Quick Damnation Review

Jaz666

Metalnutter!
Feb 26, 2003
Bradford, UK
www.metalnutters.com
Well I've quickly posted by initial thoughts over at http://www.metalnutters.com

I've only listened to it twice, so hopefully I'll be able to expand the review after a few more listens.

I've also included 30 second samples, which should be useful for those of you who can't/don't want to download the leaked MP3s, or those of you with low-bandwidth.

Here's a short sample.

Well here is is, what seems the most eagerly awaited Opeth Album ever, if the fuss generated about it in the past few months on the Opeth Fan Forums is anything to go by!
Damnation is the "Sequel" to last year's Deliverance. Deliverance was the all-out heavy album, and they promised that Damnation would be the laid-back, accoustic album. And they've delivered on that promise. Once again Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree is onboard as producer, and as expected, his influence really shines through on this album.
The band's usual Progressive direction to songs has taken a back-seat on this album, with track lengths down to around 5 to 7 minutes. Windowpane opens the album up nicely, setting the mood for the rest of the album. Simple accoustic guitars, interspersed with lightly overdriven electric solos and keyboards.

Thanks for the clips. So far it sounds fantastic. "Death whispered Lullaby" rocked my socks off. I'd download the whole thing, but don't know how. Not web savvy enough! Guess I'm just an old man.

Thanx man! I enjoyed listening to the samples and since I have a slow connection I was glad to hear what their new opus will sound like.
Btw, was that the original cover of Damnation? It reminded me of being something from Deliverance?