Will The Great Martin Lopez Ever Return ???

opeth8

My Arms, Your Casket
Sep 29, 2005
USA
Well it's been 8 months since we've seen Martin perform live & I'm wondering if we'll ever see him again ?

I understand he has a medical condition & I wish him a full recovery. A man's personal health & well being should be his top priority.

Based on the transcript of a recent New Haven radio interview, I must say that comments made by Mikael were not reassuring. It sounds like he's not sure if & when Martin will return. I'm wondering if health concerns were just part of the reason for his absense ? Perhaps there are personal issue's as well ?

Ever since seeing the Lamentations dvd I've always felt Lopez didn't have the passion for Opeth musically. I remember Martin referring to Opeth as a job (which it is) & I also remember him saying he enjoys Opeth because of the slow intervals in the music which give him a break.

English is certainly not his primary language & maybe that resulted in poor interpretation of his true feelings. It's also possible that some of his comments were edited out of the dvd. I also understand that Martin is not an original member & even though his skills are top-notch, perhaps he's not allowed to express his idea's fully within Opeth.

I'm not trying to incite a conspiracy theory, but like all fans I'm frustrated that we have no answers as to when the "Great One" will return.

Opeth has become my favorite band & their genius extends beyond the greatness of Mikael Akerfeldt. Seeing Opeth live without Martin has been a difficult adjustment. Hopefully it's not an adjustment we'll have to deal with forever.

Best Wishes Martin
Hope to See You Soon

^^ ignore this guy, he seems to be having issues getting that pickle out of his ass... I certainly got that feeling too that Lopez may not be 'cool' with not really having the ultimate freedom that he wants. He claimed that he was happy, but he may have been just hiding his true feelings. But we do not really know for sure and this is just speculation so i guess we'll have to wait and see if he gets better in the near future, and see how things go from there!

I just wish we could know more information about the whole situation, i respect his privacy, but i feel as fans we shoudl at least know if he is planning on returning soon

Lightbulbsun said:
If Martin doens't return, Axe is great. What would you all think about Axe becoming the full time drummer, not just a concert drummer. (That's of course if Martin was unable to perform as Opeths drummer because of his illness.)

Axe looks like Legolas with a mustache.

the drumming held ghost reveries up tbh, the ideas and influence lopez has over the percussion was obvious especially in tracks like atonement and ghost of perdition (and they were the best 2 track on the album imo).

if he goes, alot of what I like about new opeth (deliverance onwards) will be missing..

Lightbulbsun said:
If Martin doens't return, Axe is great. What would you all think about Axe becoming the full time drummer, not just a concert drummer. (That's of course if Martin was unable to perform as Opeths drummer because of his illness.)

I love axe´s work with Bloodbath, but I don´t know if his style would be ok with Opeth. Lopez uses a lot of jazz and progressive things...

Well, maybe axe can do those things to, maybe not...

Btw, I really want to see Martín in Opeth, again.

GRANDE MARTIN!!!

i think axe is a good drummer, but he doesnt have groove....when he was playing closure at teh NYC Show, he was riding on the cymbals way too fast on the solo acoustic part....and with the main drum beat...it sounded so stock...i mean its not a hard song to play on drums, I aswell as a few others i know (Black Paragon) can play it with groove...anyways the point im trying to make is...if axe becomes the main drummer....its gonna sound like pre MAYH Drumming...that pretty strait up metal drumming...not to say pre mayh is shit...but ive come to enjoy lopez's complicated beats and fills....and damn..it would make me sad if he doesnt come back... :-(

MarcOpeth said:
I love axe´s work with Bloodbath, but I don´t know if his style would be ok with Opeth. Lopez uses a lot of jazz and progressive things...

Exactly, I mean Axenrot could definitely handle the heavier stuff but I think Martin's touch on the slower, jazzier songs have a feel that no one could match. It would lack the Martin "touch" so to speak.