OPETH Disappoint A Few Headbangers At Club Gig

ShadowLioness

\m/ \m/
Jan 3, 2002
Suburbs of Chicago
Visit site
From Blabbermouth.net:

The Washington Post: OPETH Disappoint A Few Headbangers At Club Gig - Aug. 3, 2003

Dan Campbell of The Washington Times is reporting that OPETH disappointed a few of the headbangers in the audience at a recent show at the 9:30 Club "by playing mostly mellow, semiacoustic numbers from the band's new 'Damnation' album, which [PORCUPINE TREE's Steven] Wilson produced. However, singer-guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt said the band needs to stretch out and try something new. 'Besides,' he noted, 'we only brought the small amplifiers and single-bass drum kit.'

"Most of the crowd seemed to react well to the change in direction, but Mr. Åkerfeldt repeatedly apologized, with a crooked grin, for the lack of metal in the set and assured the fans that when OPETH next returns to the District, it will be doing a high-octane metal set.

"Too bad, because the 'Damnation' material is striking, with soft, haunting vocals and acoustic guitars riding on a carpet of lush mellotrons and other keyboards. One of the highlights of the band's 90-minute set was an instrumental 'Ending Credits', which Mr. Åkerfeldt said was a 'rip-off' of English prog-rockers CAMEL."

Now, in my opinion pretty much everyone knew what this tour was about. If you didn't want to go see Opeth perform an acoustic set, then you shouldn't have bought a ticket. I think it's kind of sad. These people didn't appreciate the beauty of this tour. I for one will be looking forward to the next leg when they hopefully hit my neck of the woods :D

Not necessarily. Not everybody has the internet and reads up on tours and bands and shit.

:( damnit...opeth is playing 40 minutes away from my house tonight, AND IM NOT GOING. how depressing is that...

this is what i was worried about. i can just see opeth come out here for the damnation tour and have a group of idiotic metalheads shout at them and tell them to "PLAY BLACK ROSE IMMORTAL!!!!!"

goddamnit.

Katatonic289 said:
this is what i was worried about. i can just see opeth come out here for the damnation tour and have a group of idiotic metalheads shout at them and tell them to "PLAY BLACK ROSE IMMORTAL!!!!!"

goddamnit.

Agreed, I didn't see too many fans disgruntled about the nature of the tour, but I heard that request on multiple occasions. And Mikael has finally admitted to ripping off Camel (at least specifically...)

Katatonic289 said:

goddamnit.

Which is exactly what happened between most every song at the Chicago show.

I REALLY do not like the bastard kids who created the reason for this uninformed journalist's article :mad:

People are supposed to know these things! Die! :yell:

and if not....don't go.

What a little bitch this Dan Campbell.
At the end of the article he says that Mikael said next time they come to DC its gonna be full on metal. Then says its a SHAME, cause Damnation is such a good album.
Is he implying that Opeth should be soft and just do Damnations??
A shame that they want to do metal?? Wake up! All they do is metal!
What an idiot.