Martin Lopez vs. Martin Axenrot

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Seeing Opeth in Worcester (5th time seeing them) this past Sunday, and sparked by a comment in another thread, I felt like commenting on the drumming of Opeth.

It's a good way to compare because I've now seen Axenrot & Lopez perform the same music. Of course, Axenrot is at a disadvantage because he's not playing music he's practiced and is 100% comfortable with.

I think Axenrot is a great drummer, and he takes absolutely nothing away from Opeth's live performance. I've noted several times seeing Opeth that they generally play at a slower tempo live, so I'm not sure that Axenrot is the only reason they've slowed the tempo. But what this comparison has done for me is shown how great Martin Lopez is (I already knew this). He has so much more feeling, and to me is one of the smoothest drummers I've ever heard.

Lopez is better, but Axenrot is still agreat drummer IMO.

MetalManCPA said:
Seeing Opeth in Worcester (5th time seeing them) this past Sunday, and sparked by a comment in another thread, I felt like commenting on the drumming of Opeth.

It's a good way to compare because I've now seen Axenrot & Lopez perform the same music. Of course, Axenrot is at a disadvantage because he's not playing music he's practiced and is 100% comfortable with.

I think Axenrot is a great drummer, and he takes absolutely nothing away from Opeth's live performance. I've noted several times seeing Opeth that they generally play at a slower tempo live, so I'm not sure that Axenrot is the only reason they've slowed the tempo. But what this comparison has done for me is shown how great Martin Lopez is (I already knew this). He has so much more feeling, and to me is one of the smoothest drummers I've ever heard.

Lopez is better, but Axenrot is still agreat drummer IMO.

I doubt its axenrot's fault the tempos are slower.. check out the 11/3 show thread, i don't feel like writing it all over again.. :wave:

This shouldn't even be a question. Martin Lopez is about a million times better. After seeing them live on Halloween with Axenrot, I was convinced. Axenrot's choice of fills just didn't seem to flow as well as Lopez's decisions. Also, his double pedal didn't seem as sturdy as Lopez's. Also, he significantly slowed down "When" and "Deliverance". Axenrot did an adequate job, and I give him credit for learning so many difficult songs in such a short period of time, but I'm definitely looking forward to the return of Lopez. I hope he's recovering. :-(

Lopez is Lopez. He is an amazing drummer, as obvious on his Opeth records and Once Sent. But I'm actually really looking forward to seeing Axenrot perform. I thought his job on Nightmares was a hell of alot better than Swano's on Ressurection. He seems like quite a talented death metal drummer, and am really looking forward to seeing his performance; I'm sure he'll do just fine. I have seen Lopez perform with them 3 times (got a drumstick once :D) so I'm certainly not missing out this time around. This should be quite interesting.

Fuckinell Metalman, you're still starting this silly threads?!

Do you live in worcester btw?

This is ridiculous. Lopez wouldn't be able to do Axenrot's beats any better than Axenrot could do Lopez'. They're completely different drummers with completely different styles. Lopez' style obviously fits Opeth better, so of course Lopez would sound better with Opeth.

dew said:
This is ridiculous. Lopez wouldn't be able to do Axenrot's beats any better than Axenrot could do Lopez'. They're completely different drummers with completely different styles. Lopez' style obviously fits Opeth better, so of course Lopez would sound better with Opeth.

I somewhat agree with you. In terms of technicality, I think they both could play eachother's music, but in terms of feeling, it won't sound the same. It's like saying Jimi Hendrix couldn't play the guitar solo on Cemetary Gates by Pantera, he defanitely could, were he still alive.

Wolff said:
Fuckinell Metalman, you're still starting this silly threads?!

Do you live in worcester btw?

Hey Wolff, you old forum fart.

Yup, that would be silly thread me.

And no, I live in between Worcester and Boston. Not a bad ride to the Palladium (and I don't mind the place), but I wish some of these bands would find there way into a Boston venue.

if we're talking about name, then axenrot wins hands down. what a fucking cool last name. almost as cool as joe kickass

but i bet we're talking about their drumming. martin lopez is one of my favorite drummers overall, so i'd have to go with him. axenrot can fucking play though, but i just like martin's style a lot. it fits in extremely well with Opeth

and to think, he used to play for Amon Amarth. he gets to show of his talents MUCH more with Opeth

MetalManCPA said:
Hey Wolff, you old forum fart.

Yup, that would be silly thread me.

And no, I live in between Worcester and Boston. Not a bad ride to the Palladium (and I don't mind the place), but I wish some of these bands would find there way into a Boston venue.

Cool, I'm in New Haven now...

I have some relatives in worcester, whom I visit often.

Keep rocking dude.

Btw, are misanthrope, soul4raziel, satori, lina, janet (!) still around?

Wolff? The one I used to debate with sometimes. Where have you been? and what inspired you to post here again? As far as myself, I don't post here too much. What brought me here again was the release of the new album.

Anyway all those cocksuckers you asked about are all gone, but I know where you could find most of them if you care to know.