MARTIN LOPEZ INFO!

scoutmasterdave said:
I'm a relatively long-time Opeth fan (since MAYH), but I've never seen them live. They're coming to Phoenix Wednesday, and I'm actually having second thoughts about going to the show because Martin won't be there. His unmatched brilliance on the kit (unmatched at least in the Metal genre) is a major reason Opeth is so great. I guess I better go anyway, just in case they break up in six months and I never have a chance to see them again... :rolleyes:

I've never heard replacement dude play, but from the descriptions I've heard, I don't think I'll be impressed at all. Just sounds like another metal drummer. Please tell me I'm wrong...

Axe freakin rocks.... do not miss the chance to see them live. They are brilliant. And don't let the fanboy pussies talk down about him. They kick ass live... I have seen them five times in the past eight months, and they have killed every time.

He is not just another metal drummer. He is amazing.

Honestly, I'm kind-of prefering Axe to Lopez atm. I like Axe's little "death metalish" snare rolls on Deliverance instead of the tom fills that Lopez did. While there's still some things for Axe to improve on (for example hitting the snare a little less hard on Closure etc), I would be perfectly happy with Axe in for LIVE drumming. As long as Axe can pull off the stuff LIVE, I have no problem with Lopez being just the studio drummer for Opeth while Axe is the live drummer, if that's what it comes down to.

I got some inside info on Lopez through a friend of his. Would be wrong to present it in its entiety around here, especially since it is by no means confirmed information.

Allthough, the situation Lopez and Opeth does not seem to be heading into better times...

Hoped to get some Lopez info, but alas...
All I can do is wish Lopez the best of luck and courage to battle whatever he has to deal with, and that he comes back someday to grace stages across the world with his magnificent drumming and charismatic persona. Axenrot is not a bad drummer at all, he's just not Lopez, and, to me, Opeth without Lopez is like Rush without Neil Peart...

Cheers and good health to all!

So, a few things to think about with Martin's condition:

1. It's rare. This means that it probably isn't, say, leukemia. Both good and bad, I guess.
2. He's had it most of his life.
3. I read somewhere that it's something that runs in his family.

This narrows things down a bit. I'm guessing it's a really rare form of anemia. You all can play detective and try to narrow down what type it is. Some diseases are more common among certain ethnic groups than others, so you can eliminate some of them that way.

Or, we can all just mind our own business and hope that he finds a treatment that allows him to get back to doing what he does so well.

Seems like most of you guys here thinks Lopez performance in Opeth
is important. I totally agree...

There will be more damage done removing Lopez than both Peter and Wiberg!
They can always find a second guitarist and they managed well with minimal
amount of keyboards before. PLEASE don't take this wrong though: I think both
Peter and Wiberg are great (I even think Opeth has become better with Wiberg -
and I love Peters solos and style), but they simply aren't as important as
Åkerfeldt, Lopez and Mendez!

And from what I've heard Lopez's thinking about quitting for real.
He wasn't attending the GR release signing in Sweden either!!!!
Seems like he's gonna do some thing with like Wilson and some other dude... :(
If this is true, then it's cool, but I want him to tour and record with Opeth
as well!!

PLEASE LOPEZ - COME BACK!

The Guy has a Heroin Problem, Get over it, and he AINT all that, i agree Lopez is a Fantastic drummer but in the big picture he's not even in the top 10 in Metal, let alone all fields. I went to the Wiltern Show and Axenrot is Just fine behind the kit so all you blind buggers can open your eye's and realize there is more then just Opeth out there and anyone but Mikael is replaceable

Ebonic Plague said:
The Guy has a Heroin Problem.

Going to have to explain yourself here mate, Heroin problem? Where are you getting this information.?

If we're moving onto conspiracy theories, great, 'cause I think Lopez is the imperial high overlord of an alien race and is current in a cacoon where he is in the final stages of his transformation into one of them. So that he might return home and rule over his people.

Ebonic Plague said:
The Guy has a Heroin Problem, Get over it, and he AINT all that, i agree Lopez is a Fantastic drummer but in the big picture he's not even in the top 10 in Metal, let alone all fields. I went to the Wiltern Show and Axenrot is Just fine behind the kit so all you blind buggers can open your eye's and realize there is more then just Opeth out there and anyone but Mikael is replaceable

ok uhhh Lopez is in my opinion one of the best drummers in the world. there is more to drumming than just raw speed like you might think. Blast beats and pummeling double bass are WAY too overused these days. Drummers that you may think are amazing just cause they're fast, aren't really that good. Lopez has never recorded a blast beat and he keeps his double bass tasteful in the songs. He is, in my book, the most creative drummer in metal. now go jerk off to nile or beneathe the massacre if u want u blast beats and simple annoying speed drumming.

Ebonic Plague said:

It's just freakin' rude to say someone has a heroin problem when you are actually just speaking out of your ass. The person you are accusing may read your comment. Even if he reads and doesn't care, that does not change the fact that your comment is rude.

Well I think it's okay wondering why martin is not playing with the band but not because we are paying their concerts and albums just because we're really anxious about the guy and his health. I'm really worried about him, not only because the band is playing without him... just delicacy please ;)