Lopez Leaves Opeth

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
From Opeth's site:

Martin Lopez leaves Opeth!

After several months away from his drumming duties in Opeth Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot who's been filling in for the last 5 tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Mikael Åkerfeldt: " However sad I and the rest of the band feel in light of Lopez departure I want to thank him for his incredible work with Opeth and immense dedication to the band. We recorded some classic stuff together and he obviously had an enormous impact on our sound. I now feel very excited to hear the material of his own band. In the meantime Opeth fans can rest assured that we'll continue jamming it out with Axe and we all have high expectations about our coming musical ventures "

Not suprising. I saw Opeth with Lopez once though in 2003, good show. I missed the last two tours with Axenrot though as I was out of town and the last one skipped my area. Seen them in 2004 and 2005 with Gene Hoglan though.

Moonlapse said:
Yep. Not entirely unexpected, I have to say. At the very least, Axe has become adept at playing the older tracks, and I'm sure his run with Opeth will be good.
i feel the same way. Lopez was in my opinion a better fit and a better drummer, but Axe is talented enough to sit in, as he's proven.

axe has gotten much better since he started playing in opeth. now he can play all the old MAYH and Still life stuff like dead on, plus he is really good in bloodbath, so i think it will be a good fit.

and yeah chris amott looks like paul gilbert

I think it's sad, but a lot of people saw this coming. I just hope that Axe is able to write parts as well as Lopez. He was great when I saw them live on the old songs, so he definitely has a good understanding of the feel that's necesarry.

It's sad, but I think Axe is a great drummer so it's okay with me. Nice to see mike not getting all huffy about it as some band leaders do when a member leaves. I think that's very professional, and overall nice of him.

I just want to chime in about how its odd a drummer's nickname is "axe". I understand that its in his last name, but, its still weird.

I found it very sad but not unexpected at all.

I liked Lopez alot but alot because last time i saw him play with them he just came out the back of the joint and sat talking to us for a fucking long time. Seemed like a really nice guy.

Im happy that its Axe, i know hell fit in more with Opeth with time.

When i saw Axe play i was seriously impressed, plus at a few points the level that the drums had been put on was shaking like fuck and the overheads were swinging. Looked fucken brutal. Go Axe.

Yeah...it is pretty sad that he is gone. But whatever. I think Axe will be a great fit for the heavy stuff. I will be interested to hear what he will do for their acoustic parts. It should be pretty neat to hear.

KeithRT99 said:
and yeah chris amott looks like paul gilbert

exactly what i was thinking.

so long as opeth can carry on playing as usual and possibly recording (?) to their usual standard then there shouldn't be a problem, but i think it's always difficult when a band member leaves in some way.

Polpotkin said:
From what i've heard, Lopez has had some problems with drugs... "illness" :zombie: :puke:

In all fairness (and I have heard similar things from credible sources) I might argue that perhaps it is his health problems that have driven him to "self-medicate." He is a fantastic drummer and I hope for the best for him. I respect him as much as John Bonham.

Ravenous Enemy said:
err, this is a bit OT OT..., but http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison-eng/e-artist/e-christopheramott.html chirs amott is un-metalifying!!!

sorry

WTF?!

ah fuggit....even with his gay style he could still shred circles around me, he's a smokin' player :worship: when playing AE songs, with mike's leads it's mostly about nailing the *feel* of the leads, the vibrato and stuff, as the actual notes aren't exactly difficult to execute. chris is total madness, though. total yngwie school :headbang:

ah yeah, back to topic...frankly, i don't care. i don't listen to opeth :lol: