so is it just me or what

kalikatzaros

ouargh
Dec 21, 2007
Hellas
I first started listening to Opeth when I friend let me borrow Blackwater park. I couldn't listen to it for months because it was just too harsh for my ears or something but after two months or so the album grew on me and it has been my favourite album so far. So over the years I go and buy all the opeth albums and all of them are the shit. Then I get watershed when it first comes out. That shit bores me and it just cant seem to grow on me at all. I know people have been talking about opeth and their knew direction and that some people like it and some people dont but....what the fuck, this album is just a disappointment. I dont know? has it grown on anybody else or is it just a thing where you either like it or you dont period?

I appreciated it more with more and more listens. with most people here it generally seems to be a "grower" album. you can't really take it all in on first listen - on repeat listens I noticed more and more subtleties going on and it kind of "clicked" after a while. I'm still trying to appreciated it in its fullness.

I suppose some people just can't/don't like it in general. give it a few more listens if you haven't already.

Ghost Reveries and Watershed took the most time to grow on me (not counting Orchid since I'm still not quite in love with it), but each was definitely worth it as they both shot up in the rankings of my favorite Opeth albums once I started to see the goodness. Ghost Reveries was my least favorite but I'd heard so many good things so after forced listens, it's actually caught in that 3-way tie with Still Life and Blackwater Park for my favorite Opeth album.

In short...give it a chance. If you've given it a chance, give it another chance.

Watershed was pretty much a dissapointment for me as well. Heir Apparent is crushing, but the rest of the songs don't really do much for me. I have pretty much given up hope that it will ever grow on me to the extend where I will see it as a bloody masterpiece, because I listened to it alot during the summer, but nothing really happened.

It's still a good record though. I just expected an Opeth album to be more than that.

Watershed was pretty much a dissapointment for me as well. Heir Apparent is crushing, but the rest of the songs don't really do much for me. I have pretty much given up hope that it will ever grow on me to the extend where I will see it as a bloody masterpiece, because I listened to it alot during the summer, but nothing really happened.

It's still a good record though. I just expected an Opeth album to be more than that.

If you just liked Heir Apparent maybe you are into heavy stuff only which is not exactly Opeth.
My advice would be listening to straight death metal for you (not that Opeth's is gay death metal :))

If you just liked Heir Apparent maybe you are into heavy stuff only which is not exactly Opeth.
My advice would be listening to straight death metal for you (not that Opeth's is gay death metal :))

i'm just not seeing how you came up with this. just because he likes heir apparent, and it's heavy, it means that he must have an under appreciation for less heavy stuff? no, i don't think so. heir apparent is the finest song on the album, and the only one on the album that doesn't tire me after a few listens. regardless of the other songs being less heavy, they just sound like a collection of random riffs to me.

I totally agree with Hybrid Child.
Now looking back on Watershed, I would go as far as to say that you CAN take it all in on the first two or three listens (at least I felt that way) and it's only parts of the album that really interest me anymore. (I love Heir Apparent, Lotus Eater and the first half of Hessian Peel)
Btw. I have that with most albums of bands that i know the old records from but Opeth always tend to make cool stuff that hooks you after 10 or more listens.
Pretty good record... but not exceptional like the rest.

Keep in mind that we Opeth fans are already "spoiled" with a bunch of extremely great records.

i'm just not seeing how you came up with this. just because he likes heir apparent, and it's heavy, it means that he must have an under appreciation for less heavy stuff? no, i don't think so. heir apparent is the finest song on the album, and the only one on the album that doesn't tire me after a few listens. regardless of the other songs being less heavy, they just sound like a collection of random riffs to me.

And I am not seeing how you couldn't understand what I meant.

If you think Heir Apparent is the finest song on the album it is most probably because you are into heavy stuff because if you look around you will see that many people's favourite song is not Heir Apparent. So there is not a consensus about Heir Apparent being the finest song, it is just about taste and since it is a heavy song probably you love heavy stuff. No flaw in the idea though there may be exceptions, and I didn't mean any certainity with my post did I?

I first started listening to Opeth when I friend let me borrow Blackwater park. [...] I know people have been talking about opeth and their knew direction and that some people like it and some people dont but....what the fuck, this album is just a disappointment. I dont know? has it grown on anybody else or is it just a thing where you either like it or you dont period?

Ummm, I agree with you in the beginning of your thread. But actually, to me, Watershed has done the same thing as every album. On first listening, seems like Opeth turned like shit. I kept listening to it, because I didn't want to judge on first impressions. And finally, I think Watershed is such a great album. Not any better than other albums. Good, and different, which is fantastic.

And I am not seeing how you couldn't understand what I meant.

Once again... philno is a shit. His fuc**ng opinions are not facts. Heir Apparent is great, and I personnally think every songs are. I would say The Lotus Eater is the finest. But not wanting to go in another "taste" discussion, I will stop here.

To answer HemeHaci, I think Watershed has some heavy aspect, but maybe less than in the past. In fact, if you prefer Heir Apparent to any other songs, by far, maybe you really are into heavier stuff, because it is the only very heavy song. I suggest Hybrid_Child to give Watershed another chance (again...) but I say that only because I have experimented the same feeling on the beginning. Strange but interesting album :).

I guess I am more into the heavy stuff. But the lack of agression on Watershed is deffinetely not the reason why I don't like it that much. Probably it's more the new feel, mood whatever. Michael said before it came out, that it would be really evil and twisted. And to my ears that's really not the case. I really don't know why I don't like it. The new direction is probably just not my thing.

Hell Porcelain Heart is just so damn boring.

It's is "twisted". Not that evil (well, evil in strange way). That's a vague notion. It's evil in different ways. It's different. It's Opeth. I am sorry that you don't like it this much because you are missing something ;). Porcelain Heart is the equivalent of The Grand Conjuration, so yeah, it's kinda boring, but I like it anyway.

Once again... philno is a shit. His fuc**ng opinions are not facts. Heir Apparent is great, and I personnally think every songs are. I would say The Lotus Eater is the finest. But not wanting to go in another "taste" discussion, I will stop here.

Thanks for clarification ;)

And The Lotus Eater is my best pick too, complexity at its peak. Progressive and agressive and very smooth at the same time, kinda hard to explain.

And the Grand Conjuration was great for me compared to Porcelain Heart which is good on its own but suffers greatly from repetation. Although Grand Conjuration had excess of that, its catchy intro made the song great for me.

Yeah I really love The Grand Conjuration. But let's analyse it. The Grand Conjuration and Porcelain Heart are the only two songs with a video clip. The verses are very similar (fast-cutting, and very smooth), though Porcelain is less heavy. They have one very similar riff (the verse riff on Grand Conjuration). And personnally, I think (in their album context) these two songs are pretty much equivalent. That's how it appears to me.

The Grand Conjuration and Porcelain Heart are the only two songs with a video clip. The verses are very similar (fast-cutting, and very smooth), though Porcelain is less heavy. They have one very similar riff (the verse riff on Grand Conjuration).

+1

And personnally, I think (in their album context) these two songs are pretty much equivalent. That's how it appears to me.

Well I can agree to this only if 5 my pals caught me in a dark alley and forced me to make a guess about which songs look alike on Watershed and Ghost Reveries. I just can not think them equivalent. So different ambients.

It's is "twisted". Not that evil (well, evil in strange way). That's a vague notion. It's evil in different ways. It's different. It's Opeth. I am sorry that you don't like it this much because you are missing something ;). Porcelain Heart is the equivalent of The Grand Conjuration, so yeah, it's kinda boring, but I like it anyway.

I guess it's just a matter of ears. To me a song like By The Pain I See In Others is ten times more evil, twisted and dark than anything on Watershed.

Another thing that may be a reson for me not liking Watershed is that it's not melancoly and sad. At least not compared to what Opeth has done before. Like I said the mood on Watershed doesn't do much for me.