Martin Lopez

What's with all the PMS on this board, anyway? Can't we all just relax and talk to each other like creatures who walk on two legs and have opposable thumbs?

It seems that alot of the people here are just pretentious cocks. I didn't want to reply to his bash on me and start a flame war, nice that a few people backed me up...

I have seen Hellhammer and Nile live, but Flo and Cryptopsy blew them both away. Lord Worm is an acquired taste, but is a great frontman.

I have seen those three vids before, but I do not think as far as theory and technique, they even come close to Flo Mounier. Just my opinion. I have to wait until they all have their own drum DVD's and check them out. I am not saying that these are not incredible drummers, but what I am saying is their speed does not match Flo's drumming "language". He is incredibly precise with his polyrythums distinctly separated between his hands and feet. Speed is one thing, and groove is another. You can be the fastest drummer in the world, but have no soul behind your performance. I think of playing the drums like making love to a woman. Slow, deliberate and tasty way outshines fast bang any day of the week. And that is the reason I love Opeth.

OPETH HAS SOUL!

I agree, at least with the first part :lol:

Hellhammer and George Kollias (i assume there were videos of them, and Flo, posted above, didn't bother to watch them though) are both incredible drummers. Both are very fast, creative, and Hellhammer does some great slower stuff (Arcturus anyone?). But Flo...the creativity, variety, and speed in his drumming...i've never heard anyone that comes close to him. His shit is so groovy, heavy.....i wish i was a drummer so i could articulate what i'm trying to say a little bit better. Point is, in my book, he is the best. If you don't believe me, listen to the "...And Then You'll Beg" album, you'll be blown away.

Hellhammer and George Kollias (i assume there were videos of them, and Flo, posted above, didn't bother to watch them though) are both incredible drummers. Both are very fast, creative, and Hellhammer does some great slower stuff (Arcturus anyone?). But Flo...the creativity, variety, and speed in his drumming...i've never heard anyone that comes close to him. His shit is so groovy, heavy.....i wish i was a drummer so i could articulate what i'm trying to say a little bit better. Point is, in my book, he is the best. If you don't believe me, listen to the "...And Then You'll Beg" album, you'll be blown away.

The performance and solos are great, but the real meat and potatoes are in his lessons that he gives. I have been playing for 23 years now, and have seen dozens of drum vids, but this one takes the cake. especially when he starts playing 16th notes with a single bass drum at 260 bpm. WOW!

Flo is definitely an amazing death metal drummer, but I just don't see much other than that. He works great with Cryptopsy, but he'd be pretty awkward anywhere else. If you watch his drum solos, he'll mainly just play insanely fast blast-beats to get the crowd going. Then he'll try to play something groovy or different but quickly run out of ideas, and resort back to blast-beats. :lol: Lopez is definitely a more tasteful drummer with plenty of death metal skills as well.

But None So Vile is still an incredible album. :headbang:

Where can I hear this guy play?

...and this ain't even the the tip of the iceberg with him. He's just :OMG:

Bear with all the Swedish. It's worth it to see him do whatever he does...with one hand. hahahaha.

etc...just click on as much Morgan links to the right as you can.

But one really needs to see him live....or watch the TRUM programmes that were made. They will be released next year on DVD as they're only available right now on VHS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey...why did this show up as embedded...all I did was copy and paste the link. *scratches head* What did I do?? How do I undo it so that it's just the link!!! Don't want to be destroying things for dialup people....(sorry)

Hey...why did this show up as embedded...all I did was copy and paste the link. *scratches head* What did I do?? How do I undo it so that it's just the link!!! Don't want to be destroying things for dialup people....(sorry)

If you look at the announcements you'll see that this is a new function of the forum: you paste the link, and it gets automatically embed.

Wanna see a great drummer? Try this one: Looks like a bank-accountant but plays like a beast! (solo starts at 1:45) Unfortunately vid and sound are a little out of sync, but you get the picture....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.
Does anybody knows the fact that lopez never had panic attacks and the reason why the band said so is because he just didn't wanted to play because he was tired of touring?
He is allright, he never had health problems and he is in at least one band.

^ BRING ON THE CONSPIRACY THEORIES ! ( evil grin )

If that is the case we can just respect Lopez. Same thing with Lindgren too.

Wanna see a great drummer? Try this one: Looks like a bank-accountant but plays like a beast! (solo starts at 1:45) Unfortunately vid and sound are a little out of sync, but you get the picture....

]

Dave Brubeck Quartet! Legendary stuff. Take Five, one of the best jazz tunes ever. :cool:

Ok.
Does anybody knows the fact that lopez never had panic attacks and the reason why the band said so is because he just didn't wanted to play because he was tired of touring?
He is allright, he never had health problems and he is in at least one band.

Do you REALLY think that he'd fuck up an entire tour for Opeth just because he "was tired of touring", like in the last minute? If so he's an asshole and I don't believe he is. But then I heard completely different rumors about his "health problem" that aren't as flattering.

That is what he said in an interview for a magazine in uruguay.
I don't know what you know, can you tell me what is the truth so?

That is what he said in an interview for a magazine in uruguay.
I don't know what you know, can you tell me what is the truth so?

Do you really expect him to go public with his private problems? And as I said, if the ONLY reason for him not touring was that he "didn't feel like it" he should have quit the band a long time ago instead of forcing them to cancel shows and whole tours in the last minute because of his reluctance to be on the road.

And what do I have to do with that? I only say I readed there.
If you have the truth you are welcome to tell it.