So WHY does Opeth refuse to play new material on tour?!

vperri

New Metal Member
Nov 4, 2008
SO at the time Ghost Reveries was the new Opeth cd and my fave cd they come to Philly and play two songs and now the new Watershed cd comes out and is just as incredible and they come here and again only play two songs off it!!!!!!!!!! On top of it, they only played two off of Ghost Reveries!!!! As good as the show was and as many times as I have caught Opeth live I think I may skip the next few shows due to this HUGE misstep, what is wrong with them? My wife and I love this band more than any other in the past so why they skip the new cd on each tour is just incredible!

SO at the time Ghost Reveries was the new Opeth cd and my fave cd they come to Philly and play two songs and now the new Watershed cd comes out and is just as incredible and they come here and again only play two songs off it!!!!!!!!!! On top of it, they only played two off of Ghost Reveries!!!! As good as the show was and as many times as I have caught Opeth live I think I may skip the next few shows due to this HUGE misstep, what is wrong with them? My wife and I love this band more than any other in the past so why they skip the new cd on each tour is just incredible!

You dumb or what????:err: Let's do some math: Opeth set: 1:45... normal lenght of a opeth song : around 10 minutes....so 1:45 is 105 minutes so it means around 10 songs per show but mike is talking a lot between songs so it can be less. Opeth have 9 albums now = over 60 songs. So if you have to make a setlist you put new song but you also have to play a song from each album as much as possible. So Opeth CANT play all of watershed or all of GR for the time they got to play.

End of this thread.

They already played the only two songs worth playing from WS (Heir Apparent and LE).

...yeah I said it. :Smokedev:

(Oh and they said they'll play Burden next time)

It's probably a good idea on Opeth's part not to overplay their newer music. Think about it: a ridiculous proportion of Opeth's fans are new, hopping on after GR and WS. What better way to introduce them to their older material than at a live gig? Plus the older stuff is amazing. If they played MR in its entirety I'd be ecstatic.

Damnit you are stupid. Do you know that most fans of the band would like a range of songs from different albums, not for them to just play their new album. That would be fucking retarded.

Ideally, I think a band ought to play more than 2 songs from the album their tour is supporting. I don't know the magic number, or what ratio of songs from the new album. But if we use the golden mean on a 10 song set, it would be a bit less than 4 of the 10 songs... ;)

The title of your thread is incorrect.

and skipping the next show will mean skipping new songs that you didn't hear the last time around. I'd think first before making that leap. This band is about dynamics and balance, and it's also reflected in their setlist.

^^^
Indeed. What I would like to see one day, being a greedy bastard, would be a bunch of one off specials, like the Chronology shows, but where Opeth would play a whole album, start to finish..with a few extras thrown in. So, I think Watershed is around an hour long?...play the whole of Watershed, and then 4/5 other songs..

Can you imagine the whole of Still Life!!!

I can hope can't I?...of course, these special shows would all be in London so I can get to see them!!!

Hey, I'm sorry for the off-topic but I was only wondering, what's the setlist on their current tour. I apologize if it's already been asked. :)

Hey, I'm sorry for the off-topic but I was only wondering, what's the setlist on their current tour. I apologize if it's already been asked. :)

Look around. Off the top of my head and not in order :

Heir Apparent
BAying of the Hounds
Hope Leaves
Night and the Silent Water
Deliverance
Drapery Falls
The Lotus Eater
Serenity Painted Death
and the rest I can't remember...

They day opeth will do 3hours and half set we could dream about full rendition of Still life or MAYH. For now, forget it.

Samsara...you got a hint for the second leg of the tour???

I hope the set will be a lot different. If they play 2 other songs from Watershed I hope it will be Hessian Peel and Burden. Wreath, Karma, Advent and Godhead'S Lament would be welcome too.

Didn't they play pretty much all of Damnation + two tracks off of Deliverence during that tour? Or was that just a few shows? I don't think it's an issue really.

I think it's just a mattter of them wanting to rehearse them properly, and with a schedule like this, they haven't really had that much downtime. I figure Burden's gonna be next (there's a youtube clip of them playing it for quite a while, but it might just be them fooling).

I do hope they get Hessian Peel into the set-list by December.

Yes, they've material to choose from, and not all are just plain new fans who've just heard Watershed. I'm not meaning neither being a new to Opeth nor being into WS would be bad, but there's loads of good material.

(Oh and they said they'll play Burden next time)

Save.

It'd be nice for them to mix the 'new' songs up a bit but then there's the issue of who gets to hear what.

Forget two legs (which i'd gladly see anyway), imagine a 14 hour set (with breaks). Oh yeah! Take that Manowar!