So WHY does Opeth refuse to play new material on tour?!

Just imagine how hard it is to get them to play Black Rose Immortal alone... but I guess the reasoning also could be that they haven't perfected the songs to play live yet. I'm sure it's a coordination issue somewhere in there..

OK yeah I am dumb sure....Give me more songs off of GR as that is not their new cd anymore. I have been a fan for a long time so I have heard a lot of the older stuff already live and this band keeps progressing so they should keep playing this newer music. Hell, if I could hear 3 or 4 off of Ghost Reveries I would even be happy.

I think they do a great job of mixing Opeth past & present.
I'd say there's two more songs that we're likely to hear from Watershed.
Hessian Peel & ofcourse Burden. No Hex Omega :(
Personally, I really enjoy the old stuff live ! I'm down for an all Orchid tour !!!
In the end it doesn't really matter....it's all good.

Why would you whine about them not playing enough new material? I'm usually the opposite. I hate when a band ONLY plays new material on a tour. I like to hear a variety of songs from ALL of their albums, not just 1 or 2 albums.

harlequin forest instead of GC and hessian peel would be nice on the next tour... i do dig the songs heir apperent and the lotus eater too though so it might tough for them to play 3 songs off watershed with the time that they have on stage.

I don't know if it were Opeth or some other band but I remember one saying that they don't like to play lots of new stuff on the tour straight after a new album because not everyone is overly familiar with it yet so they leave it a tour to play lots..

But two songs is good enough jesus, I love the fact Opeth play lots of varried stuff :)

David

vperri, you are in the minority of Opeth(and indeed mostly all) fans, in that you want to hear more or all new material rather than a variety live. Most of us enjoy hearing a song from all of the albums live, because it's all music we enjoy. You don't only want to watch the end of a movie you enjoy, or watch only the last season of a show you enjoy, etc. Variety is good.

It's probably a good idea on Opeth's part not to overplay their newer music. Think about it: a ridiculous proportion of Opeth's fans are new, hopping on after GR and WS. What better way to introduce them to their older material than at a live gig? Plus the older stuff is amazing. If they played MR in its entirety I'd be ecstatic.

have to agree on this..i got hooked on Opeth when i heard GR.. then i started to listen to their older albums (MR was the 2nd album i bought)..and i was blown away..:kickass:

They day opeth will do 3hours and half set we could dream about full rendition of Still life or MAYH. For now, forget it.

Samsara...you got a hint for the second leg of the tour???

I hope the set will be a lot different. If they play 2 other songs from Watershed I hope it will be Hessian Peel and Burden. Wreath, Karma, Advent and Godhead'S Lament would be welcome too.

I am not Samsara (obviously), but in speaking to Per and Mike (and the rest of the guys) after the Bmore show, it looks very likely as though they will be back in the States in either Feb. or April for another 4-5 week stint. Also, very likely that they will be adding a few new tracks (from WS) to the set-list. Mike likes the stability of a standard set, therefore, he is most comfortable with staying a bit stagnant as far as rotating songs in and out of the set while on tour. They do rehearse possible additions during soundchecks though... AFAIK they will likely be adding at least one new WS track (if not 2) to the set list next leg of the tour...

OK, first post for me on this forum. Interresting thread. I like it when bands make a record that worth playing during the tour. According to me, that's better than playing mostly older stuff. WS is definitely a world class CD that's worth playing. So, I'd like a 2 hour show with very much WS material and 5 or 6 older songs.

I think they should just stick to playing pre-WS stuff, because quite frankly, it's far better...

So I am assuming they had the same setlist for the entire North American Tour? I was wondering if they mixed up the set at all. Seems like from everyone from each city they played at they played the same songs.
I thought 2 songs off the album was perfect. Lotus Eater was incredible live, can't believe they played it. As long as their songs were, they can only play so much it is understandable they can only play a couple of new songs.

OK, first post for me on this forum. Interresting thread. I like it when bands make a record that worth playing during the tour. According to me, that's better than playing mostly older stuff. WS is definitely a world class CD that's worth playing. So, I'd like a 2 hour show with very much WS material and 5 or 6 older songs.

I agree with that. New album should be played live mostly, but I still want to hear at least one song from each album. And ummm...

Welcome to you on this cockrock forum! Hope you'll have a lot of fun because I don't.

oh god no! i'd be very upset whether they play more than two WS songs , i mean, its a pretty good album, but is barely above deliverance, which dont mean shit.

1 from orchid, 1 from morningrise 2 from mayh, 1 from SL, 2 BWP, 1 deliverance, 1 damnation, 1 from GR, 1 WS

oh god no! i'd be very upset whether they play more than two WS songs , i mean, its a pretty good album, but is barely above deliverance, which dont mean shit.

1 from orchid, 1 from morningrise 2 from mayh, 1 from SL, 2 BWP, 1 deliverance, 1 damnation, 1 from GR, 1 WS

I think that 1 from each would be enough, and I would be perfectly satisfied.
(Well, 2 songs from BWP is ok)

Well I guess no one can be entirely satisfied with the setlist. One wants old, another wants new. I'll be glad to even hear them live, because anyhow they put on a great show which I don't get to see very often.