martin lopez quits opeth

Tumn said:
Axenrot is the man to fill in, but if this causes Bloodbath to suffer, I will be very upset!
That’s what sucks about your/my favorite band being a side project. Its actually very frustrating to be a Bloodbath fan, all the members are busy with there "real" bands, there are no updates on the singer situation, no alleged live DVD or information of any kind and now the drummer joined an international touring act. Throw a dog a bone please! :confused:

we won't really know if he can't fill in the shoes of Lopez until they release a new album. Playing music by someone else is different than playing your own. personally, i think its pretty cool that Axe is the new drummer :)

Mike posted this on the Opeth forum -

Mikael Åkerfeldt

Hi guys!

I understand you're quite upset with this news and so am I! I've been playing with Lopez for almost 10 years!
But you have to understand that we wouldn't bring in just any kind of drummer for this band. I have been playing with Anders, Lopez, Hoglan and now Axe. Come on, my references are pretty OK, right? Have you played with these guys? Is that why you have such a valid opinion on how they are? I know, all of them are different, all of them have strong sides and weak sides.

I would never take anything away from Lopez brilliance as a drummer, but you also have to know that I have been involved in the making of every drum beat on every record. The drums is the result of a collaboration between Lopez and me. I had ideas, he had ideas, and that's the way we worked. On top of everything I made complete (with drumbeats) demos at my house for every record.

Axe and myself are going to make you eat your bashing comments, just wait and see...

Cheers guys
Mike

I am glad that Mike defends himself and their decision to go with Axe. Most of the people on the Opeth forum need to grow up anyway.

Tumn said:
Mike posted this on the Opeth forum -

Mikael Åkerfeldt

Hi guys!

I understand you're quite upset with this news and so am I! I've been playing with Lopez for almost 10 years!
But you have to understand that we wouldn't bring in just any kind of drummer for this band. I have been playing with Anders, Lopez, Hoglan and now Axe. Come on, my references are pretty OK, right? Have you played with these guys? Is that why you have such a valid opinion on how they are? I know, all of them are different, all of them have strong sides and weak sides.

I would never take anything away from Lopez brilliance as a drummer, but you also have to know that I have been involved in the making of every drum beat on every record. The drums is the result of a collaboration between Lopez and me. I had ideas, he had ideas, and that's the way we worked. On top of everything I made complete (with drumbeats) demos at my house for every record.

Axe and myself are going to make you eat your bashing comments, just wait and see...

Cheers guys
Mike

bingo

BlackestEyes said:
I am glad that Mike defends himself and their decision to go with Axe. Most of the people on the Opeth forum need to grow up anyway.

haha, most of the people on the INTERNET need to grow up, actually :) but that's another subject...

Off topic but, has any1 heard of a new album coming any time soon?

Wake up in a sweat, blood in my mouth;
Pain combined with torture had no time to shout.
A gathering of freaks, an evil bloody feast,
Trapped in the furnace sacrificial to your beast!

what pisses me off is that no one is giving Axe a chance (in the opeth forum). They act as if they know every side of him. They've only heard him play straight death metal because he's only played in death metal bands! Opeth is in a class of their own which opens new possibilities for drummers. How do we know if Axe isn't a creative drummer? We've never heard anything he's writen for the opeth style so how can we judge him without hearing what he has to bring? If lopez played in bloodbath, he'd play exactly what is required, and thats a straight death metal style. It all depends on the music your playing to.

This comment is less for the people in this forum (except affinity band who seems to think he knows all of axe's skills as a drummer) and more for the crybabies in the opeth forum. Mike is a smart guy and I'm 120% sure he chose the best option for his band. If Axe would've been a nuiscance for Opeth, he wouldn't of asked him to play.

Flal said:
what pisses me off is that no one is giving Axe a chance (in the opeth forum). They act as if they know every side of him. They've only heard him play straight death metal because he's only played in death metal bands! Opeth is in a class of their own which opens new possibilities for drummers. How do we know if Axe isn't a creative drummer? We've never heard anything he's writen for the opeth style so how can we judge him without hearing what he has to bring? If lopez played in bloodbath, he'd play exactly what is required, and thats a straight death metal style. It all depends on the music your playing to.

This comment is less for the people in this forum (except affinity band who seems to think he knows all of axe's skills as a drummer) and more for the crybabies in the opeth forum. Mike is a smart guy and I'm 120% sure he chose the best option for his band. If Axe would've been a nuiscance for Opeth, he wouldn't of asked him to play.
you win. :)

Flal said:

yep, i agree with you. i think most of the apprehension, though, comes simply from the fact that he IS the new guy (technically) and stepping into one of our favourite bands. everything he does is probably going to get overanalysed to death, at least for a while. hell, i even found myself doing it the other day as i watched a live video of him playing with opeth "damn, he missed the 'lopez beat' right there.... jeez he doesn't use the cybals the same way... oh man he doesn't move around as much as lopez..." etc etc etc. :)

but yeah, i really doubt mike would've invited him to join the band if he didn't think axe was the perfect guy for the job, end of story.

I base my opinion on the 3 (three) live concerts I saw Opeth perform with Axe on drums, so I know how he sounds when he plays with Opeth and he did OK playing Lopez parts, but he just didn't have the flow and technique Lopez has.

But I'll give him every chance he deserves, I hope he'll prove me wrong.

MadTinus said:
I base my opinion on the 3 (three) live concerts I saw Opeth perform with Axe on drums, so I know how he sounds when he plays with Opeth and he did OK playing Lopez parts, but he just didn't have the flow and technique Lopez has.

But I'll give him every chance he deserves, I hope he'll prove me wrong.

yeah, i noticed the similar thing when i was watching the live videos... but i'd say he's definitely worth the benefit of the doubt. its not like he is bad AT ALL, its just, he wasn't lopez :) plus keep in mind he was kinda dropped into the situation; i'm sure after a while we won't even notice a difference.

T-Rat said:
hiya

i'll miss the lopez style, but i though that axe was doing very well indeed with the opeth material and had really made it all his own. plus, he's fucking cute! that long blonde hair and shirtless at the set... i'm ok with that ;-)

i am a straight man but yes axe is very sexy:p

i know im gonna get bashed for saying this ^

Flal said:

I disagree. I think I would be the best choice. But it'd never happen. :kickass: