label opeth: let's play this game?

Ecto

Aug 10, 2002
it's like this: you label opeth and explain why, ok?

i would say that opeth is death progressive metal. death only because of the vocals of course and progressive not because they sound like old rush or old yes...progressive because of the songs structure, length and many other stuff...i mean no barries for the music...

i would like to explain more the progressive part but i'm so lazy now and my english is so limited...sorry dudes!

Gnuckell: your avatar is kinda tripping me out - I'm sitting here at work blankly staring at my screen - mind you, I always do that..

For some reason, whenever people ask me, I say Opeth are "Swedish Progressive Death Metal" - to which my boss replied, "I know good ol' AMERICAN death metal, but none of this Swedish crap!"

Other times, I just say "You gotta hear 'em!"

Originally posted by Duvall
Gnuckell: your avatar is kinda tripping me out - I'm sitting here at work blankly staring at my screen - mind you, I always do that..

Are you on acid?

I always call them Swedish Death Metal just because that sounds so funny. Sweden and Death Metal are two things most people normally don't associate with one another.

I call them good music. Pretty self-explanatory. To me, getting too hung up on labels can eventually stifle a creative endeavor. When expectations run tangent to a particular label, artists seem to want to fit as best as they can in a category. Not quite what you asked for, but I just had to say something. :D

I always remember the promotional sticker that was on Morningrise when it was first released here in Australia, it said:

"Extreme Progressive Metal from the Swedish Gods- in 66 minutes of the best metal you will ever hear!"

I've never considered Opeth to be Death metal. I don't think the vocal style a band uses should go all the way to classifying them.
Opeth's direction and approach to their lyrics/music are nowhere near Death Metal.

Although it doesn't serve much purpose to classify, i've always liked the term 'Extreme Progressive Metal'!

Progressive Metal, but now i feel compelled to add swedish in there.
I don't consider Opeth as a death metal band becuase i can only find one element of death metal in their music, which is of course the growls. Other than that they are a lot tamer than death metal. They are definitely progressive and definitely metal. That's the only description i can think of that accurately fits them.

Originally posted by Skull_Punk
I call them good music. Pretty self-explanatory. To me, getting too hung up on labels can eventually stifle a creative endeavor. When expectations run tangent to a particular label, artists seem to want to fit as best as they can in a category. Not quite what you asked for, but I just had to say something. :D

I agree. Labels can hinder creativity. If absolutely had to give them a label, it would be Melodic Progressive Black Metal, but there's really no way you can label Opeth.