Martin Lopez vs. Martin Axenrot

x86zero said:
So what's everyone think of Gene Hoglan filling in for Lopez?

I was just gonna ask the same question...

So... what's everyone think of Jon Tempesta filling in for Lopez? (you guys should hear Testament's "First Strike Still Deadly)

I agree though that Lopez has more feeling and I haven't seen that since last January...

Although, I did like Hoglan's accuracy^_^.

MetalManCPA said:
Seeing Opeth in Worcester (5th time seeing them) this past Sunday, and sparked by a comment in another thread, I felt like commenting on the drumming of Opeth.

It's a good way to compare because I've now seen Axenrot & Lopez perform the same music. Of course, Axenrot is at a disadvantage because he's not playing music he's practiced and is 100% comfortable with.

I think Axenrot is a great drummer, and he takes absolutely nothing away from Opeth's live performance. I've noted several times seeing Opeth that they generally play at a slower tempo live, so I'm not sure that Axenrot is the only reason they've slowed the tempo. But what this comparison has done for me is shown how great Martin Lopez is (I already knew this). He has so much more feeling, and to me is one of the smoothest drummers I've ever heard.

Lopez is better, but Axenrot is still agreat drummer IMO.
I like the slowed down tempos, it made it sound heavier.

Updating my original post, Martin did a fantastic job tonight. If Bloodbath didn't already prove it, his double bass is dead on. You could tell there were parts he didn't know completely, but all in all that doesn't matter. That double bass was flawless.

i'll put it this way, seeing axenrot made me all the more impressed with lopez's drumming. axenrot does a hell of a job. it's like saying (yes i know someone said something like this earlier) sure anybody can play bb king, but it still just doesn't sound the same.

lopez by far, axenrot is too much of a death metal drummer for opeth, he has no dynamics, i saw him in the nyc show last week and he was just hitting the snare to hard on the softer parts, plain and simple. he doesnt have the little flares that lopez throws in.

Just thought, as a drummer, I'd step in....

...and pretty much confirm what everyone else has been saying. I was rather afraid that alot of people (guitarists especially :yell: ) wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but this does not seem to be the case. Axenrot performed admirably at the show I saw...don't get me wrong, but Lopez is king. His dynamic control and groove is impeccable, and his playing especially on the Lamentations DVD is highly inspirational to me as a player. Yes, he does speed up ocassionally...but, to be perfectly honest, I actually rather like such "human" traits. Axenrot was solid as hell, but the show I saw had a kind of stale feel to it. Granted, it was still an Opeth show, but Martin just brings so much energy and passion to the music. People who mentioned that Opeth performs their songs slower live....what about the Lepar Affinity on Lamentations? :tickled: They performed that one like 50% faster than on the record, and kept it tight to boot!

I hope every day that Martin recovers so that he will be back in action in time for the band's promised tour this February. :headbang: