martin lopez quits opeth

Axe kicks serious arse; I recently saw him in Brisbane. I mean, I was a bit disappointed with Ghost Reveries, but hopefully Axe will help them go back to the My Arms, Your Hearse era. Losing Lopez is upsetting though, because I miss that jazzy feel. Can't waitt o find out about his new project.

~random~ said:
I mean, I was a bit disappointed with Ghost Reveries, but hopefully Axe will help them go back to the My Arms, Your Hearse era.
I really think that depends on Mike. They've done My Arms, Your Hearse and it was the gateway into this style.
While Axe can be considered a Lopez in that era (because Lopez was a fairly straight forward drummer at the time), I want to see what he is capable of and remaking MAYH will not do that.
But in the end, Mike is going to write the album he wants to write and the band will take in the direction they want to take that material in.

winters epilogue said:
But in the end, Mike is going to write the album he wants to write and the band will take in the direction they want to take that material in.

I know, but it doesn't mean I can't wish for a good album that will make me cry. I'm serious, MAYH and Still Life nearly do that to me.

Tumn said:
I'm a hardcore Opeth fan and by no means am I upset over Axenrot as being the replacement, he is fucking fantastic. Beat the shit out of the drums last tour at the Chicago Chronology show which was by far the best performance ever of Opeth!

Aye! I saw Opeth in Houston, and Axe was flawless!!! And besides, Lopez missed month after month of touring from breakdowns that started at the tail end of their last string of tours before Ghost Reveries was even written. He had a nice long break, and when he couldn't step up, it should've been clear that something had to change.

My question is: is Mendez going to leave as well? Lopez and Mendez have been playing together since childhood. They came to Sweden together and joined Opeth together....