Damnation

Yeah! I think they should've made it exactly the same way, with the same members and all from the band Opeth, except called it a side project. That would be fucking cool because it wouldn't look like they tried to 'cheaply extend' the Opeth fanbase. Who gives a shit if the band wanted to try something different? My opinion is that Mike should've gotten different band members to make Damnation a side project, even if his other band is perfectly fine. Then he can have his side project band tour with Opeth because it would be fucking sweet. Then Opeth can play their material after the side project band finishes playing. It wouldn't be awkward one bit, and it makes total sense.

dorian gray said:
i will have to disagree with this though as mike said, on the dvd,
"this is what we REALLY sound like". he said this, for everyone who doesnt remember, when the damnation set was over and the deliverance set started. i dont see how one can argue against this statement. apparantly, mike himself, does not think damnation is what opeth sound like.

Heh, poor Mike...he tried to make a joke, and noone seems to have gotten it. He said that because he knew how many people in the audience would not have heard any other Opeth songs, and didn't want them to be scared. Doesn't he smile and chuckle, in his own funny little way that he has, after he says that anyway?

Oh, and if Damnation was just a side project, not really even Opeth, then how come they gave up half the concert to it? If they really did not think it was 'them', they would've put their foot down and..i dunno, threatened to cut off their hair until they got their way?

dorian gray said:
i couldnt care less if he used the same band members. it should have not been called an opeth album.

I can't believe you are chalking this all down to a name. They could have called themselves "The Fried Green Tomatos" for all we care but it would still be Opeth. The older fans would know it and the new fans getting into the music would find out where the band members came from and, like I said, would check out their previous works. What, do you think the band would have been hidden under another name or something?? lol.

Let's look at the flip side to your argument. If they DID do what you are suggesting, people would have another useless argument to go on such as..... "Oh, they changed their name for this experimental project as to avoid people from thinking they are being sellouts or something and they thought they could hide that from us." Blah, blah, blah.

I mean come on now. Seriously. That album was the best thing I've heard in many years and that's a fact. I applaud them for doing what they did especially knowing that they might receive some flack from it. *cough*

And who cares "why" they made this particular album. I could understand a problem with this if it was a shitty album (for example.. it sounding like the spoon fed trash that is on the radio in order to gain a fan base) but it's not. It's nothing short of genius, IMO, and a breath of fresh air from all crap I've been hearing lately.

Why can't we just leave it for what it is.... an awesome piece of work. Period. Just enjoy the music already. Moving on.....

Oh, where's my PM by the way :D

@ dorian

If you watched the documentary on the DVD, you would know that the original idea was a really heavy album (Deliverance), but Mike had all these acoustic parts and didn't know what to do with them. The idea then was to release a heavy and a mellow album. The Damnation songs are written by Mike, and they were handled as any other Opeth piece, so I don't know why it isn't 'Opeth' or why Mike should have got new members. Opeth is all about new things, they won't release the same album over and over again.

Plus what Mirrored Ghost said, basically.

Shadows Skulk: classic!

well, this thread isnt going anywhere. theres not even any good flames coming my way. then again, i kinda appreciate that.

next thread from dorian gray: "hey, mike, give us an update on the new album!"

dorian gray said:
godammit! no, its not. mike wrote all the music. it was mikes experiment. he's said as much in every interview ive ever read and i think it says so on opeth.com but i cant be sure.
i couldnt care less if he used the same band members. it should have not been called an opeth album. we all know it only led to people like my wife listening to opeth. cant stand orchid, but play some damnation, "ooohh, i like opeth!"

Mikael didn't write the drums. And come on, the drumming on that album contributes to it. I may think this only becuase I am a drummer, but many agree!

dorian gray said:
well, this thread isnt going anywhere.

Why, because there isn't any name calling/insults in this particular thread?? Or is it because people gave their honest opinion while not completely bashing anothers?? Or is it because most are not agreeing with you.

Next thread by Ghost... "what makes a thread a good thread" o_O

Darfus said:
Mikael didn't write the drums. And come on, the drumming on that album contributes to it. I may think this only becuase I am a drummer, but many agree!

Yes he does. He writes everything for the band, then the individuals that play it are able to change it around a little bit to suit their style.

Mirrored Ghost said:
Why, because there isn't any name calling/insults in this particular thread?? Or is it because people gave their honest opinion while not completely bashing anothers?? Or is it because most are not agreeing with you.

Next thread by Ghost... "what makes a thread a good thread" o_O
yes. its time to move on from here. theres not much of an argument. and theres no funny flames. its pretty boring.

dorian gray said:
so people wouldnt pick up ONE opeth album and think they know ALL about opeth and feel they can comment, seriously, on their older heavier stuff. thats all. im not trying to be a fanboy. i just think thats what has happened with damnation. people heard it, bought it, and consider themselves opeth fans. i guess they ARE, technically speaking, but damnation, is NOT opeth. the man said so himself. thats all im getting at i guess.
if mike writes some rap and sells it under the opeth name, is it really opeth? my argument is a resounding "no".

ps: i saw something the other day that reminded me of you. ill have to PM you....

Theres plenty of opeth fans who enjoy Orchid And Morningrise, but none of the other Opeth material. Are they not Opeth fans either?

The point is you ARE being a fanboy. Sure they may only like mellow Opeth, sure they may only own or have heard damnation...but why do you care so much? You act like just as much of a noob as people like that you just described...get off of it.

I also feel, that damnation was necessary for the Opeth catalog. It truly showed them to be a progressive band, rather than just a metal band trying to make the same album over and over again with complex compositions and long songs, claiming it to be "prog" ala Dream Theater, and whatnot. Whether you feel it deserves to be an Opeth album, is up to you...but if you put distortion on those parts, it would have sounded very similar to any other Opeth material...it was just a different and new aproach this time. After 6 albums of metal, an all clean album is a natural breathe of fresh air for the band and its fans...while picking up some recognition and larger fan base in the proces...i see nothing wrong with any of it. And i personally enjoyed the record, and am glad they did it, even though its probably my least favorite Opeth album.

NineFeetUnderground said:
The point is you ARE being a fanboy. Sure they may only like mellow Opeth, sure they may only own or have heard damnation...but why do you care so much? You act like just as much of a noob as people like that you just described...get off of it.

There ya go. Hypnos just kicked this thread up a notch for ya dorian. :D

heh heh! i know but its the same old shit from him, not very interesting. plus, i unofficially closed this thread down. so his words were too late.

^^^
Heh, Themoor666: 1, Dorian Gray: -1 (an early penalty incurred for foolishly telling Opeth what cds are 'really them', and which are not)

ps. no, this is not golf scoring, sorry.