Why is Opeth so fucking... amazing?

I heard Opeth through Dream Theater and I was just expecting opeth to be death metal but then I listen to Watershed and realized that it had so many different types of music and a very original sound. At first I didnt really like the growls but then realized that it creates a big difference and Mike has a really nice clean voice. Also when u listen to the music, it is never predictable what chord or note is coming next... Mike I remember also said that he hates predictable notes that come after another so he always puts something totaly unexpected.

Opeth pretty much shows so much emotion and creativity in their music that is very different from a lot of music out there. There is so much music in each album that u dont take everything in or get all the music in you after like 5 listens which is great because you never get bored of the album... Fans like us are very open minded because there is a lot of chaos or craziness in the music but there is always a connection or structure.

I bet many Metal or death metal fans would like opeth if they actually gave opeth a chance by listening to a whole album a few times because the music is a grower and once it clicks, its such a great feeling.

I heard Opeth through Dream Theater and I was just expecting opeth to be death metal but then I listen to Watershed and realized that it had so many different types of music and a very original sound. At first I didnt really like the growls but then realized that it creates a big difference and Mike has a really nice clean voice. Also when u listen to the music, it is never predictable what chord or note is coming next... Mike I remember also said that he hates predictable notes that come after another so he always puts something totaly unexpected.

Opeth pretty much shows so much emotion and creativity in their music that is very different from a lot of music out there. There is so much music in each album that u dont take everything in or get all the music in you after like 5 listens which is great because you never get bored of the album... Fans like us are very open minded because there is a lot of chaos or craziness in the music but there is always a connection or structure.

I bet many Metal or death metal fans would like opeth if they actually gave opeth a chance by listening to a whole album a few times because the music is a grower and once it clicks, its such a great feeling.

Great post. +1

Opeth are so great, that the new word for great is Opeth.

Well that sucked...

Mike can do whatever the fuck he wants on a guitar.

Likewise with the other members their instruments.

That level of skill is what I aspire for.

Ümlaut;7381029 said:
Mike can do whatever the fuck he wants on a guitar.

Likewise with the other members their instruments.

That level of skill is what I aspire for.

yeah after hearing mike playing on the acoustics, he is a great song writer and def. one of my inspirations.

in one word?
mike got the bset hgrowls

yeah honestly Opeth is the first band with growls that I got into and I dont even listen to any other ones... because although there are a lot of growls but there is so much more to Opeths music that other death metal or progressive metal bands dont have.

i thought i had replied to this thread but i can't seem to find my post. maybe i was too drunk to hit the "submit" button, lol. anyway, i think opeth is so fucking amazing mostly b/c of mike's mind-blowing songwriting ability plus the musical talent of the other guys. i know mike is and has been (for the most part) the primary songwriter/composer of the group, but it's not just him that makes an amazing band. i think mike could make some pretty neat little songs if he was just left in his "junkmail" studio by himself, but it's the fact that he chooses to surround himself with some of the most talented musicians in the buisness, imo. i love per, he's a very very talented person, and axe and fred are both very awesome in their own right, and mendez, of course, is fucking mendez. best bass player i've heard since geddy lee. wish he hadn't cut his hair but anyway. not even having met the guys, i know that mike has surrounded himself with the best musicians in the industry and that they are committed to making quality music, and that's all that matters i think. think opeth are amazing b/c they're not like any other band. they're not concerned with chart positions, or what ppl want to hear, they make the music that THEY want to hear, and to my mind that's all that matters. it's just a happy coincidence that millions of other people like it too.

They are from Stockholm, Sweden...that's why. The weather fucking sucks most of the time. So whaddaya do? I'll tell you what to do. You sit inside and make up sweet ass music 24/7. No really. They just spent ALOT of time developing some real shiz nits

They are from Stockholm, Sweden...that's why. The weather fucking sucks most of the time. So whaddaya do? I'll tell you what to do. You sit inside and make up sweet ass music 24/7. No really. They just spent ALOT of time developing some real shiz nits

i've never been abroad myself, but i like how mendez says in the WS doc, how when he was in uruguay, he said it was like 35 or something (celcius, i guess, we still use farenhight here in america), and when he got to stockholm it was like minus 15 or something. in other words, he was basically talking about how cold it was in sweden as compared to uruguay. maybe the cold temperatures have something to do with the amazing music? lol, maybe they play such fast riffs to keep their bodies warm in the cold climates? lol, i dunno, i'm just talking shit i guess. i live in la (lower alabama) where it's pretty much warm and humid for most of the year, lol.

Wait, you got into Opeth through Watershed (which was released barely 4 weeks ago) and already have their entire catalogue?

^hah, i just now read the above post. death metal fans woudl like opeth if they gave them a chance, wtmf??? i think you got it backwards dude, fucking emo fag fanboys might like opeth if they gave them a chance, those of us who are true to death metal gave opeth a chance long ago and they still reign supreme. i don't know what kind of crap you like to listen to on your ipod or whatever, or if you like the crap on mtv and such, but anybody who claims they like heavy metal music and hasn't heard of opeth needs to open their minds and their ears and hear some real music... opeth.

anarchy420 Sweden have so many good metal bands. I actually think it is one thing....it's cold...you sit inside and make up sweet riffs which later on turn into music.

I have all kinds of sweet rifts in my head, but I lack the guitar finesse to make it come to life.

It's because it's like the instruments are dancing with each other. The intertwine and go off to do their own thing only to re-unite and complement each other once again, the way the guitars bicker with each other and dance passionately yet as if in contest as the drums and bass provide seperate but complimentary rhythms, gives a perfect backdrop for the angel/demon dichotomy of Mike's singing.

This is so different than what we are accustomed to, instruments all moving the same way through the whole song, marching as if in war. Opeth's instruments interact and help each other become greater, as in love.

CONCLUSION:
pop music = war
progressive death metal = love

Spread the love.