D1 & D2

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
So, regarding the "best Opeth album" results it's obvious that Deliverance and Damnation are the least popular.
Do you think Opeth are heading in a wrong direction lately?
I would say, Deliverance is a somewhat strange album that lacks the beauty of the earlier albums (apart from A Fair Judgment), and it has some overly repetitive sections, like the beginning of Masters Apprentice or the end of Deliverance. It's nevertheless an excellent record(just as Damnation), but in retrospective I have to say that I expected a better album. Same goes for Damnation, which I expected to be more prog and epic.

Wreath is the only song on Deliverance that seem repetitive to me. In the middle at parts is just seems to draaaag on. Its the only Opeth song I truly don't like. The rest of the album destroys though. The beginning of Master's Apprentice doesn't seem repetitive to me, but it rocks so much its ok for it to be longer.

Damnation isn't at all what I expected. I was hoping for an album full of acoustics such as the ones found on Orchid and Morningrise, but I knew this wouldn't be the case. Not what I expected but I think Opeth acheived what they were trying to acheive with it, and if this is true, then I am satified with it. I like it when artist execute what it is they are going for, it helps me appreciate it more. And I think I read in an interview that Mikael said it is thier best work yet, If I remember correctly. I think it was the interview at Metal-Rules.

Opeth has continued to change, each album has its own sound, so I think we can look forward to Opeth contunuing to progress and experiment, keeping us on the edge of our seats with every new release. Just as long as what they do will remain Opeth, this by no means suggests that they should limit themselves though.

I sorta agree with you, Deliverance (the album) is a little weak at the end, the last two tracks could of been better. However I think "Damnation" is one of the best acoustic based albums I've heard and everyone (barring my wanna be ghetto funk sister) has realy liked the album a lot. I definatly don't want Opeth to abandon the metal aspects of thier music, but truth be told right now they're far more consistant at acoustic music. Theyre still real good at metal, but its just on the 1st four albums there realy isn't more then three poor or boaring riffs total! BWP and Deliverance have quite a few more than that. Dont get me wrong they're still great albums, but just not on the same levels as the others, am I still on topic?

I think Damnation is one of Opeth's best albums. Only Still Life and Morningrise is better IMO. Deliverance... I loved it when it was new and fresh, but now I'm so tired of it. Deliverance is the only Opeth album I ever got tired from. But anyhow it's an excellent albums. I love all the tracks apart from For Absent Friends (their weakest instrumental) and By The Pain I See In Others (IMO their weakest track ever, together with Dirge For November).

I prefer their earlier albums, yes, but I can understand that Mikael wishes to try out different ideas, instead of working on the same ideas just to please the fans. It's Opeth's music, and it's still brilliant, even if it's slightly less brilliant than it has been, so we should appreciate it instead of talking negatively about it. I do agree with everything you said, generally.

I listen to Deliverance and A fair judgement quite a lot, but i'd agree the rest of the album is less amazing then much of what Opeth has done. Master's Apprentice isn't bad either even though it gets a lot of crap. I wouldn't really call it their worst album yet and I have to wonder, how can you? How do you even compare Deliverance to Orchid? I would put it on par with any other album just because A Fair Judgement is on there and that, in my opinion, is at least tied for one of the best songs Opeth has ever recorded. I suppose one of the problems with making such incredible music is that your fans become extremely critical of everything...but given that they managed to continue progressing in their music and STILL pull off something as amazing as AFJ I think is quite impressive

As for Damnation, they should probably stick to one or two soft songs an album. Face of Melinda, TBYF, and Credence are all favorite's of mine...where only about 3 songs from Damnation are close to that good. Granted they are very different even from the earlier accoustic stuff.

But really, two songs that equal almost 30 min of music that are both VERy good...what can we really complain about? Most bands now put out albums that are only 30 minutes total! Thats fully half of an album that is masterful and few bands accomplish that very often, let alone several albums in a row, while recording two albums in 6 weeks, of opposite styles.

they're both extremely high quality albums

deliverance is a fucking great record, it may lack the "beauty" of the other albums, but i believe that is simply because damnation was written at the same time, so of course many of the strong and more beautiful melodies that Mr. Akerfeldt was coming up with were put on Damnation.

So, the songs on Deliverance are more like epic headbangers with small breaks. And it's fucking brilliant too, as is Damnation.

I look at it as opeth having released 2 trilogy's. Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH and SL, BWP, Deliv. They develop a sound, perfect it and then strip it down to brutality. To be perfectly honest I think MAYH and Deliv are probably my favourites. Deliverance is a magnificent album as is MAYH and I notice that a lot of fans only started adoring MAYH after a ridiculously long relisten rate. Deliv is the same way, at first I was very disappointed but now I realize I love it as much as MAYH. Take your time don't be so quick to pass judgement on what is truly a spectacular album.

I consider Damnation an aside and I don't really compare it to the rest. It is a gem in itself but comparing it to the back catalogue is pointless.

I adore the last four albums almost more than anything in my collection but just "Really Like" Morningrise, MAYH and Orchid.

I have said many times that I am a big fan of their current output, and believe they are producing their best work currently
BWP is still the Jewel in the crown for me as a whole album!

Well whatever people :confused: , I listen to Deliverance every single day and every time it gets better. This album is just incredible it blow away BWP, but maybe equal to Still Life, just leave the guys alone they are doing just fine :mad:

I think D1 and D2 are bloody excellent, they totally blew me away and its hard for bands to do that. I think Opeth are getting better and better and learning more from each release. I hope their next CD is soon:D cant wait!

Guardian of Darkness said:
I prefer their earlier albums, yes, but I can understand that Mikael wishes to try out different ideas, instead of working on the same ideas just to please the fans. It's Opeth's music, and it's still brilliant, even if it's slightly less brilliant than it has been, so we should appreciate it instead of talking negatively about it. I do agree with everything you said, generally.

I reiterate a past point:

The new albums only seem bad because we have too high an expectation of Opeth. If Damnation had been released by another band, it would have been hailed as amazing, but we have become such big Opeth fans that we expect perfection :)

I think that damnation is fucking amazing! (just listen to it on an LP!)

like with any bands new album-it takes time for people to get used to it. you'll see with their next album, everyone will be saying how damnation is brilliant and the new one could have been better-always happenes