Damnation...the Apology...sick Of Hearing It

Themoor666 said:
yea they should not apologize for it... when I saw them someone was like FUCK OPETH and Mike goes "are you talking shit about us, because we can talk shit right back to you in Swedish and you won't understand, but we won't. This next track is called Windowpane" and then before In My Time Of Need someone booed when he grabbed the acoustic and he said "No. Fuck you. This is part of our show and if you don't like it then you are here for all the wrong reasons" . I think they should be like that all of the time. it was cool and I would be scared of mike cuz he's just scary like that haha
heh! i forgot about that part! i thought that was kinda embarassing for the rest of us who were there to see and hear opeth. that person mustve been a DD fan or something. in fact, i thought the whole audience was filled with alot of immature people. right behind me a group of people were yelling out different band names as some kind of attempt to be funny. i just thought it was insulting to the band. oh well. no offense to anyone here, but my experience with the "metal" crowd was a lot different than my experiences with the prog rock crowd. the former were rude, annoying, apathetic and seemed to be there just to show off their favorite "metal" t shirt while the latter were polite and focused on the music.
i guess i could make that into a new thread: "why does it seem the majority of "metal" fans never grew out of the "hood" stage from junior high while prog rock fans are still nerds?"

Dorian Gray--I could not agree with you more about the two different types of fans. I've not had a concert experience the way you have, but I have found it interesting what a sharp difference there is in the way fans conduct themselves based on how they got into Opeth. I have known, for instance, multiple people who got into them through Pink Floyd, and I see a very different attitude (and even total life philosophy) in them than the metal fans.

You're judging metal fans by Devildrivel fans?! :guh:

There are a lot of idiots no matter what genre of music, I'm sure prog has it's fair share of morons.

Yeah, I've seen morons who are prog fans as well, but it just seems to me there's a little less of an in-your-face attitude in the prog culture. So you don't see quite as much "direct" confrontation...though it's not like it never happens, in some venues.

Something to do with the purpose of the music perhaps? Come-on, it's pretty obvious that metal is about agression, strength, and fucking beer. Now thats going to make people a bit more 'in your face' than your average prog fan, but there's no use whinging about it.

If you read my previous two posts you'll notice that I never said one group was better or worse than the other--I was trying just to point out the differences in the way they act. Both groups have got some faults. It's not like the prog fans are without their issues...what I've seen from them on forums more than anything, when they get pissed off, is sneaky backstabbing, although I HAVE seen some knock-down-drag-out fights.

I don't like the album - not because I don't like mellow music - fuck look at my avatar! - I just don't think it's a great record. It's boring.
I sold my Lamentations DVD on eBay too as the slow songs bored me to fucking tears when they could have been playing some good heavy stuff.

Caelum Adustum said:
You're judging metal fans by Devildrivel fans?! :guh:

There are a lot of idiots no matter what genre of music, I'm sure prog has it's fair share of morons.
hah! awesome! i agree with you but thats not what i was implying. i was saying there appears to be a difference in the attitude between groups at a metal concert versus a prog rock concert. the prog concerts ive been to have been pleasant because the crowd was into the music and were more intent on singing along than on starting a mosh pit. the opeth concert i went to was only half-enjoyable because there were alot of people there who seemed intent on impressing others with their screams and growls and aggresssive behavior. like themoor666 was saying, people were actually giving mike shit because he was playing an acoustic guitar. thats just embarrasing. oh well, they DID pay for a ticket and i guess they can say whatever they want.

"alot of people there who seemed intent on impressing others with their screams and growls and aggresssive behavior."

Like that cunt who fucked up the beginning of 'Hope Leaves' on Lamentations.

When I first booked my tickets i was looking forward to a Damnation show and was kinda gutted for a while, untill i saw the new setlist, hearing the moor was worth missing all but one damnation songs. Also a nice surprise was To Bid you farewell which made me almost forget damnation completely.

The setlist for the aussie tour was about as good as it gets don't complain about it.