Why is Opeth so fucking... amazing?

Jester-Race

Nov 8, 2006
Kansas.
Seriously. Have you ever asked yourselves that question? I know I have. The amazing talent it requires to make music that Opeth has done not only takes gigantic balls, but also fucking amazing talent. Every time I listen to any album, I swear that it makes up for such a great time, depending on what album i'm listening to, it makes me realize just how amazing this band is. No matter what album I listen to depending on the situation I absolutely get absorbed by it.

I know it's crazy, but to me nearly any music i've ever listened to has never done this.

It just makes me realize that Opeth is truly amazing, and I could care less if people thought otherwise. That's just my amazing fascination with them, and I have every cd by them. No other band I could say that about. Truly amazing, and I thought watershed was going to be a total letdown. I thought that about 2 weeks into the cd, and then it just totally grew on me and made me realize each cd is so fucking different, that making objections on them makes no sense. Simply because each cd is so different, it becomes pointless to argue, because they are all so amazing in their own way. Morningrise comes to thought, simply because I think that this cd grew on me just RECENTLY (after being an opeth fan for about 5 years) as to one of my favorite cd's of all time once i've grown older, and I used to NEVER listen to this cd. This cd nearly has it all, and yet it's only one of the Opeth experiences I've come to face over the years.

Why do you come to this forum, and why do you like Opeth so much? I've been pondering this question for awhile, and yet I'd like to understand. Just wondering, because if you're out there, you'll understand.

Whether it's through moments of frail beauty or an onslaught of aggression, every passage captivates my emotions. I enjoy other music, but Opeth, along with Ulver goes so far beyond the entertainment aspect, and really gets under my skin.

I know what you mean. Some music just clicks in an unexplainable way and all of a sudden, it becomes an addiction (at least for me).

Opeth is just one of those bands that does so much and just, as you said, is so amazing that you can't not like them if you like prog, metal etc. And they do subtle things that make their music so addictive! I found that the fact that Deliverance and Damnation were supposedly going to be released at the same time, possibly to contrast each other, just made me appreciate the genius behind the band that much more. Mikael does so much in his writing and makes each song stand out in some way and they all have their own little parts that make them so awesome. It seems to me that they play to so many minorities rather than majorities and because of that, it plays to little parts of you. You want a mellow tune, turn on Damnation, or Coil off of Watershed, Isolation Years even. You want something harsh, look no further than Deliverance, Orchid etc. Or if you want a healthy balance of both, they have multiple albums that can satisfy you. I find that if I put Opeth on shuffle on either iTunes or my iPod, any song that comes on can play to a different emotion or part of me. They combine so many factors that create some of the greatest music that so many people can enjoy.

At least that's my view.

Whether it's through moments of frail beauty or an onslaught of aggression, every passage captivates my emotions. I enjoy other music, but Opeth, along with Ulver goes so far beyond the entertainment aspect, and really gets under my skin.

Best first post ever.

I know what you mean. Some music just clicks in an unexplainable way and all of a sudden, it becomes an addiction (at least for me).

Opeth is just one of those bands that does so much and just, as you said, is so amazing that you can't not like them if you like prog, metal etc. And they do subtle things that make their music so addictive! I found that the fact that Deliverance and Damnation were supposedly going to be released at the same time, possibly to contrast each other, just made me appreciate the genius behind the band that much more. Mikael does so much in his writing and makes each song stand out in some way and they all have their own little parts that make them so awesome. It seems to me that they play to so many minorities rather than majorities and because of that, it plays to little parts of you. You want a mellow tune, turn on Damnation, or Coil off of Watershed, Isolation Years even. You want something harsh, look no further than Deliverance, Orchid etc. Or if you want a healthy balance of both, they have multiple albums that can satisfy you. I find that if I put Opeth on shuffle on either iTunes or my iPod, any song that comes on can play to a different emotion or part of me. They combine so many factors that create some of the greatest music that so many people can enjoy.

At least that's my view.

Best second post ever.

+ 1.

Mike really takes the time to make any musical passage majestic. I guess there's a natural talent in him, but also..

Take The Moor for example. The first riff where the growls come in and the two guitars are playing different riffs: when you listen carefully it really blows you away. Any normal musician could have written one guitar part and moved on, but emphasis is placed on how much is too much, and what else could be added to make it more powerful. In essence, I guess he really focuses on how the instruments compliment each other rather than saying, 'cool that fits, let's move on'.

I totally understand... Haha, and yeah actually I have asked that question before.

Opeth are really in a category of their own. There's something so strangely compelling about every song they've written. Everything about their music has such great character. No wonder they're one of my top bands (maybe the top?).

At least that's my view.

Took the words from my mouth. :)

I will say something that I've already said to mike:
one of my professors, a jazz guitarist (that used to listen to metal), said in a class that he really enjoyed opeth, that the music were really good.

Well, knowing that my response isn't going to live up to some things that already have been said here (and with which I am in full agreement) all I have to say is this:

Opeth uses chords and harmonies most metal musicians haven't even heard of, while at the same time they play heavy in a way most prog bands have never dared to.
It's the combination of these 2 things, coupled (of course) with the fact that Mike has more writing talent in his pinky than I have in my whole arm, which makes Opeth the best band in the world for me...

..before I heard Opeth, the only bands that had this effect on me were The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, who whether you like them or not are two of the most influential bands of all time...that's the level Opeth are at for me in terms of quality. It's all about the imagination, the songwriting and then the talent to execute it..

k if you want to put it simply, Opeth plays music with depth and meaning,
Take Morningrise, Ive never heard counterpoints, or any other music that created such emotion.

Musically (if youre going to analyse the notes) youll find that the chords, notes they utilise are way way far from what most people have heard, its brilliantly moving.
I mean, even the heaviest albums they have, MAYH, Deliverance, GR, theres a significant difference in the guitarwork compared to your typical Scandanavian band.

i like opeth because their musics are amazing:Heavy,agrassive and also soft,emotional.they are so different.i feel their songs in my skin:D.Band members are so great.lyrics and riffs are great.i'm here because i want to support them and also meet the people who loves and thinks like me about opeth :))

Opeth is good, because whatever they are doing, they do it well.

Whether you like them or not, nobody can deny that they are doing their own thing very well, cause that is the truth.