The best style of opeth?

Reaper of Sin

The Twilight Is My Robe
Aug 17, 2002
Visit site
Just wondering what style of opeth they like the best, and when i say style, i dont mean blues jazz etc, I mean styles from the different albums. *tries to put words into head on paper* argh. Anyway, as in, the first 2 albums sound similar, thats one style, then mayh had a heavier style while still life reverted back to a more classical feel and blackwater park seems to be a mixture of the heavy from mayh and the classical from still life. So, which style do you think was Opeth at their best??

I say all 4 are equal, because they all create different feelings, and all those feelings FUCKING ROCK, GO OPETH :D

Oh ok so your trying to ask if we prefer old Opeth or new Opeth right?

Honestly I prefer the newer Opeth, it just has A LOT more replay value than there older offerings.

But I do hope Opeth does something like Still LIfe that album is just excellent like all the others but this one is special to me, but wait shit there all special to me, fuck! its hard to say without considering the others! Gotta break that habit. ANYWAY yeah I hope the next one is something like Still Life I love all the interludes and how everthing is arranged its just so varied and diverse, it just takes into a majestic ride that always stays true and interesting.

I can't say. I change my mind way too often... to me it is all equal, although I find that the older material has better replay value to me... I can just sit through 'Advent' on repeat all day, whilst 'Godhead's Lament' would start getting on my nerves after a while.

I honestly love Blackwater Park just as much as Morningrise or Orchid... they're just different styles of music... but they're all 100% Opeth, and they're the best music I've heard in my life... so yeah \m/... rock on!... haha.

to me new opeth sounds better due to the songs having far more structure instead of sounding like a few disjointed riffs, even tho opeth have become slighly less progressive in the fact that they now repeat riffs their songs sound *more* like songs if you get what I mean =)

It probably has a lot to do with what style you heard and liked first. Like Jez said, the newer stuff seems less disjointed than the early stuff - the songs have way better flow while still being progressive.

I find the songs on Orchid, for example, have a lot of sudden changes and parts where the music just stops and starts again on something else. If Opeth re-made Orchid today I bet they would smooth out those transitions better.

Doesn't mean I don't like Orchid or Morningrise (I think they rock) but the newer stuff just seems more refined to me.

I can listen to the newer ones a lot more. There seems to be more going on at once with the music that you discover after repeated listenings.

It's the Orchid era, when they managed to create incredible journeys. I don't swallow anything anyone, even the band, said about having learned to construct songs better since. Of course I like everything, but that (and to lesser extent Morningrise) is really one of a kind!

I think on MAYH they managed to kind of capture both sounds and kind of mix them into this evil/angry machine and come out with this pissed off album which is more like a picture painted on canvas to me... if I had to pick a favourite album, I guess MAYH it would be, because it doesn't have the (somewhat overused) rhythm guitar parts with melody guitar playing over them, which you hear alot on Still Life and BWP, while still having structure in the music...

Not sure if that made much sense, but that's what I make out from the album.

Yeah Morningreise and Orchid are excellent, but if you listened to them a lot they start to get kind of boring. With Mayh, Still Life, and Blackwater Park I could listen to those with a high frequency and not get bored especially Mayh and Still Life; theres just something about those two albums that keep my interest. Still Life I could listen to all fucking day and night and still be into it the following day.

Whatever syle Opeth choose next I hope it turns out something like there Still Life album.