matter of taste.
Then again, people will surely praise our third album, sort of... hehe. No we'll have to see what happens.

I found it most interesting that you said 'To Bid You Farewell' is the song people seem to like most.
That women would think so would be no surprise, but you'd expect it to get slashed to pieces in this man's world
that this scene is! Yes, I was actually shocked. We had counted on it that people would more or less hate it,
just because there are many who think we are black metal or whatever...
It was just a song we did that turned out very calm. It feels stupid to limit ourselves to only play brutal,
we like so much other music. We have a lot of calm passages in the other songs, but here it got more calm than brutal.
But it doesn't matter because we like the song a lot and we didn't care if people would hate it or not,
but apparently they didn't.It was definitely the most noted song although
we had another one on the album that was 20 minutes!
Lee of Candlelight got so good a response on 'To Bid You Farewell' that he once suggested
us to record a double album next time -a calm record and a harder one. It won't happen this time though.

I have always liked your calm passages but thanks to the last lines in this very song
I found it all to end up just to cheesy, like some typical mainstream pop lyric or whatever...

Sure you can interpret it as the worst kind of pop lyric, but actually for me it is more or less about love...
not too hard to understand, but the rest of the album is about sorrow.
It feels stupid to judge the entire song just because of two lines but never mind.
It was just lyric that I wrote and liked. The other songs are more or less about sorrow
in connection with death, but this one just came out different.
I'm not ashamed about that lyric.

Of course not, and obviously you are the only one who has the authority to criticise your own lyrics.
Still, a friend of mine said one thing that I found rather amusing.
We were talking about some band's lyrics but he said he didn't want to comment on them too closely because
'lyrics are so personal' - but isn't the music just as personal? This means we, who do not belong to the band,
cannot say a thing neither about the lyrics nor about the music!

Yes but reviews are kind of a 'necessary pain in the ass' somehow.
If I get a really bad review without any kind of intelligence -
if they only say it is 'boring' and nothing happens in general -
then it almost sounds as if he hasn't listened to the record at all because there sure are things happening all the time..
. Then I get pissed off and think "What an idiot'.
But I think it's fun with reviews anyway, that's the only way you can really see what people think about the music.
It's not that many people who come up to me in the pub and then talk half an hour about the record, they just say
'It's damn good'. That people dare to criticise the music but not the lyrics, that's because lyrics are just on paper,
you can read it, it's like a person... while the music just 'is there'. There are hardly many people that sit and think
'Now he's been crying when he did that riff', haha. Not that it would be so either, for that sake...
I myself don't write that personal lyrics, except for sometimes.
I try to mix it up. I try to constantly write about somebody else despite using the words 'me' and 'I' in the lyrics.

So, have you received this Intelligent Totally Negative Review yet, that you have been waiting for a good while now?

Well...no, I haven't seen it yet. A really thorough bad review.
Most of those who complain just mention the long songs and things like that.
If it was a magazine that you have respect for, somebody who knows music, it would be interesting...
it is sort of meaningless to sit and discuss music with somebody who just sits and plays computer games.

Like that 'Top of the Pops' label you got when Orchid was released.

'Top of the Pops', yes, but I thought about it and now I find it quite amusing!
This sort of grind guy, it is quite obvious he wouldn't like it...

Well I like some good grind too. But it is very interesting to get constructive criticism,
it is the same thing with my zine - most comments you get are not that detailed.
But then you hear from somebody who also points out the bad things and that gives
a lot more credibility to his positive comments too.

Yeah, but if it had been some little kid who sat and wrote on his mum's typewriter saying you couldn't write,
then you would have probably thought 'What sort of idiot is this'.

Ah, I think I would have found it comical. Anyway, in conclusion we can however say that
only receiving good reviews wouldn't be that healthy either...

No, I don't think so.

Enough about reviews. How about this piano song that was supposed to be on 'Morningrise'?
You were quite enthusiastic about it.

Yes, it was actually half recorded but we had so little time left.
We were there on month and thought we'd make it, definitely, but we really didn't...
We started recording it the last or second last day before the mixing.
Anders knew the song well but the keys are so narrow on a keyboard while he was used to a piano.
He tried to do it for a long time but everybody were so tired that he finally said 'Ah fuck this'.
Dan was also of the opinion that it would like a reprise from the debut.
It was a great song and we still have it in our hearts, so it might turn up in the future.
I was a little sad that it wasn't featured because I like it a lot but at the same time it feels good we didn't.
It would have felt so predictable.

But what the hell did you do that whole month in the studio, then?

It all took a lot of time because we did everything properly this time.
We tried not to repeat the mistakes from the debut, such as tempo increases.
Perhaps people don't hear it but it is very disturbing if you sit and think about it.
I hear all the mistakes from the debut, and from the second album as well, it is not faultless either.
But on this one we used click-track. But it was a rather extensive process before we started recording,
programming this click took ages.

Not that I'd be a musician or anything, but personally I think that if one is a perfectionist enough to use a click-track,
then it is not about music anymore... then it verges on mechanics. But then I know I am old-fashioned.

Yes, I know what you mean but here all the material was ready when we went into the studio.
It's so easy to speed it up. You can do that live, but it really sounds crap.

...in your ears...

Yes, at least in my ears, I can't take it. But with this click-track, we didn't have to bother.
We have so many stops and changes that we almost have to use click-track.
There is no chance to do everything live at Dan's studio.
I don't think it's fake but more like a small help that most serious musicians use sometimes.
Especially if you play such music as us with 20 minute songs,
then you'd rather not notice something got wrong after 10 minutes...
having to do it all over again. And it's pretty hard to hear,
you get pretty deaf of the music if you spend as long as one month at the studio,
so you have to rely on this kind of technical things, unfortunately.

By the way, another thing I don't like on 'To Bid You Farewell' is the Bob Dylan voice!

Actually we wanted to have a hollow voice, like on 'Planet Caravan' by BLACK SABBATH.
We found it but it didn't quite sound right. The voice we have now is a bit like on 'No Quarters' by LED ZEPPELIN.
I like it because it gives sort of a close feeling, I think... Just because it is quite dry, almost like on a telephone.
Not that it would be about telephones, not quite, but we just wanted to have a different feeling there.

And the length never ended up on 66 minutes and 6 seconds as it was supposed to be! Explain yourself!

Mmh, it was so from the beginning actually.
When we printed the first press on CD-R after having mastered the record, it was exactly 66:06.
Then, later, all the material arrived in England and Lee called me up one day saying
five seconds were missing in the middle of a song. We were like 'What!?!'
There had to something wrong with the mastering so some seconds were actually missing.
So they had to re-master it and then it got 66:07 instead. It's so typical, it never ends up the way you want it.
Now this was not a very important thing,
it was more like a fun thing that we accidentally noticed and asked Dan to add a few seconds to get there.

And the MORBID ANGEL shows in England last summer (1996 that is), how were they?

Well, they were fun. It was kind of a kick to play with them, as they used to be my favourite band once...
But it turned out that they were damn hard to get along with, it was all one circus...
They were very arrogant, to start with, they hardly said "Hi".
They were recording some live record so they sound checked for ages and that caused a lot of trouble.
At one occasion neither we nor BLOOD DIVINE could play because MORBID ANGEL sound checked from three
in the afternoon until eight when the doors opened.
I suppose they expected us to think it's so cool to play with MORBID ANGEL that we'll accept everything,
but that's not the case really. It's not cool at all to play with MORBID ANGEL if we sound shit...
But it was fun, good shows and there were a lot of people. They are one...
if not the greatest death metal band in the world. Or were, perhaps. So definitely, we reached a goal there.

Your next goal is to get them to open for you...

Yes, kind of! Apart from minor technical problems it was good, and the last show, at Astoria in London,
was the best one we have ever done. Everything was perfect.
In fact, we sold more shirts and merchandise than MORBID ANGEL on the shows in general, it's a good sign! It was fun.

Now to something different. Where are your V-jeans?

I wear them sometimes, actually. On special occasions...
I used to wear them almost all the time. Now it sounds like bragging but when I had them,
it was quite unusual. Now it's the thing, or perhaps it's starting to get out again...
Well, I don't know. I still like that style they had in the 60's and 70's but
I don't like to look like some typical neo-hippie.

Have they printed 'Orchid' on a black disc yet?

I don't know, I don't think so. I can't bother about it anymore.
The entire record was completely wrong layout-wise.
The only things I like are the front and back covers, the rest is a catastrophe.
The booklet was printed in negative, a blue fucking disc... but you can't say it's not original!
But I'm not sure it looks that good... I told them to print them black next time and fix all the mistakes but
I don't know if they have done it. It doesn't matter anymore.

It is worse with labels like the Greek Unisound.
On several records I know they have completely ignored the studio,
the band members, the address to the band...
On THE EQUINOX OV THE GODS' debut the only thing that reads are the lyrics and the address to Unisound!

Haha, no, that sort of label that really seems to be a crap one,
shouldn't ignore the band's opinion. With Candlelight we demand to take of all that ourselves.
The only thing he can say anything about is what he wants to have on the record, like the label logo,
address, distributors. We take care of the rest.
OK, the bill he got from the layout company was a fat one so it is possible he won't allow us to do the layout next time,
haha. But that's the thing that's so great with Candlelight,
we have complete freedom to do whatever we want to.
I talked to Century Media yesterday and they are very interested in us,
but I think they would try to changes us a lot to fit their plans (CM has now released both OPETH albums in the US).

Yes, they have styles MOONSPELL quite a bit...
it is like a completely different band today, unfortunately. Now, is there something special you want to talk about?

I can't answer to that kind of questions, it's impossible.
When you have to pose a question to yourself, it gets like 'Yeah but you can always ask about...' haha.

Let's talk about the new material, then.

We have done one song and started doing a second one
(far more by nowish of course, but DESCENT ain't no newspaper now is it? -
Opeth's new album is tentatively entitled "Everybody Dies").
And then I have written almost all lyrics, in Swedish.
I won't sing them in Swedish but I wrote them in Swedish to get them right.,
then I will translate them. It will be a concept album. I have worked a lot on the lyrics...
When you write it's so easy to fall into that sort of poetic bollocks,
but I want to write a little bit easier. We'll see. I'm going to a fair in Gothenburg and then
I will meet Andy LaRoque, the KING DIAMOND guitarist. He has opened a studio called Los Angered.
Now that Unisound Studio is no more, we are looking for a studio (the new album has been recorded at Studio Fredman
- Nebularus) and will see about Andy LaRoque's. I have talked to Dan if he wants to produce
us at another studio and he actually said he was interested. Our next album will perhaps get a really thorough production.

A really clean one?

No, not clinically clean like DREAM THEATER, but I mean that it will be a well planned record.
I mean, if I know that I do a mistake on a record and you can't hear it, then I don't care.
I am a perfectionist with the stuff that comes out of the loudspeakers, the stuff that people hear.
But we'll see what happens with the next record, it will be released on Candlelight anyway.

Interviewed by Timo Ketola

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mosh Zine Issue 4

This is a short interview with Opeth performed backstage in a rather noisy stairwell.
MOSH: How was your flight then?

OPETH: It was...OK. We didn't all fly over at the same time.

MOSH: Lee (Candlelight Bloke) tells me that there was a bit of negotiation for the second slot between you
and The Blood Divine. Would it have bothered you to have played below them on the bill?

OPETH: We...er, switch at every gig.
But there were a lot of problems because a lot of other people tried to sort it out,
but when we got together and talked about it, between the bands, we sorted it all out, so it's not a problem,
we just switch.

MOSH: The new album contains a lot of complicated and highly structured acoustic parts. Who writes these?

OPETH: We all do!

MOSH: Sorry, but I don't really know who you all are, and what you play.

OPETH: My name is Peter, and I play the guitar.
I am Mikael, guitars, Vocals. I am Anders, playing the drums. I'm Johan, Bass, and sometimes backing vocals.

MOSH: Were any of you musically educated?

OPETH: (Mikael) I had, like private lessons for 2 years, but that was a long time ago.
Otherwise I think er.. we're self-educated. We can't all read music, I think Johan can, but.. I can't.

(At this point a young girl arrived in a low cut spandex top, and distracts all members apart from Mikael,
who carries on answering questions...)

MOSH: How do feel about the Swedish death scene at the moment,
it's exploded in the last couple of years, with At The Gates, Dissection, etc..

OPETH: I think it's good. The big trend in Sweden right now is,
like melodic death metal, so, er, I guess we're all right!

MOSH: Although you have been around for quite a while...

OPETH: Yeah, we've been around for like, ages, since 1990 or something.

MOSH: And what do you think of At The Gates and Dissection?

OPETH: Yeah, good. We like At The Gates, Dissection are not, er..
my favourites, but I like them. At The Gates is the best at the moment.

MOSH: How do you class the music that you play? You don't like to be classed as Black metal,
do you? (Even though the band later contributed a track to the second Blackend compilation, fact fans).

OPETH: No! No...er.. we're some sort of cross between death, symphonic, jazz, progressive, classical.

MOSH: And what do you think of all the new Black metal bands coming out of Norway,
burning churches, and generally causing satanic mayhem?

OPETH: HATE...towards them. Ridiculous teenagers.

MOSH: How long had you had the new material ready before you got it recorded?

OPETH: Some of the songs were like, er...five years old,
like Black Rose Immortal, we've worked on for four years now, and some songs were written like two months before.

MOSH: Do you argue a lot on the road?

OPETH: Yes! We don't like each others farts, you know?
But this is our first gigs for the new record. We were supposed to go with Amorphis, but that didn't,
er...happen. Lee was also negotiating with the Dynamo festival, but that didn't happen either!

MOSH: Would you like to namecheck any bands that had an influence on you?

OPETH: Yeah, er...Camel!

MOSH: Camel?

OPETH: Camel. Iron Maiden I think, yeah, er... Black Sabbath, there's so many!
You'd need three tapes or something. Also, the soundtrack to the Omen. It's evil.

MOSH: How did you first all get together, as a band?

OPETH: (Mikael) Well, me and Anders used to play in a band in the late 80's, called Eruption,
then that band split up. So we formed a band, actually, it was me and David, the old singer for OPETH.
Er... it's a bit of a long history, so I'll keep it short. We formed OPETH, me and David, then Anders joined,
then we played a couple of gigs, then David left, then Peter joined, blahblablah,
then we got the record contract with Candlelight, and we asked Johan...

MOSH: When did you actually sign?

OPETH: We did the deal in 1993. Then we asked Johan to play the bass for the Orchid album,
since then he's been a permanent member.

MOSH: Have you had any bad experiences as a band?

OPETH: (Whole band laughs) We haven't seen any royalty money!
You know, we don't get fat off the music that we play, but we'll see what happens,
we only have one album out at the moment, so it might be, er... different in the future.

MOSH: Lee seems to be pretty happy with you as a band, are you happy to stay on Candlelight?

OPETH: Yeah, we're happy with the company, er...
we have had a few problems, and we still have problems, but we need to solve them,
we'll still stick with Lee. On a personal level...we're great friends, he arranged this tour, and everything.

MOSH: Do you mind if I ask how many albums you've signed for?

OPETH: No, the contract is for three years, the contract is for one year and one album,
but the company has two options, for two years more, or two albums. So, three albums.

MOSH: Cheers OPETH.

OPETH: Cheers Chris.

Opeth's latest album, MORNINGRISE, is out now.

aaaaaaaa

Resound/Relapse No.1
Sweden has definitely made its claim to fame with hundreds of metal bands over the years,
producing important and notable musical trends over the years. The whole Entombed/Sunlight
Studios sound which reached its creative peak a couple of years ago,
and now the At the Gates/Gothenburg style capturing all the attention in 1996.
But there has never been, nor ever will be,
an act quite like Candlelight Records recording artists Opeth
(the term "artists" used very deliberately).
Equal parts anguished black/death, stellar musical virtuosity, and 70's progressive rock,
Opeth are a brave sound amidst the hordes of today's Pantera wannabes currently haunting Europe,
and unashamedly have nothing to do with the "neo-hardcore masquerading as the new metal" stuff.
This band are beyond trends and beyond words. There is a serious depth to the works of Opeth,
and their two records ("Orchid" and "Morningrise") speak volumes more than any article or interview ever could.
Nevertheless, guitarist, vocalist,
mastermind and founder Mikael Åkerfeldt was kind enough to fill us in on the current Opeth situation.
The conversation began with some words about Mikael's recent contributions to the new Katatonia album,"Brave Murder Day".
Relapse: I've heard that you've contributed to the new Katatonia album ?

Mikael Åkerfeldt:
Yes, I've done all the vocals, except for one track.
Seth lost his voice when they were to record it, so they called me up and asked me to come down and do the vocals.
There are only six tracks, and there's one track that is "shoegazing" music",
a style associated with bands like Slowdive or The Cure. I think they will record a MCD in the future (Sounds of Decay),
maybe do one more album, and then break up and start a new band in the gothic/"shoegaze" style.
I think that some people will hate this album, because the music is more straightforward,
but it's really hard to describe. Some will love it, some will hate it.

R: "Morningrise" has apparently been doing quite well in Europe.
Does this surprise you, give such long song-lengths and such complex ideas ?

MÅ: Actually, I would be glad if only one person dug the album.
I think we have some kind of quality that some people find interesting.
We don't try to fool ourselves and play music that we don't like.
We just play the music that we like. The long songs is something that we've had with us for a long time, as well.
When we started off about 6 years ago we had long songs. That's just the way it is.
We don't want people to feel that it's a long song, we want them to travel with the song,
and when the song finished they shouldn't feel like it was waste of 30 minutes;
we want them to feel like it's shorted than it is.

R: It's almost like time travel. "Black Rose Immortal" is 20 minutes, but feels like 7 or 8 maybe.

MÅ: Yeah, that's what I want people to think! We just want to create some kind of adventure.
It's very hard to create some kind of musical adventure, but when I write the lyrics,
I always get pictures and see pictures of what the song's about, and then it becomes an adventure.

R: With that approach, you can tell that Opeth are very influenced by bands from the 70's,
who would fill up each side of their album with a 20-minute song.

MÅ: That's our trademark. I listen to a lot progressive bands from 70's, and some new bands, as well.
I think that's the music that appeals most to me, personally. It gives me pictures.
I listen a lot to bands like Camel, they're my absolute favourite.

R: What is it about them that separates them from other bands of that era ?

MÅ: It's just something that I can't put my finger on.
They just pick the notes that I would want to play.
All of the members in the band are totally into Camel.
I've already got Dan from Earache buying their records.
I hope that people don't have trouble with the lengths of the songs, but we don't play to them.
We play for those who like progressive kinds of music, and it's something of a small audience.
But we don't care, we want to play this music for ourselves and for people who have been looking for such bands.

R: You're pretty much the sole writer, Opeth. How do you present the music to the band,
it must be rather mind-boggling when you to them with a 20-minute song ?

MÅ: It's usually me and Peter, the second guitarist, jamming around and coming up with riffs.
It's most often I who comes up with the continuing riff, which builds it all together.
It's not that hard, usually we just sit and play. We then play what we feel sounds like a complete song,
and we may time it, and we'll be like, 'whoa, that 10 minutes ?!? Shit!'

R: What does Opeth mean ?

MÅ: It means "City of the Moon." It's from fiction, I stole it from a book.

R: Because Opeth virtually came out of nowhere, having just been signed from a rehearsal tape,
with even one demo recorded, you've been able to build a lot of mystery surrounding the band.
Even the artwork, lyrics, and band photos have a strong air of mystery about them.

MÅ: I like that myself, I like mysterious bands. Bathory in the beginning, nobody knew it was just him,
or who they were, or what they looked like. I think that's one of the reasons that we want to keep it mystic,
it gets a bigger interest. also, with the front covers, some people ask me why we don't have the logo on the front cover,
and that's not for being mystic, we just want the picture to be alone, not to be destroyed by the logo.
the pictures of the band, we just want a 70's vibe, that's all.

R: With your unorthodox style, how does Opeth go over live ?

MÅ: So far it's been really good. I think most people are interested in what we do.
Even if they don't like our long songs, they stick around and hear the music anyway.
For Opeth they've been turning out at the front of the stage. When we played in England with Morbid Angel,
many people were coming to the show. It was amazing, they were going crazy. I don't care if they headbang or whatever,
I'm satisfied as long as they stay in the same room when we play.
I understand perfectly when people just stand and watch when we play,
because we have so many things going on in the songs,
it might be interesting for the viewer to see what happens on stage.

R: You work on Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" confirmed your talents as a vocalist in addition to your guitar-work.
Additionally, I thought a lot of your clean vocal work on "Morningrise" was quite similar to the melody lines and styles
that I've heard in Dan Swano's Nightingale project.

MÅ: We weren't finished with the vocal lines when we went in to record the album, so we had to do them all in the studio.
I got in there with the mic, I was singing a bit, and Dan helped me out with a few notes,
and those are the ones that you're hearing. I really like Dan as a singer, and he's a great musician as well.
He is a genius. It seems like everything he puts out on record just appeals to me very much right now.
I listen to the new Nightingale record all the time, and his symphonic band Unicorn is really good.
I'm very much into their second album "Emotional Wavelength".

R: What's on Opeth's horizon in 1997 ?

MÅ: We will record a new album in March or April. We hope that people will continue to be open-minded,
we will always do some new things. We will see.

Thanks Luz, I had to listen to MAYH after reading that.

There was something in one of the interview parts about Mike doing a bunch of 80's cover songs, what happened to that? Did the idea turn into Sörskogen?

You're welcome dude, but those three interviews were post by Blackened Rainbow.
I didn't know what happen to that, could be that the idea turned into Sörskogen, I'd love to hear more of it. That would be nice.