rate opeth..

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
from favourite album to least favourite and what are your favourite from them and why...i know its definatly not a original question, but i'd like to know the general acceptance for their albums. So if you dont mind answering.

As for myself, i dont have Orchid or Damnation, but heres mine without them

1. BwpP (my 1st and still is my favourite. The overal atmosphere is this album is beautiful, and Mikes songwriting quality's are smoother than ever. Bleaks my fav' opeth song..but Lepar and BwP aren't far behind)

2. Still Life (the album just has so many good quality's, and is very polished. Fav's are the moor, but godheads lamet is so energetic (i cant imagine it live!) and i love the mood and leads for Serenity Painted Death)

3. Deliverance (i know what your thinking, but i love it. i dont know why everyone's so anti against it. Just because it's generally heavier doesnt mean opeth changed their style or has no dynamics, it's just heavier. the title track is one of their best and so is A fair judgment and Masters Apprentice)

4. MAYA (i know this is a fan-favourite, but i just pefer others a bit over it. The dark mood and atmosphere is creepy, and how the album flows is inspiring. Demon is my fav' from it, but when is amazing too)

5. Morningrise (I dont know, i dont think ive quite 'got it' yet. It still has amazing moment, but it doesnt flow together well. And Mikes vocals are sooo much better on later albums. but Advent and BRI stilll is better than 99% out there)

So lemme know what you guys think?:)

1. Morningrise
2. Orchid
3. MAYH

4. Deliverance
5. Still Life

6. Blackwater Park
(I don't have Damnation)

On the first 2 albums, I love the interweaving of the 2 guitars, and the structure of the songs- it's like you're being taken on a journey and you don't know where it's gonna go. And so many of the melodies are friggin beautiful. The songs on MAYH are just really strong, some great solos, and it's a nice development on their previous style. Deliverance and Still Life are ok, they have good songs, they just don't move me like the first 3 albums. To be frank, I thought BWP sucked.

1. My Arms Your Hearse - beautiful melodies, great instrument-sound, fantastic clean vocals, chilling atmosphere, flowing concept, amazing climax, an overall consistancy
2. Morningrise - absolutely filled to the brim with emotion, doesn't have brilliant song structure, has some nice acoustic guitaring and clean-vocals
3. Blackwater Park - tremendous atmosphere, no weak songs, some nice acoustic work, powerful riffs

4. Orchid - some great melodies, superb clean vocals, has problems with song structures, two great instrumentals
5. Still Life - flowing concept, some utterly slayful moments, a few really boring bits (notably parts of Moonlapse Vertigo)

6. Deliverance - Doesn't really hold me, has some great moments but never really clicked properly, doesn't suit my tastes
7. Damnation - While being a great prog rock album, it can't really be compared to the others.

1. Blackwater Park - The first album I heard and I think the overall atmosphere is amazing plus every song is brilliant.

2. Deliverance - A Fair Judgement, Deliverance and Masters Apprentices are incredible. I dunno why everyone seems to dislike it...

3. Still Life - I think it's a slightly weaker version of Blackwater Park, still great though. At times (especially in the 2nd half of the album) it seems a little unfocused.

4. My Ass, Your Face - Amazing but I only just got it so in time it'll probably move up higher.

5. Damnation - A great album but kinda short and only shows one side of the band. I love it but I have to be in the right mood to hear it.

6. Morningrise - Good songs, I just don't like the way the riffs don't flow into eachother and the songs don't seem as powerful.

7. Orchid - Again, good songs but, IMO, not quite as good as Morningrise.

trying to put them in order I just kept thinking of things that put one over the other...soo I won't do it. I'd go with morningrise as a favorite though as TBYF is my all time favorite song, with nectar and advent not far behind. The emotion on the album is incredible and I tend to hold that over any other quality. Still Life after that, Serenity Painted Death has some of the most amazingly heavy riffs i've ever experienced, White Cluster always blows me away, and well...Face of Melinda dammit! I don't find ratings like this to do justice though. I love the other albums as well, BWP really doesn't have a weak point, MAYH is so dark and wonderful, and then Deliverance has A Fair Judgement...which again is just filled with emotion. I'll bow out of orchid...havn't heard enough of it. And damnation just needs to be by itself has it is excellent in it's own element but is not comparable in any way to other Opeth releases by that same virtue.

This is probably one of the most asked, yet hardest questions to be asked in this forum! My preferences change, now and then, but here's my current mindset:

1. Orchid - I'm a fan of harmonized guitars, and to have basically a whole album filled with it...:Spin:

2. MAYH - dark, dark album. Very powerful and emotional songs. My only gripe is the production...the overall sound seems drowned out and messy.

3. Blackwater park - great demonstration of Opeth's music - all around powerful riffs, emotional solos and nice acoustic work thrown in together with top-notch production. In my opinion, Mikael should have worked a little bit more on the vocals (and sung the clean vocals! Steven Wilson almost becomes part of the band by taking over the clean vocals.)

4. Morningrise - While it does have those nice harmonized guitars, the songs (while still being awesome, as usual) don't appeal to me as much as Orchid...not sure why yet, maybe it just hasn't grown on me yet, and also the fact that Orchid was the 2nd Opeth album I bought, after BWP.

5. Still Life - A good mix of old and new Opeth - more emphasis on the chords, but still retaining the harmonized guitars. Also shows their soft side a lot more, with lots and acoustic guitar.

6. Deliverance - I'm positive many will agree and some will disagree, this is Opeth's weakest effort. Personally, it does not move me (that is, emotionally) as much as any of their other albums, with the exception of...

7. Damnation - I dont have too much against it, but it definitely wasn't anything like I expected when I first heard it, which caused me to become pretty disappointed. What I expected was more songs like Benighted, Harvest and maybe even Silouhette. Still, it shows that Opeth are definitely skilled and broad musicians. Daring, too - which is a good thing!

Maybe I should copy and paste this to the next person who asks this question. :Smug:

1 - Deliverance
Still my favourite, it's the album that got me into Opeth. Heavy as fuck with incredible playing and awesome riffing.
2 - Morningrise
Every time I listen to this I like it more, excellent record.
3 - Blackwater Park
Some astonishing riffs, especially throughout the title track, which is my favourite Opeth song.
4 - My Arms, Your Hearse
Demon Of The Fall!!!!
5 - Still Life
Dunno why, but it lacks something the others have although it's still a top notch album.

I don't have Orchid so I don't know how great it is!

:)

Oops, forgot Damnation! It's my least favourite anyway - listened to it a million times and it still doesn't REALLY grab me - it lacks hooks. A chorus here and there might have been nice.... :p

My Arms , Your Hearse
Morningrise
Blackwater Park
Orchid
Still Life
Damnation
Deliverance

Orchid and Bwp might change but that's it

For me Orchid morningrise Still life and blackwater park are the Better cds... THey are always the numbers 1-4 on the list the rest are still very good but they doesn't touch the first four

1. STILL LIFE- the best songwriting and quality itself, this album becomes the quintessence of Opeth's style and probably they'll never make up something brilliant and marvellous like that ;-( [fave tracks- Godhead's Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo, Face of Melinda]

2. MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE- in my opnion, the most powerful and intensive longplay they've ever created, but of course still with some mellow influences (vide fantastic 'Credence') [fave tracks- Demon of the Fall, Karma, When]

3. DAMNATION- I can't find the proper words to describe the greatness of this LP, one of the best albums I've ever heard in the progressive rock field ! It's pure GENIUS but of course I've got to be objective and can't award "Damnation" the first place, cause ever since Opeth has been regarded as metal band and I hope it will be maintained :) [fave tracks- Death Whispered a Lullaby, Closure, Windowpane]

4. BLACKWATER PARK- this one with the best production I think. But after excellent Still Life I expected something more outstanding...[fave tracks- Bleak, The Drapery Falls, The Funeral Portrait]

5. DELIVERANCE- it's quite tough album, difficult to accept at once (heh, as all their LP's :p ). Some kind of a return to the rawer and colder guitar parts, for the moment it resembles 'Still Life'. And of course it contains the most psychodelic track, namely By the Pain I See in Others [fave tracks- A Fair Judgement and Deliverance- ooh, these drums....]

6. MORNINGRISE- apart from Damnation- the most calm album in their career. [fave tracks- Advent, To Bid You Farewell]

7. ORCHID- definitely the least interesting position in their catalogue. But still well-produced, as usual. [fave tracks- Apostle in Triumph, Silhouette]

Best regards to all of You !
www.republika.pl/still_life

This is tough to do, i love them all.

i would have to say...

Morningrise
Still Life
Blackwater Park
MAYH
Orchid
Deliverance

Damnation - is in a class of it's own

This list is subject to change.

I am not even going to include Damnation as it is different from all of their releases, but with that being said it is an amazing album in my eyes for that matter.

All tied in no specific order:
Orchid
My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park

I love Deliverance, but most of the time I have to be in some kind of certain mood to listen to the whole album.

Morningrise.....I used to like this album, but the last time I listened to it, I did not like it all that much. Maybe it was only certain parts in The Night And The Silent Water that I did not enjoy. All of the other songs I like a lot. I do not know.

im surpirsed to find that BwP is rated pretty low on alot of peoples list, i wonder why...its definatly my favourite