Borderline Blackmetal & a few questions.

mysweetdeath

Easy Mac > Difficult Mac
Sep 6, 2003
Mulberry, Florida
The new album is supposedly leaning towards Black Metal.

It is, of course, Opeth so there will be acoustic/soft passages.

Will they be prog influenced as their recent albums, or will they return to folk (or mix the two?!)

Also, I'm not accusing Opeth or repitition of albums, but wasn't MAYH supposed to be borderline black metal?

Not that I mind MAYH 2....

Discuss

I'd realy like it if they brought back the folkish sound of the early albums. Prog rock just doesnt have that same atmosphere. Some accoustic's are neccessary... no more clean guitars, just accoustics!

Sleep...

Well...As most people would've pointed out, Opeth did say it's going to lean towards Black Metal... And has tracks with open tunings and gregorian chantings. blah blah blah..The usual things people post right?

I don't think MAYH was bordering black metal. I kinda saw Orchid bordering black metal, because of the atmosphere and the riffs. Either way, I'm trusting Opeth to bring out another kickass album.

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
im getting a wiff of someone not knowing what theyre talking about. :err:
I dunno... I halfway agree. Opeth's recent albums are nowhere near black metal, so prog worked in the soft passages. However, in the earlier albums folk mixed perfectly where I don't think prog would. But I think Opeth would fit prog in with Black Metal perfectly, if they worked on it. Maybe Swano and Wilson should collaborate on the next album:headbang: !

I'm afraid the gregorian chant thing might be a bit cheesy...

What's this stuff about speaking about prog as a seperate genre to black, death, or folk? The whole idea behind progressive music is that it always changes and combines elements from various types of music. A band can be labelled progressive metal and have polka influence in them for @#$*'s sake.

All of you keep talking about Opeth using "prog" in the last few albums. None of you even knows what this means, or what youre talking about. You think prog has some definitive acoustic sound or something, and Opeth decided to just "insert" it into the music in place of a "folk" sound? Opeth's music on blackwater park and a lot of the material on damnation could be interpreted as folk, and even if not, it wasnt necessarily a "prog" sound as all of you are claiming.

i would say Still Life. some stuff are bordering black metal right there.

Yeah.... what do you guys mean when u use the term 'prog'? I think of Prog music, not really as a specific style, such as folk, or death metal, or black metal is... prog, is progression... isn't it the combination of many kinds of music that make Opeth prog? And general song structure, etc...

All of you keep talking about Opeth using "prog" in the last few albums. None of you even knows what this means, or what youre talking about. You think prog has some definitive acoustic sound or something, and Opeth decided to just "insert" it into the music in place of a "folk" sound? Opeth's music on blackwater park and a lot of the material on damnation could be interpreted as folk, and even if not, it wasnt necessarily a "prog" sound as all of you are claiming.

word.....you were all over that like tuna on rye.....my thoughts exactly...

i would say Still Life. some stuff are bordering black metal right there.
What? Still Life doesnt border black metal in any way. The only thing by Opeth that comes close to black metal in my opinion would be the first two albums. But, really, theres nothing by Opeth that reminds me of black metal in any way.

Well that is the best way I cna describe it. What I meant was, would they continue using the acoustic style they have been using or return to their roots?
And I know they'll never make an OrchidII/MorningriseII. I wouldn't expect that.
I'm just wondering what style they'll be using for their soft stuff.

Opeth always takes a departure from their previous outing and makes something completely different. "Damnation" was heavely influenced by "prog rock" and the music kept this sort of mellow mood throughout the whole album, which was very different from Blackwater Park (which combined many different genres and set many different moods) and Deliverence (which set a high energy, agressive mood). My interpretation of Mikaels words on the next album's "borderline black metal" continent is that it will set an agressive, dark, high energy mood that is usually associated with black metal music. All in all, I feel as though it will combine many different genres, and will set a contrast between heavey and mellow parts in the music.

As far as folk and prog rock is concerned, I'm sure whatever Opeth use for the mellow parts will be brilliant, like everything else they do, but I am sure it will be nothing like Damnation.

Maybe they're going to embrace the black metal genre and use "blast beats of blasphemy, dischords of hades, and serpent scriptures." Although I heavely doubt it, due to the fact that Mikael writes way better music than that, you never know what to expect with Opeth or Mikael. My only question is, should I expect Per Wiberg and his "orchestral plauges (Keyboards)"?

When did they say it was leaning tward black metal? In a little mini-interview in Guitar World magazine, when asked "What can we expect from the next Opeth album?" Mikael just said, "Its hard to say because I havent been writing as much, but you can expect a good album. I never know what it will accually sound like until I get deep into the songs because I dont have a master plan, but we will continue to mix heavy stuff and soft stuff." That was in the July 2004 issue.

He said it in a post on this forum, I believe.

And BTW I agree with xxChaoticManifestoxx in saying Orchid was borderline black, as way back when it was written, Mike thought he was evil... since then he has realized he is really a cute little misguided kitten.... that growls. :headbang:

From the Lamentations docu: "I've got Plans. I haven't started writing yet, but I've got plans...to do an extreme, bordering to black metal album. And I've been actually thinking about doing a concept, maybe with occult content, but I'm not sure, because we haven't started really. But I wanna make sure that whatever we do in the future, that we're gonna be well-prepared. And obviously it's going to be the best album that we've ever done."

Mikael is a grammar/punctuation/spelling monster.