Borderline Blackmetal & a few questions.

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
Once again, you guys are way off base. The only thing "prog" about damnation really, was that it was a new step for the band...a different direction...a "progression". The material itself doesnt resemble very many prog rock bands at all.

Funny. Mikael has said that this could be an album that would fit right into the 70's prog-rock scene.

It does resemble bits of prog bands in places. There's a part in Windowpane that sounds almost identical to a part from King Crimson's Lizard. But the somewhat normal song structures etc mean that it sounds more like a slice of classic rock (much of which had progressive elements in it) than a pure homage to 70s prog-rock.

Bleakest Harvest said:
It does resemble bits of prog bands in places. There's a part in Windowpane that sounds almost identical to a part from King Crimson's Lizard. But the somewhat normal song structures etc mean that it sounds more like a slice of classic rock (much of which had progressive elements in it) than a pure homage to 70s prog-rock.

yes, i agree.

I think we have grown a wee bit off topic...... oh well

Neo-prog bands usually just do the something that has already been done. 'Damnation' strongly resembles progressive music, but it's much more. It is Mikael Akerfeldt's way of getting closer to the influences of the 60's and 70's, and no other label should be put on it that just Opeth's free Jam.
As far as getting the old folk-like (we'll call it that because it sounds like folk) acoustic instrumentation back from the old albums, I wouldn't count on it. Opeth is all about progression and will not go back to something they've already done. Opeth might put something similiar back on it but, that's about all we will get. I do not think this is a bad thing at all. I like it when bands excite you by doing something new. Opeth's 'Damnation' was very exciting because it shows how one band can posses so much variety. Opeth will not put out something they've already done.
As far as black metal goes, it will most likely be atmospheric, but does anyone know if Per Wiberg will be adding his keyboards to the new album? I think it would be interesting to see Opeth work with a 5th member on a metal album, instead of just some keyboards here and there on a metal album (no offense to Steve, I believe he is a great keyboard player, but I want to see Opeth with a 5th member.)

what i think we need here is the definition of what progressive rock music is

prog rock/metal/whatever is typically in a thrucomposed form, as in not a typical verse-chorus, or A-B-A form, but rather an A-B-C-D type form. prog also strays from the main idea of the music, usually going off in a completely different direction, the transfer from the first growled section in deliverance to the first clean section. prog also uses alot of exploration musically, as in the solos are usually off the wall, while still adding to the music. the name comes from the fact that the music progress from a to b to c, instead of a to b, back to a, then b again. i would would consider damnation prog because of the intense musical exploration of the album, but it also has a lot of psychedilica to it, like pink floyd type stuff, it has that soothing ambience that i could imagine being great to get stoned to.

Opeth's most black metal moment IMO is the first riff on April Ethereal, then double bass drum beat and the distorted guitars really create a great wall of sound, which is essential in any black metal

how does prog being new or old have anything to do with complexity? im confused.

you brought up something about modern

MoonRaven said:
what i think we need here is the definition of what progressive rock music is

prog rock/metal/whatever is typically in a thrucomposed form, as in not a typical verse-chorus, or A-B-A form, but rather an A-B-C-D type form. prog also strays from the main idea of the music, usually going off in a completely different direction, the transfer from the first growled section in deliverance to the first clean section. prog also uses alot of exploration musically, as in the solos are usually off the wall, while still adding to the music. the name comes from the fact that the music progress from a to b to c, instead of a to b, back to a, then b again. i would would consider damnation prog because of the intense musical exploration of the album, but it also has a lot of psychedilica to it, like pink floyd type stuff, it has that soothing ambience that i could imagine being great to get stoned to.

Well, youre on the right track in some cases, but youre far too assuming in other points you made. Plenty of progressive bands used the verse/chorus/verse type structure often, and if not, they had short and rather simple compositions from time to time. Also, the word didnt come from the type of a to b to c structure they were using, for a lot of the early progressive labeled bands were still using a lot of the pop style culture...just adding new elements or instrumentation, and exploration therein.

Damnation is a progressive record in the sense that it was a new direction...a "progression" for the band. As well as having a lot of similar sounding parts to classic rock or symphonic rock or progressive rock bands i.e. the mellotron, vibe, conservative and vintage production, etc...not necessarily because the outing itself was a progressive rock album...because it really wasnt. Every song consisted of acoustic main melodies, a lead guitar melody, and backing keyboards...and often similar song structures for each. These elements are more folk, than progressive when broken down...having a mellotron does NOT make the album a progressive rock album. In any case, damnation was a great record, with some great songs on it...and for those who didnt like it, you dont have to worry, for the band has stated it was a one time thing.

And as for "Themoor666" when you said:
"I just hope they don't let Steven get too much control and put alot of prog on there..."

Please dont be an idiot. thanks

yes, but being old or new still has nothing to do with complexity.

neo-prog is a term used for progresive music that is not as complex as regular progresive you know ten minute songs drastic changes etc..

let me look it up for ya:

Neo Progressive Rock — Symphonic rock done in a typically simplified or more commercial format. Often rich and melodious, but without the complexity of traditional progressive music. Mostly an '80s and '90s phenomenon. Examples: Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, Arena, Aragon, Jadis, Landmarq.

It was actually this resemblance to classic rock, or to prog, or to whatever you want to call it (others more qualified than me can fight out that part!) that drew me into Opeth. Ordinarily I'm no fan of metal, but rather of the classic rock bands that originated in the 60s, 70s, and yes, even a few in the 80s! ;) I quite simply hadn't heard a group originating in the 90s besides another band called Sigur Rós that could attempt compositions of this magnitude without going into what you refer to as that "neo-prog" mode...which to be frank, kind of annoys me. I was REALLY shocked to hear that coming out of the death metal community, and yes, it took me awhile to get used to all the screaming and growling, but I'd say it's been more than worth it!

"The Drapery Falls", for instance, has a cyclic nature that I've been used to from being a fan of artists like Rick Wright and Pink Floyd. That was my first song, and helped get me into the group in a way that I could deal with a bit more easily! So I have to admit, I'm a bit biased and I certainly would welcome more homages to these classic-rock influences...but I admit I've come to like the power of their true metal side as well, and I'd definitely like them to explore both! As long as that doesn't mean losing their class in the process, of course! But I don't think we've got to worry about that with Opeth. ;)

foulwing said:
neo-prog is a term used for progresive music that is not as complex as regular progresive you know ten minute songs drastic changes etc..

let me look it up for ya:

Neo Progressive Rock — Symphonic rock done in a typically simplified or more commercial format. Often rich and melodious, but without the complexity of traditional progressive music. Mostly an '80s and '90s phenomenon. Examples: Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, Arena, Aragon, Jadis, Landmarq.

First of all...youre relying on what you read far more than what youve heard. As for that definition, it does hold true in many cases...but the opposite could also be said. A band like Marillion is far more "complex" than a band like Spring or cressida. So its typically based on the circumstances and the bands being compared.

ethereallights said:
It's more European folk, than American back woods folk, so yes OPETH! FOLK! 'Twas a little album by the name of 'Morningrise'.

america doesnt have a folk metal scene. THERE IS NO CANADIAN FOLK BANDS! im trying to start 2 folk influenced bands at the moment.

and, dont tell me about 'european folk'. folk metal is my favorite metal genre. and no, opeth have never been folk. ive heard all their album, and none of them are folk. if you want to hear what a folk version of opeth would sound like, go listen to psilocybe larvae - stigmata, the album.

Gin_from_the_bottle said:
and, dont tell me about 'european folk'. folk metal is my favorite metal genre. and no, opeth have never been folk. ive heard all their album, and none of them are folk.

i think the people who compared parts of Opeth's music to folk were talking about the mellow parts, and saying that they were influenced by folk rather than being completely lifted from folk music. No, Opeth isn't and wasn't ever a folk metal band, but no one really said they were, did they?