rate opeth..

Hmmm, there's no way I could order the albums, they're all just so fucking awesome, but I could probably list my current fave from each album (emphasis on the CURRENT):

Orchid - Under the Weeping Moon

Morningrise - To Bid You Farewell

My Arms, Your Hearse - When

Still Life - Godhead's Lament

Blackwater Park - Blackwater Park

Deliverance - Deliverance

Damnation - Hope leaves

hehe, I could post again in 5 minutes and it would e totally different. Ah well, good enough.

1. Morningrise - amazing songs, playing, acoustic guitars are damn near perfect, Mike's "rough" vox are great as are his clean vocals. my only gripe is the production it's a little thin. would be even better with better sound.

2. Still Life - feature Mike's best vox imo, songs are very strong, concept makes album interesting, some of their best songs on this album.

3. BWP - heavy fucking heavy, love the guitar sound and just overall production of the album it sounds great, take away "Dirge for November" (well the last repetitive part anyway) and would be better imo.

4. Damnation - always wanted to hear an album like this and it doesn't disappoint, vocals most impressive to me as well as drum sound. "Hope Leaves" their best song ever possibly.

5. MAYH - why 5?, 3 amazing songs (When, Demon, Credence) the rest not so amazing, muddy production, concept is killer though keeps it interesting.

6. Deliverance - having a hard time really liking this one, some strong songs but they don't grab me like the others for some reason, songs feel to sterile, heavy but lacking something it seems, drumming is top notch though and some nice solos littered throughout.

7. Orchid - never really liked probably never will. sorry.

MAYH- Dark... fucking incredible atmosphere. And of course, the songs When and Demon of the Fall rip shit up!

Morningrise- I like this album more musically than I do MAYH. It is a masterpiece in every way. Better than the aforementioned too. Don't know why it isn't number one. Don't ask me. Just isn't...

Still Life and BWP are inter-changeable. Both fantastic albums. To be honest, I think that the former has that extra edge, because it has that extra little bit of heart-felt sadness chucked in for good measure (only really found on Dirge for November on BWP, imo). Mind you, BWP has a more floaty, dreamy atmosphere... which is cool too. Tough to say.

Deliverance- Great album, but not the Opeth I've grown to love. Just too musically subtle, only coming across as repetetive and less challenging musically as a result. It was a good idea separating the two sounds, but I hope that they don't do something similar in the near future.

Damnation- Well, had to be my least favourite really. Great for what it is, just too calm.

i just got Damnation so it has now changed

1. BWP
2. Still Life
3. D1
4. Maya
5. Damnation (briliant, but not comparible to the above 4)
6. Morningrise

1. Blackwater Park
2. Deliverance & Damnation
3. MAYH

i don't cara too much about the rest as they could have been done by any other death metal band if they new a thing about music.

so you think Still Life is just generic death metal? Its every bit as original as the ones you mentioned

I don't think it's as much original. Except for say 'Face of Melinda' Still Life is IMO the most "generic death metal" out of all Opeth albums and while BWP is my fav Still Life is my least fav.
(though I wouild think twice before calling Orchid or Morningrise generic death metal which of course they aint, but sitll I think any good musician involved in death metal could write anything of comparable quality, the problem is there aint many)