Eve with Opeth - Details revealed:

Quote: Originally Posted by Mikael Åkerfeldt
I know guys it's a little bit wierd this.
Reason is publishing rights...we have, I don't know 3 different publishers so it's gonna be a problem....I don't know exactly why really. We're only allowed to play songs from our MFN catalogue.
Thing is that Shepards bush is not a super excusive gig, other than it's set up for the DVD. We'll be on tour for "Damnation" playting only soft songs but for that show we'll pull out a few heavy numbers as it's "a night of Deliverance and Damnation". Basically it's done to promote the albums, not some night of ol' favourites. I totally understand what you mean and I do agree it's a little fukked up. The company have been on our backs for a DVD for a long time, but I reckon the real reason for this DVD is promotion.

Cheers
Mike

redblueyes said:
Thanks for posting the details. Sounds like an incredible evening!!!! Master's Apprencice too..? AWESOME!!!

I can't understand anyone who would call this "lame" in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM! Some fucking people just can't EVER be pleased I guess. Feel sorry for you in a way. Everyones been wanting a DVD for so long and now ones coming close ....and still bitching???? Jeez.
I'm positive the live performance, PLUS, the recording footage is gonna make this a fucking creamfest...!!!

ps- Hope Leaves, why don't you save yourself 12 pounds if you're not looking forward to seeing 14 of the 15 songs. Sounds like you shouldn't bother...
So, the focus of this event, is the one album which is the most significant departure from their 'actual style', and also the one album which they've had the least 'floor time' with. We know how much the Finns got upset when the Big'O canceled their gigs cos they had to come to grips with the new material before.... and if you're going to try and tell me that they've already got the new set 'down pat' to the extent where they are as proficient with it as they are with DoTF, as an example, then you'll have to excuse me if I say I'm highly skeptical.

And I don't just mean bashing out the tunes, I mean they are as comfortable with it as they are with the older material, in that they don't have to think about what they're trying to play.... instead of just playing it, and coming across as supremely more confident than they otherwise would appear to be.

I mean, we all know how 'mediocre', some people who saw the first few D2 gigs in the states thought their set was... they were as nervous as shit.

Again, don't get me wrong, I AM looking forward to November, and I AM psyched about the prospects of a DVD (Hell, I'll still most likely be flying down south again this december to catch them in Brisbane.. Or Melbourne), and it IS fucked that they can't get a hold of their significantly older material... but even with all that it should STILL be quite easy to produce a good set by shuffling around some songs to emphasise more on BWP and D1 than on D2.

What I am MOST suprised about is the abscence of DoTF, and other songs of that ilk, as it would appear that while they had liscence to play these songs while touring all throughout the last few years, Zomba (Or whoever it was they were with at the time) is explicitly excluding the use of these songs for the purposes of the DVD.

I didn't realise that the expression 'The musicians don't own the songs, the lables own the songs' should be take quite so literally. :erk:

To be honest, I'm thoroughly suprised that the focus isn't more shifted towards BWP, as it is the material they are most 'comfirtable' with, and are allowed to play, and it's the album that got most of the n00bs into Opeth, and remains their favourite album more often than not once they've gone through the back catalogue, so I should expect it would sell like hotcakes.

Oh well... obviously MFN wants them to push their new releases... even though people have been clamouring for a DVD since almost before the inception of the technology. :rolleyes:

I would think that the whole point is that since the whole Opeth catalogue is SO FUCKING GOOD (and why there is so much aregument as to 'favourite songs' and 'favourite albums', that they'd go with a 'best of' compilation for the DVD.. .but obviously this isn's the DVD we've all been waiting for, the labels HAVEN'T BEEN LISTENING, and simply due to the fact that they've become popular, perhaps now is the time to pop out a DVD.......

I know someone's going to argue against me on the grounds that The older label is retaining rights to their songs..... as they are still selling albums (I'm guessing here) where I thought that the new labels already had the rights to the reissues...? :confused:

Obviously I don't know the exact situation here, but it would be nice if someone could straighten me out on these matters... but please don't stick the boot too far in in the process.. OK? ;)

The old labels must still be shifting a HELLUVA lot of units if they don't want a live DVD made on songs they still have the rights to under another lablel... or are they simply tryign to deprive the new lable of possible profit even if they aren't pushing much product? :err:

I don't have a clue either. I mean, haven't there been all sorts of live albums and DVDs and things that spanned a group's whole catalog and crossed label barriers multiple times? I don't understand the deal with this. They'd better do a proper one later.

Oh well, at least they're doing MA. It's a small concession.

Opeth can perform whatever they want to perform live. They could play Hendrix songs all nite if they wanted to.

The problems come when they try to make a release with songs from different publishers on it. (Has this been explained already?) This kind of horseshit happens all the time. Hence they can only have a set of MFN albums. And since Opeth's songs are so long, it would be hard for them to sneak in other stuff from other albums ("crowd pleasers") not to be recorded for the DVD, whereas this would be easier for other bands.

Personally, I don't give a crap whether the old albums are represented or not, because the DVD is still going to be badass anyway. Yes, all the old stuff is fabulous too, but so is the new stuff. And as I said before, there is a simple solution to this:

Don't buy the DVD. MFN will have wasted their time and money if all you complainers don't shell the money and boost the sales. Opeth can stick to touring and merchandise as their main income. I, however, will be happy.

Well, obviously, any real fan of the band would want material from every album, hell a dvd box set of some sort would be sweet as hell. Some of the most precious moments of my life have involved early Opeth material so, yes, I wish they could play some of those remarkable tracks as well. But it's not gonna happen and we already know the reason (as posted by mikael (copied above)). So whats the point of bitching about the songs they ARE gonna play? Still gonna be fantastic to have/see/hold. Anyway, pointless debate here because we already know what the band are gonna perform, and the label is gonna do what they do, which is try to push the band and make some money for themselves.

I personally think the UK at least is kinda being shafted up the arse. The American D2 tour also had Benighted, Face of Melinda, and To Bid You Farewell, didn't it?? I'd rather listen to those than anything from D2, and it seems kinda "unfair" that they aren't gonna play them at all in the UK. Even if I was able to go to this gig, I probably wouldn't (unless I lived a lot closer) because it consists of material from my 3 least favourite Opeth albums, even though I still like them all. Of course I'm still excited about the DVD and I'll definitely be buying it, but the absence of a "real" D2/mellOpeth/whatever set in the UK is bad IMO.

Opeth's 3rd bonus Dvd will contain songs from Orchid , Morningrise and the whole Mayh *dreaming*

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! i cant belive how many people are bitching about the setlist. for the love of god ,shut the fuck up. i really wanted to go last time they were playing london, but i couldnt get a fucking ride. but this time im going. nobody cares if you dont like the setlist, least of all me, so be quiet you lame fools.

people like you piss me off

17892,099 people thought i understated this post.

redblueyes said:
Well, obviously, any real fan of the band would want material from every album, hell a dvd box set of some sort would be sweet as hell. Some of the most precious moments of my life have involved early Opeth material so, yes, I wish they could play some of those remarkable tracks as well. But it's not gonna happen and we already know the reason (as posted by mikael (copied above)). So whats the point of bitching about the songs they ARE gonna play? Still gonna be fantastic to have/see/hold. Anyway, pointless debate here because we already know what the band are gonna perform, and the label is gonna do what they do, which is try to push the band and make some money for themselves.

real fans would scoff at the thought of a label shoving a knowingly inferior release down the public's throat. besides, admit it...damnation sucked.

RekNaW said:
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! i cant belive how many people are bitching about the setlist. for the love of god ,shut the fuck up. i really wanted to go last time they were playing london, but i couldnt get a fucking ride. but this time im going. nobody cares if you dont like the setlist, least of all me, so be quiet you lame fools.

people like you piss me off

17892,099 people thought i understated this post.

but you do seem to care that i don't like the set list, because you said so yourself, that i'm pissing you off. if i piss you off then you must care.

Yeah, as others have said, hearing "Master's Apprentices" live is going to be fucking awesome... Aside from that, sure, I would have LOVED to have some of their earlier songs on this set as well, but what can you do? Complaining is fucking useless since, as Mikael explained, they have a rights issue and can only play material off their latest three albums... So fucking what? I'm just glad this DVD is even coming out in the first place and beggars can't be choosers. I'll be buying this the first day it gets released! :)