Why is Opeth so great?

AbsentFriend

Hail to the King
Mar 3, 2003
Tha Nethalandz!
Ok, don't panic, I love Opeth and I know why they are so great (they just are). But a few of my colleagues just don't understand why, and I've tried to explain it several times. They just think it's noise and they can't see why someone would love it that much as I do. Are there some people here that can explain it maybe better than me? I will print the explanations and let them read it!

Thanks

Don't care about them, everybody should execpt the music of others and nobody shall "force" somebody to her other music, except it's pop, hiphop and techno. :Smug:

You've have to undertand that there is chance that no matter how many times they listened Opeth, they just wouldn't like it. But assuming that they possibly could like them, you just should introduce them some of the most accessable songs, like Face of Melinda, Harvest, In my Time of Need, and then maybe they would see at least a glimpse of the greatness of Opeth.

SunlapseVertigo said:
yeah but its so friggin annoying when people call it "just noise"

Indeed! It just freaks me out when people say: "ah well, that's just some guys banging on their guitars and barf in their microphones". And if you ask them what they like it's "just top 100 kinda music" hahahaha, damn, that's just sickening!

When people ask me that, they ask it in a way that they want an answer, but in reality it's rehtorical because no answer is good enough for them. I just stopped trying to explain and just left it as "they just are"

Well, here is my explanation of it after yesterday. I think Opeth is not for eveyone. Opeth is a musicians band, because they focus more on using their talent to bring to life inspirational, and emotional music, rather than what might be considered catchy to the everyday human ear. They write music, regardless of everything else but their own opinion, and that is just the way it is. How many people do you think have told them that they could be superfamous if they quit the growling vocals??? A lot, and they did not do this because they probably felt they were necessary to convey certain emotions. Well, that's my small take, but personally, I would never try to talk someone into liking Opeth, because I never really care what others are listening to. Unless it's like party music, you never really share the music you love with others, or atleast not me, except for sometimes listening to some of this stuff with friends, and going to concerts.

I can just see it... at a party u take nelly out of the CD player and slip in MAYH and jam demon of the fall. People there would be very clueless.

Opeth has a vibe about them..its a progressive yet very very agressive vibe...thats what i like about them, they do things their own way...i always had a dream about being in a band like that, where the music jumps back and forth to many different types of sound...

I've tried listening to Opeth and I still don't get it. When I said 'tried', I mean listened to couple songs (about 5-6) and even downloaded a live video.

I certainly don't hate Opeth, but I'm sure they're great. I mean, I hear a lot of rap blaring everywhere I go, and it's "music" to their ears, not mine and I can respect and tolerate that.

I've also tried to make my friends listen to Opeth... but it's not worth the effort. This is my personal discovery (the first CD I got by them was Still Life when I was living in England and I got it because the cover was cool and the songs were long!), and I don't mind if nobody likes it as long as I love it! In this sense I'm very selfish!

Play them "morningrise." If they don't like it, quit your friends or, at least, I wouldn't try to have any conversation about music with them...

I've also tried to make my friends listen to Opeth... but it's not worth the effort. This is my personal discovery (the first CD I got by them was Still Life when I was living in England and I got it because the cover was cool and the songs were long!), and I don't mind if nobody likes it as long as I love it! In this sense I'm very selfish!

Play them "morningrise." If they don't like it, quit your friends or, at least, I wouldn't try to have any conversation with them about music...

Play them "morningrise." If they don't like it, quit your friends or, at least, I wouldn't try to have any conversation about music with them...

i talked to someone who apparently liked metal the other day, so i thought, hmm you like opeth? he goes.. nope i hate them.. so i ask which songs have you heard? he tells me, oh i've never heard any.. i just dont like death vox and satanic music. i shouldve known right then and there to just quit while i was ahead but no i thought i could at least show case the song windowpane as its one of my favorite clean vox songs. he didnt even want to give it a try, he had already made up his mind he was going to hate it and didnt want to find out otherwise.. it shits me these stupid small minded people that judge things before they even hear them.. grr.

so its my feeling now that stuff everyone else, let them discover them on their own. if they cant see the technicality and beauty in it, its their loss. frankly i dont want to waste my time with the dolts of the universe who are too blind to good music. (lol if thats not elitist snobbery i dont know what is)

Ok. It's not so much about trying to let people like Opeth, but just about trying to explain people why Opeth is so great to YOU. Why does Opeth mean so much to you?