Martin Lopez leaves Opeth

MadTinus

Language enthusiast
May 7, 2002
Utrecht, Netherlands
www.facebook.com
From Opeth.com:

Martin Lopez leaves Opeth!
After several months away from his drumming duties in Opeth Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot who's been filling in for the last 5 tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Mikael Åkerfeldt: " However sad I and the rest of the band feel in light of Lopez departure I want to thank him for his incredible work with Opeth and immense dedication to the band. We recorded some classic stuff together and he obviously had an enormous impact on our sound. I now feel very excited to hear the material of his own band. In the meantime Opeth fans can rest assured that we'll continue jamming it out with Axe and we all have high expectations about our coming musical ventures "

Watch this spot for updates on Martin Lopez.

Roadrunner will issue a special edition deluxe version of "Ghost reveries" on the 25 th of July.

Bonus material include a 40 minute documentary about the making of the record complete with the bands own private tour footage, a cover of Deep Purple's "Soldier of fortune" recorded for UK's BBC radio, the video for "The grand conjuration", liner notes, photos, enhanced 24 page booklet, deluxe sleeve, and 5.1 surround exclusive mix of the record made by original mixed/engineer Jens Bogren.

The rumoured collaboration between Mikael Åkerfeldt, Steven Wilson (Porcupine tree) and Mike Portnoy (Dream theater) will probably become reality in a near future. The project will maintain a low key and interviews will be sparse. This will be a sheer musical communion that its members wish to keep clear of the "supergroup" hype.

Opeth's "Ghost reveries" has been nominated in the "Album of the year 2005" category for UK's Metal Hammer magazine annual awards. The award is handed out on the 12 th of June at London Camden's "Koko".

In related news, Per Wiberg's heavy rock sensation Spiritual beggars have recently released a London taped live DVD entitled "Live fire". Recommended!
Fuck... That sucks, I'm also not too enthusiastic about Axe being his permanent replacement, he did OK live, but he's not near as good as Lopez..

This is bad news. I'm sure Opeth will continue to record great music though. However, Martin Lopez's drumming style will definitely be missed with Opeth. Personally, I found Lopez's drumming to be the primary reason I enjoyed Ghost Reveries...good music all around, but his drumming made the album in my humble opinion.

This is one thing I don`t wonder about because their music is getting boring for listeners and may be for the bandmembers, too.
I don`t like them since Ghost reveries and think that their last records had not the quality like the first ones.

I don`t know why Lopez leaves Opeth but I think this could be one reason.

I don`t care about that anymore

Axenrot was in Bloodbath (Nightmares Made Flesh) I know there are others too (Witchery, Satanic Slaughter, etc) haven't heard 'em though.

Though it's a shame to lose Lopez (was listening to BWP the other day and only noticed for the first time just how varied his style is), I'm sure Axenrot will do a great job when given the chance to be in studio with Opeth. Though it may have kicked much more ass if they'd worked something out with Gene Hoglan to fill in in the studio ... could've brought a whole new dimension (and level of ass-whoopin heavyness!) to Opeth.

0tarion said:
This is one thing I don`t wonder about because their music is getting boring for listeners and may be for the bandmembers, too.
I don`t like them since Ghost reveries and think that their last records had not the quality like the first ones.

I don`t know why Lopez leaves Opeth but I think this could be one reason.

I don`t care about that anymore

No its because he has panic attacks when playing with them and apparently he drums in like a really peaceful enviorment now and stuff, he also has a blood disorder.

This is really sad news.

I still remember Lopez's good ol' days in Amon Amarth...anyway I'll miss hearing him in opeth...
well at least we'll get a chance to see Lopez's last moments with Opeth on the documentry on the deluxe edition of GR.
on the bright side of things perhaps now that Axe is a permenant drummer for opeth and him and Mike pretty much share a schedule is Mike's oportunity to return to bloodbath...unless off course blooadbath has already found someone else.

To me, this is really sad. I loved Martin Lopez's drumming in Opeth. I found it to be very fitting and dynamic. Additionally, he is the original musician found on many of the band's albums (and so it was special to see him perform those songs). It won't be the same, but I am glad that the band will continue.

I'm also curious about his new project.

paradoxile said:
I still remember Lopez's good ol' days in Amon Amarth...

yeah man... his drumming in "once sent from the golden hall" is so great, i can't stop to bang my head ^^ he really kicks ass!

MadTinus said:
Yeah, it was probably posted the moment we were talking about it as the update is dated 12 May.

There must be some kind of magic going on I'm sure...

We should check the sites of the other bands we talked about during the traffic jam, you never know... :dopey: