Why is Opeth so fucking... amazing?

Wait, you got into Opeth through Watershed (which was released barely 4 weeks ago) and already have their entire catalogue?

I heard watershed like a week before it came out. I dont have Opeths entire catalog. I have Blackwater Park and all the albums after it. All of the albums pretty much clicked for me already but I dont have every song memorable yet like you probably do but Ill get there haha

As much as people don't realize, I honestly do believe alongside with the music, that sub-consciously the name OPETH and the beautiful logo it holds is truly epic and probably has a big impact on the bands individuality.

Ümlaut;7387085 said:
I have all kinds of sweet rifts in my head, but I lack the guitar finesse to make it come to life.

+ Another, although I don't play
guitar at all, never could spare
the time, too busy serviving trying
to earn a crust and serving drinks
behind bars in my early years. :)

If only I could tell about the profound
effect Mikes' music has had on my life!
:worship: :saint: ;)

I do hope other Opethians find something
concerning but beyond Opeth's music.

:lol:

Great Thread btw. :)

Combination of ridiculously good drumming, ridiculously good riffs and Mike's growls.

You want the answer? Here it is: Mikael Akerfeldt. Now, I'm not leaving the other AMAZING musicians out, but Mike is the heart of this band, and he is responsible for the awesome music that this band produces. The dude is a friggin' genius, and if anyone knows me here knows that I see Mike as a musical genius, because the dude is!

Which are also ridiculous.

Ridiculously amazing.

Seriously. (referring to mikael's growling, which is yet unmatched IMO.)

It's the weed.

Mikael says he don't toke, but he so smokes the marijuana.

Why not? gave millions of other amazing bands out there get the inspiration from the green (guaranteed), and other things (specifically not telling) have made me realize that Opeth is truly unequaled.

That's what I believe, however.

To understand Opeth you have to listen to their albums from beggining to end. Just really listen. Opeth's music at first is very powerful, and conveys emotion in absolutely overwhelming ways, whether it be through their own form of brutality, or through those moments of beauty in which everything quiets down. And then you listen again and you discover new things that captivavte you further. Opeth has more depth in their albums than almost any band I have ever heard. That is Opeth, Raw Emotion, beauty, unique concepts, and astounding depth. All of these things draw me back to Opeth over and over again. Ever wonder why you get bored of a 5 minute Metallica song after listening to it 10 times, while you can come back to Opeth again and again for years? It's because their music has overwheling depth. It's like there are layers to it, and if you really listen you can hear all those things.

A great composer who's open minded, skilled musicians and the omnipresent muse for band's with a great composer and skilled musicians. I also belive that Travis Smith is to be mentioned as the creator of the Opethian atmosphere with his amazing artworks.

"That's different from anything i've heard before. Really weird. So that's your progressive death metal?"-my friend said something like this when i played some opeth songs to him as he visited me once. He listened only to damnation before as it was most popular on last.fm and was quite surprised that band i talk about all the time is not a brutal satan death metal and plays so beautiful mellow songs.I must admit he liked ac/dc in the past and recently started to listen many of (also death) metal.I tried to get him into opeth,but everybody has right to have his opinion,of couse:) He told me some day he finds it difficult to listen a band which changes style not only with every new record(as i said) but few times through any of their songs either.The problem is (I think) he find music as something to relax with,but is unable to pay so much attention while listening that opeth really needs.So,that's the reason why is opeth different-you must give all your concern to this music,listen records many times,as someone said in this thread,to fully appreciate it.IMO it's the deepest genre of metal that's been found.:worship: Of course some of "us" concentrates only on beatuful riffs and transitions and vocals etc. while others worship also the "opeth" atmosphere of music,texts,...of it all:),but it doesn't matter(Mike needs everything of this in his music and i love it).I hope some day i will succeed in helping someone to understand opeth(apart from my bro-he doesn't need help in this case:)).
Too much written,but i couldn't resist:saint: