Martin Lopez & Martin Mendez...Best Rhythm Section In Metal?

• Thread starter King Purple Rainbow
  • Start date
K

King Purple Rainbow

Now I'm still very new to the band, but from what I've heard, I think they are easily one of the best rhythm sections around, if not the best. I've heard they're great live too!

These guys just seem to be able to do things other metal bands can't or won't do. I'm talking about not just Martin Lopez and Martin Mendez, but the band as a whole.

Opeth rule.

They definitely play together like some of the classic rhythm sections: Bonham/Jones, Bruford/Squire, Peart/Lee etc... That in itself is a lost artform... no need to blow your load all over the songs- just hold it down and keep it steady!

Exactly!

They're not too flashy, yet have that epic style that's masterful! I would put them at the top of any rhythm section list!

I don't know all that much about bass or drumming so I guess my opinion doesn't mean much... Seeing from the live videos they seem like very tight players that do it good all the time, every time.

The drums and bass are understated, but always very good. I can barely hear the bass on MAYH, but Still Life on, it's usually giving some extra melody to things or "completing" a riff. I'm sick of metal bass that's pure flat rhythm.

Originally posted by King Purple Rainbow
Now I'm still very new to the band, but from what I've heard, I think they are easily one of the best rhythm sections around, if not the best. I've heard they're great live too!

These guys just seem to be able to do things other metal bands can't or won't do. I'm talking about not just Martin Lopez and Martin Mendez, but the band as a whole.

Opeth rule.

they are amongst the best, WHEN YOU CAN HEAR THEM! lol, live theya re completely drowned out. When they played Advent which is a song so reliant on bass, I didnt hear mendez at all.

Well, someone mentioned Richard Christy. Awesome drummer, who now, by the way, is the drummer for the Mighty Iced Earth!

The other choices are great too.

I just think a duo, they rank among the best, if not the best.

Yeah, people keep telling me his absolute best stuff is from Death.

I believe it. Jon Schaffer is somewhat of a control freak...well, that's kind of an understatement!

He won't let Richard arrange his drum parts. But that double bass on "Wolf" is downright awesome!!!

Ozric Tentacles bassist is brilliant but sometimes the drum beats don't change enough so I'd have to say that OT's rhythm section isn't the best on earth. Damn good though, they can really make you groove.

I would have to go with Tool for my choice. Danny is a mind blowing drummer and Justin plays his bass in such a unique way- you can always here what he is doing. And they compliment each other so well. Yeah, Tools rhythm section is great.

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow

they are amongst the best, WHEN YOU CAN HEAR THEM! lol, live theya re completely drowned out. When they played Advent which is a song so reliant on bass, I didnt hear mendez at all.

:eek: really? when i saw them, the bass and drums were overamplified.

you have to remember, though, that the album version was performed by deFarfalla, who had an entirely different sound. mendez works within the parameters of mike's plan for the bass sound.