Why is Opeth so great?

Their unique blend of death metal and progressive rock is more capable of expressing emotions than any other music I have ever heard. I love them so much it sometimes makes me think I`m insane...

Commercial pop music is all about being so simple that you don`t really have to listen to it, it`s comfortable anyway. Complex bands like Opeth requires a lot from the listener, and to these people growling will always be "noise".

Words are pretty weak to present Opeth´s sound that´s why you can´t speak ppl into like them they have to hear for themselves!

I love the lyrics, love even more their riffs, the blend of death and mellow parts, Mikael's voice is top one in the scene, live they bloody kick-fucking-ass, and I can't explain why I get goose skin whenever I listen to them, I'm sorry!

Asmondai said:
Their unique blend of death metal and progressive rock is more capable of expressing emotions than any other music I have ever heard. I love them so much it sometimes makes me think I`m insane...

Ditto....and I've been listening to metal for twenty or so years and personally no-one can touch them. Insane.....maybe, obsessed.....totally.

Black Rose said:
Asmondai said:

Ditto....and I've been listening to metal for twenty or so years and personally no-one can touch them. Insane.....maybe, obsessed.....totally.

Same here....

I couldnt say what exactly makes opeth so amazing, but my brother (who listens to chevelle and linkin park) liked blackwater park from the first time I played it for him.

I'm fairly convinced that people who have any distaste for metal are going to have a very hard time getting their heads around Opeth. Thats what they are, a metal band. Even Damnation, though very melodic and devoid of growls is still awash in many of the themes that metal is known for. Anger, sorrow, hate, melancholy etc. It's just not party music, and I can't see it becoming mainstream in Australia. Maybe in european countries where they have winter and darkness many months of the year, but not here. It's just too sunny here...