My opinion about Deliverance

Originally posted by SunlapseVertigo
What about... hmm... lets say ALL of "A Fair Judgement"? Are those not beautiful melodies..... because that's EXACTLY what they are.... You can't say for example, that an album like MAYH has these beautiful melodies but not Deliverance.... The soft parts on deliverance would all fall into the melodic categories... especially on "Deliverance" and "Master's Apprentices" (and Im excluding A Fair Judgement) Like I said before, I think too many are going into this album with a negative attitude.... try to think of what I am saying when you listen to it.... trust me, there are beautiful melodies all over Deliverance....
Heh, I think MAYH is Opeth at their absolute best, combining oppressive aggression with such emotional melodies that you think you're going to burst. This is all opinion, of course, though. We could argue the mechanics of what makes something "beautiful," but it's truly a relative term.

Let's see, the three-minute intro for A Fair Judgment is way too long to spend on the same uninspired vocal line. And I hate how the music falls out when he sings, like they can't do both at once. OK, after that, yes, it's soft and acoustic and melodic and pretty, blah blah blah, but there's nothing unique or exciting about it -- it could easily be played on mainstream radio, hell even a soft rock station. Then there's the guitar solo -- eh. Nice, but boring. Where's the weaving of harmonies? Then the music falls out and the wimpy whispering starts again. Minute 8:00 begins a standard doom section that is, again, entirely too long, unvaried, and repetitive. And then it's done.

Originally posted by threak
yeah,theres always shit loads of people who have to hate something about good bands.its really not worth it.
:lol: This will be comical to people who've been here longer than 5 minutes.

I think the song is amazing... and I disagree with just about everything you just said (how the hell is that solo boring... its friggin' awesome) .... but yeah, it is a matter of opinion. Deliverance seems much more emotional and sounds much much better than MAYH in my opinion. But everything Opeth has done is awesome.... and you seem to be focusing too much on your negative aspects. Whenever you listen to the album now, make an effort to concentrate on the good things and try not to pay attention to any bad things..... I am giving people this advice because I want people to like this album.... Once it catches you, it is awesome....

The new Opeth CD has been praised by a local Finnish university metal fan club too. Seems that only I disagree. As said, the sound is different from Opeth's earlier works. Too different, somewhat too clean or soft...I don't know. The previous albums hit me instantly, now this one didn't. And do I keep wondering why...:confused:

Originally posted by Lina
Heh, I think MAYH is Opeth at their absolute best, combining oppressive aggression with such emotional melodies that you think you're going to burst. This is all opinion, of course, though. We could argue the mechanics of what makes something "beautiful," but it's truly a relative term.

I agree Lina. Proof of what you've said can be seen if you try to analyse MAYH as you have done with Deliverance. It's very difficult to find a flaw. Every moment of MAYH is very organic and emotive......it's a true masterpiece!

That said, I do like Deliverance. Opeth still make good music.