MAYH Production

{-sapob-}

Dec 17, 2008
This is for those of you who were late to get into opeth.

I got into Opeth with Ghost Revries, loved it, then wanted more so i back tracked, and got deliverance/damnation/still life/morningrise/blackwater park/orchid/MAYH.

But of all of them I found it hard to listen to blackwater park and MAYH.
And more MAYH than Blackwater park.

And its the production of those two albums that put me off.
(It might be all the snares fault)
In saying this though ive just got over my "fear" of the album and can enjoy it for what its worth.

did anyone else have a problem with the production quality?

I love the production of MAYH. Everyone knows this album has production issues, though it adds to the character of the album.

Blackwater Park has very good production, though it may sound overproduced.

Yeah, I "hate" blackwater park because of its "round", boring production. There are no interesting edges or something like that, hard to explain, it just sounds like pudding to me.
On the other hand, i really love the sound of deliverance, although that seams not to be a common opinion.

Same,
I think the sound of deliverance is great.
although the vocals crackle alot its still ok.

I was put off by the production of MAYH at first but over the years its become my favorite album and grown to love it. It sounds so evil and has this wall of sound feeling.. Plus after listening to it so many times, the ending of When still gives me goosebumps everytime.

It took awhile for me to like Blackwater Park because it felt too thick sounding for me. MAYH's production is great for what it was going for though.

The production on My Arms, Your Hearse works so well for that particular album. So desolate—so melancholic.

Point taken.

Say you could have one song re-recorded to sound "new" i suppose, what would that track be if any.

I like most songs on MAYH but I would prefer a GR production/tightness to it. But everybody is different. I think every record had been better than the one before so..

no matter what the production sounded like, everyone here would say it was perfect for the album

My Arms, Your Hearse has such a unique sound for an Opeth album as well. The two albums preceeding it both have a similiar sound (obviously because they were both recorded by Dan Swanö) and the album following it tend to have a more similiar sound - possibly with the exception of Still Life, although it sounds like the albums following moreso than any of the others before.

I think it adds to the overall vibe of the album. Sure the drum recording has some obvious problems, the guitars can be a bit muddy, and the clarity of everything allround isn't 100%, but I'd take it over the Steven Wilson produced albums anyday because it has so much more life in it (to my ears anyway).

This will propably be my favorite album when I finally get into it properly.

I just yesterday discovered that April ethereal is pretty awesome. :headbang: