Opeth Live: Lopez era vs. Axenrot era

Ok lets just sum up, Axe actually makes the band seem more together live. But Lopez was a creative genius on the drums, there we go.

thank you. thats what ive been trying to get across the whole time. sorry if i wasnt clear in that. really though, i dont wanna spread bad feelings. we cool?

Lopez flubs several times on the Lamentations DVD, the most obvious I can think of off the top of my head being Master's Apprentices during the fill into the second cycle of the "Sever my fate from my body" riff.

My take on this subject is both of these guys are pretty damn good. Comparing them on an internet forum to the point of namecalling and arguing is futile, pointless, and gay.

Axe's drumming on the Tapes is really starting to grow on me. I'm starting to have a soft place in my heart for those hard snare hits.

I cant honestly say I was impressed by any of the soft parts Lopez played on MAYH, so I wouldnt be surprised if Axe needs a few albums to really find his groove on the softer material.

well one thing i know..TNATSW had this drum drum part ( arnd 8:42 to 9:00)
on the morningrise cd whereas the roundhouse tapes i dun think axe played that part..wonder y..

theres most probably a post on this one befor this.. but i cant find it..><

well one thing i know..TNATSW had this drum drum part ( arnd 8:42 to 9:00)
on the morningrise cd whereas the roundhouse tapes i dun think axe played that part..wonder y..

theres most probably a post on this one befor this.. but i cant find it..><

do you mean the double kick part? Because he is playing that. Could also have something to do with the fading in guitar on morningrise.

im not sure of the term to use.. ( not really playing any instruments ><) but the part that starts at 8:46 until 8:55 to be exact..( i wasnt listening to it when i posted the other reply)..cuz i really like the drumming there..

Holy shit reviewing someone's playing on an album before the album comes out has got to be the dumbest thing that has gone on in these forums for years. I'm not talking about the The Tapes, I'm speaking of the general perception that people are getting about what Axe's drumming will be on the upcoming album. Lopez played in Amon Amarth before Opeth and his style wasn't even half as developed as it became after he'd been with Opeth for a few years. The style of band that Lopez previously played in called for that sort of drumming. Likewise, Axe's drumming in Bloodbath calls for a more straightforward style than Opeth calls for. There's no telling what his drumming will sound like when he's able to experiment and use different influences the way Mike allows his bandmates to do.

It MAY be a huge disappointment, but then again it MAY be a huge surprise. Let's just give him a chance and move on until then.

Lopez played in Amon Amarth before Opeth and his style wasn't even half as developed as it became after he'd been with Opeth for a few years. The style of band that Lopez previously played in called for that sort of drumming. Likewise, Axe's drumming in Bloodbath calls for a more straightforward style than Opeth calls for. There's no telling what his drumming will sound like when he's able to experiment and use different influences the way Mike allows his bandmates to do.

It MAY be a huge disappointment, but then again it MAY be a huge surprise. Let's just give him a chance and move on until then.

Thats a really good example there, never thought of it that way.

They are both amazing drummers. Axe wouldn't be in Opeth if he wasn't an amazing drummer. The Roundhouse Tapes can attest to his perfect integration into the Opeth sound.

Lopez has one of the most unique and original drumming styles in metal...he is missed...sigh. :cry: His jazzy, off style of drumming is one of the things that drew me to Opeth in the first place. On Lamentations he does flub up a couple of parts, but to me his live mistakes add to his superior skill. I don't care for a drummer that replicates live exactly what they did on a record, I like to hear variations, the human element, improv. Lopez had a way with hi-hats and really creative fills; he didn't always just "keep time" like so many other metal drummers. He also added a foreign flair to his drumming, and his use of hand drums was phenomenal.

What I would have given to hear a strictly improvisational piece from Lopez...

For the record, I think that his drumming with Amon Amarth was pretty damn good. You can hear his trademark hi-hat tom foolery all over "Once sent from the Golden Hall".

Comparing Lopez and Axe is pointless.

Holy shit reviewing someone's playing on an album before the album comes out has got to be the dumbest thing that has gone on in these forums for years. I'm not talking about the The Tapes, I'm speaking of the general perception that people are getting about what Axe's drumming will be on the upcoming album. Lopez played in Amon Amarth before Opeth and his style wasn't even half as developed as it became after he'd been with Opeth for a few years. The style of band that Lopez previously played in called for that sort of drumming. Likewise, Axe's drumming in Bloodbath calls for a more straightforward style than Opeth calls for. There's no telling what his drumming will sound like when he's able to experiment and use different influences the way Mike allows his bandmates to do.

+1

The best post on this thread.

lopez all the fuckin way! did you listen to any of the past six recordings? to bad he left....I mean ax didn't even get the tee tee part on the first part of windowpane's lead brake. you know da da da da da, tee tee teetee, da da da da da.. remember?might seem stupid but to me little things mean alot.

Having seen them multiple times with Lopez and once with Axenrot, I can definitely say that in my opinion, Lopez fit in a lot better. That's to be expected, of course...Opeth built and honed much of their sound with him behind the kit, so certainly the nuances and subtleties of his playing became a hallmark of that sound. As someone said earlier, every musician has their inherent tendencies and their own style of playing, and Axenrot is no exception. He brings a less loose, more rigid style to Opeth that I don't think fits in as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling him a bad drummer by any stretch of the imagination. He's a very skilled and talented guy. Just putting forth my opinion and the saddening [to me] fact that it's unlikely Opeth will ever sound like they once did.

By way of digression...I thought Hoglan did a great job emulating Lopez when I saw them with him behind the kit...