Is Damnation more Progressive than Deliverance?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
How is Damnation being categorized as a Prog rock album, when Deliverance is more progressive? Damnation is very good- but we have heard it again and again from so many prog rock bands- so is it really progressive? Whereas Deliverance is rather fresh and new- as I know of few bands that play extreme music in such an interesting way as Opeth. Does anyone else think the music world needs to change categorizations.

no because in the song 'in my time of need' for example the same parts are returning. if you take delivernace for example (the song) the riffs are changing endlessly. so its not as progressive as deliverance. obviously not.

yepp....anyway progressiv music is doomed to be not progressiv after a while...so well...

some wise guy named metalmancpa (or smth) said once here "i love music - not genres"

well spoken!

speed, for a long time now the music world has needed to change their categorization skills. :Spin:

But frankly, "progressive" rock or metal is a hard term to understand. There's so many things to consider For example, I think any band that changes their sound AND STYLE drastically from album to album is a progressive band. So Opeth, ELP, Rush, Yes, are all prog bands. Some peopel characterize it as using jazz and classical influences with long, melodic passages, etc. So it's hard to say.

As some of the earlier posts have stated, this is a difficult question as Damnation does fit well within the parameters of progressive rock, whereas Deliverance's progressiveness is less clearly defined and is closer to the true sense of the word...that said, I do hear some complexities in Damnation and enough of Opeth's identity that it avoids coming across as an attempt at duplicating the sound of Mikael's prog influences.

Damnation is more "prog" sounding. Moving away from the word as a genre, Deliverance is more progressive as far as music goes, but Damnation is more progressive in terms of the band. I mean, there's nothing on Damnation that wasn't done 1000 times in the 70's, but for Opeth to release that, it's quite a thing.

Yeah, I guess my point is that Prog rock is a genre that is no longer progressive- rather it is quite static- almost regressive- sure Damnation is a great prog rock album- and because of damnation- I would consider Opeth to be a progressive band.

I think that prog bands out there could learn from the heaviness of Death metal Opeth- or any different type of music rather than just rehashing the same jazz and classical influences over and over again.

i hate the word "progressive" and people should avoid using it when describing opeth, even when the word applies, because the unitiated will assume you are speaking of a band that does songs about chess and history and robots or something. you wont get any new opeth fans this way.

i especially am annoyed by people describing damnations as prog, since this album is very simple in a lot of ways and also seems to have a lot of classic-rock/rock and psychidelic influences, but isnt proggy to me. somthing can be very good, while being neither "progressive" nor "technical" -- another overused gaywad word. i think deliverance gets pretty proggy, in a good way. opeth is like if you took the gay out of prog.

prog is a term used too often to describe bands that play well and have intelligent lyrics. like porcupine tree or kings x. save prog for really really edgy shit that is unlistenable to any but the most obscure jazz freaks.

BigFakeSmile said:
i hate the word "progressive" and people should avoid using it when describing opeth, even when the word applies, because the unitiated will assume you are speaking of a band that does songs about chess and history and robots or something. you wont get any new opeth fans this way.

i especially am annoyed by people describing damnations as prog, since this album is very simple in a lot of ways and also seems to have a lot of classic-rock/rock and psychidelic influences, but isnt proggy to me. somthing can be very good, while being neither "progressive" nor "technical" -- another overused gaywad word. i think deliverance gets pretty proggy, in a good way. opeth is like if you took the gay out of prog.

prog is a term used too often to describe bands that play well and have intelligent lyrics. like porcupine tree or kings x. save prog for really really edgy shit that is unlistenable to any but the most obscure jazz freaks.

Bah, then what else would you call it? Death metal? Hardly. The progressive moniker describes them much better than death metal I think. And since when do prog bands have lyrics about chess and robots (maybe ELP for the latter - but they're way over-the-top pretentious).

To me, Deliverance is much more of a prog album that Damnation is. Simply because Opeth is still relatively unique in their style while Damnation basically uses aesthetics from 70s prog rock. Damnation is basically a metal band doing neo-prog stuff.

And the really edgy/dissonant stuff to me fits in the avant-garde/RIO genre.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Wreath is the least progressive song that Opeth has recorded so far...

I just find it boring, every Opeth release includes a killer opening track (well - maybe except Prologue :) ), but Wreath is so underwhelming.

Another person that finds Wreath well what can I say annoying. That riff i just don't get it. It surely is one of their most uninspiring fretboard patterns they have commited to record. The thing is the rest of the album I think is great. Geez, that riff it is so ugly.

whoa.. I like Wreath. Deliverance is the one I think drags on and on (though 7:37 and 9:55 are both killer parts in that one)

Again i will say for those that do not get the track Deliverance and its majestic fadeout just listen to Coroner. For me that riff is one of the best musical moments they have achieved. Brilliant, contemporary metal, with a nod to Voivod. Guy's open your ears.