New Label + Opeth

They have vowed to never release a CD that is a copy or resembles one of their other albums, so they will move on, but it isn't due to a label....

yes i know they won't make an album that in anyway resembles previous albums but will they ever write music as good as they did in those three albums or r they going to begin a downward trend into albums which eventually sellout?

Raptures_Echos said:
Will opeth moving to new record label impact the writing style for future albums...
No, but possibly the sound of the future albums, as the level of support from different labels varies, and they may end up using different studios with different producers etc. etc. (Although I'm quite sure SW is still on-board for the next albums).

Raptures_Echos said:
...and will opeth ever return to their old style of metal Eg: Orchid, MAYH and Still life :confused:
No.

prowlergrig said:
umm :wave: that's not what the term progressive music means :p
yeah but i mean as in theyre always progressing towards something new. thats why it pisses me off when people say that deliverance blackwater park suck and they want to hear another album in the style of orchid or morningrise. well that wouldnt be too interesting then. we've already heard them play that so it wouldnt be too new or unpredictable. if you look at bands like Yes or King Crimson, they never once made an album that was similar to one that they already had. they were always changing and progressing towards a new fresh sound just like opeth will always do. and thats why people label all of those bands as progressive

Raptures_Echos said:
yes i know they won't make an album that in anyway resembles previous albums but will they ever write music as good as they did in those three albums or r they going to begin a downward trend into albums which eventually sellout?

I personally can't see why you think they will end up going into a downward trend... they haven't yet after 7 full albums, have they? Not to mention Mr. Åkerfeldt said they would do the opposite of selling out already...

Yes, in your opinion. I personally just recieved all of Still Life and earlier last week. And I just didn't see why people thought Orchid and Morningrise were such masterpieces. I thought they kind of sucked in comparison with MAYH and SL even. Then again, it must be that they tend to grow on you?

Even so, I wouldn't say they are getting worse, but just the opposite. And yes, I know this is all just opinion based, but thats really all that counts in music right? Just stating my views...

^ahahahahaha! i nominate gunhaver for the new moderator position pending moonlapses certain death......and still life crushes all albums of all bands.

Gunhaver said:
still life clearly crushes any previous Opeth album. and if you have a different opinion, your opinion is a good opinion and i welcome you to voice it in whatever manner you see fit.

Though the most of the cd is awesome, Moonlapse Vertigo has no balls to it, Benighted is dull and Serenity Painted Death is hit-and-miss...
Deliverance, however, starts of with the brilliance of Wreath, explores music further than they have in nearly any song in the past with Deliverance, soothes with the sweet A Fair Judgement, then (after a melancholic little lull) blasts the hell out of you with Master's Apprentice, to finally wrap the show up strongly with BTPISIO.
I like Still Life, I really do; but screw that, Deliverance beats the hell out of it.

i cant help but thinking wreath is kind of boring, except for the last part. i actually think blackwater park is opeth's best album. dont get me wrong, i really think still life is a masterpiece, but i think ive just listened to it too much :X