Opeth Live: Lopez era vs. Axenrot era

Lets wait for Axe to actually have an era before any genuine comparison be made. 1 guy played on 6 albums the other 1, pretty impossible comparison. As I have said though compare the drumming on both of their first albums Mayh's drumming vs Watershed's drumming I'd take Mayh tbh. That is the only realistic comparison that can be made atm.

Axe plays the Lopez-recorded songs too much like a machine....but on Watershed he is fantastic..especially on Burden I love his work.But with the other songs that were recorded with Lopez,he sounds too artificial.

Forum n00b reply...

I like Axe and hes an awesome drummer but I do feel he may not be the right one for Opeth.. or at least the previous style.. to me he seems like a more straight tight death metal drummer where as Lopez added a lot of little things in like the Latin and Jazzy stuff.. as well as some very Dave Weckl bits (as i'm told by a drummer)

But hey Axe is awesome.

Axe's a bit tighter, he's a better technique, I think. Maybe not the groove of Lopez', but still impressing. Lopez' drumming on GR is however hard to defeat.

Axe is a perfect fit for Opeth.He offers a solid base to build upon.The dynamic is good and the newest album is a masterpiece and hopefully there will be more to follow.There is no comparison and no reason to be comparing.Opeths music is a progression forward....not a look into the past.You will have a hard time finding a more dedicated musician...the music lives inside of him.

Although I see that people are praising Axe all the time I really fail to see anything awesome about him. A very classical, traditional drummer with nothing exciting whatsoever, or I lack musical background to realize his grandeur..

dudes, it seems like there were only Axe and Lopez on drums, what about Anders Nordin !!! I think he's damn great !!!! I love his playing yet i never heard anyone talking about him.

I guess people, including me, rates him lower than the other two.
For good reasons.

To all the Axe naysayers i say this:

MAYH: Average drumming

Watershed: Incredible drumming

it didnt take Axenrot 2 albums to attain greatness.

lol i hate to compare honestly, i met axe one time and hes a great guy and a really good drummer, lopez brought a certain jazzyness to the drums. they are both great in their own way