The 'Deliverance' of 'Damnation'

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
This post is actually about Damnation and Deliverance. I own Deliverance (and many other Opeth albums, not that it matters) And I downloaded some of Damnation recently... I was surprised to see it was all acoustic-like stuff and the full album was only like 37-38 minutes long.. I read some stuff and found out that Damnation and Deliverance were both recorded at the same time.. Knowing this, I was wondering why Damnation doesn't have the 'rooar roooooar' in it?

Opeth was always my favorite band because they were good at playing their instruments, I liked their poetry-ish lyrics and.. Oh yeah, ROOOOOAR! It kinda made me sad that the 'roar' was gone. The first song by Opeth I ever heard was 'The Moor', and I have not listened to the crap I used to ever since. You know how it is.

Anyway, I was kinda hoping, before I heard it, that Damnation would be more 'Morningrise-ish' or more like their old stuff. If they made a new album with songs like what they used to make, it would be very successful, I think.

And on Amazon.com, it said Mikael Akerfeldt was in "Post-relationship depression" or something like that... What? That's just silly.

BrandonS said:
This post is actually about Damnation and Deliverance. I own Deliverance (and many other Opeth albums, not that it matters) And I downloaded some of Damnation recently... I was surprised to see it was all acoustic-like stuff and the full album was only like 37-38 minutes long.. I read some stuff and found out that Damnation and Deliverance were both recorded at the same time.. Knowing this, I was wondering why Damnation doesn't have the 'rooar roooooar' in it?

Opeth was always my favorite band because they were good at playing their instruments, I liked their poetry-ish lyrics and.. Oh yeah, ROOOOOAR! It kinda made me sad that the 'roar' was gone. The first song by Opeth I ever heard was 'The Moor', and I have not listened to the crap I used to ever since. You know how it is.

Anyway, I was kinda hoping, before I heard it, that Damnation would be more 'Morningrise-ish' or more like their old stuff. If they made a new album with songs like what they used to make, it would be very successful, I think.

And on Amazon.com, it said Mikael Akerfeldt was in "Post-relationship depression" or something like that... What? That's just silly.

Someone explain to this poor guy...I don't feel like it.....

Welcome :)

You'll be bombarded with posts now...

THe thing with Deliverence and Damnation is that Deliverence is supposed to be the extreme part of the Double, and Damnation the all out soft counterpart. They were recorded at the same time, that's all.

IanDork107 said:
I'm kinda wondering if this is a joke.

I don't think so.....that was his first post... That's why I asked for someone else to attempt to explain Opeth to him in the most succinct manner possible....but I guess everyone's too lazy (or at least I am) :lol:

ok

opeth are a band that use two distinct styles; the heavy death metal-ish "ROAR", and the soft, 70's style prog. after the success of blackwater park, they decided to go a new way, and split their two extremes into 2 different albums, deliverance being the heavy one, damnation the mellow one. deliverance has ended up being the heaviest opeth album yet, but still includes some mellow stuff (just mikael's random input).

so... thats about it.

and yes, morningrise was recorded in mikael's post-relationship depression stage... his girlfriend of four years just fucked another guy, and his grandfather died. i love that album.

this better not be a joke cos i spent ages typing this AND im tired.

Reactions: Beth
Katatonic289 said:
ok

opeth are a band that use two distinct styles; the heavy death metal-ish "ROAR", and the soft, 70's style prog. after the success of blackwater park, they decided to go a new way, and split their two extremes into 2 different albums, deliverance being the heavy one, damnation the mellow one. deliverance has ended up being the heaviest opeth album yet, but still includes some mellow stuff (just mikael's random input).

so... thats about it.

and yes, morningrise was recorded in mikael's post-relationship depression stage... his girlfriend of four years just fucked another guy, and his grandfather died. i love that album.

this better not be a joke cos i spent ages typing this AND im tired.

:lol:

Thank you all. What I DID know, was that Opeth used many styles. What I DID NOT know, was that Damnation was the soft side of Deliverance. I'm not a complete moron here. :(

BrandonS said:
Thank you all. What I DID know, was that Opeth used many styles. What I DID NOT know, was that Damnation was the soft side of Deliverance. I'm not a complete moron here. :(

Just so you know, Opeth isn't abandoning the "RAAOORR!". They better not anyways.

chaveta said:
i beg to differ on Deliverance being Opeth's heaviest album... i dunno i feel as though they're all equally heavy??

yehh

Nahh, Deliverance isn't the heaviest. I think that Morningrise / MAYH are some of the heaviest. Deliverance seems kinda lifeless to me, plus the roaring sounded kinda like it was painful to do, but in the other ones it sounded so cool, I could have mistaken it for his real voice.

Deliverance is a great album, so is everything else. I'm kinda pissed that Morningrise has been out of stock for like 2 months on Amazon.com. I was hoping I could buy a copy. :-(