Orchid vs. MAYH??

driz

New Metal Member
Nov 21, 2004
Toronto
Hey all,
as mentioned I'm a relatively new Opeth fan. I have the dvd, damnation,deliverence,still life, and blackwater park. It's only a matter of time until I have them all. I just ordered Morningrise and I wanted to order one of Orchid or MAYH. Which is a better album and why? Which is softer? Which is harder? ect...I'm gonna get them both eventually, but I want to be able to really listen and get to know the albums one by one...if I buy them all together I may get overwhelmed and not fully enjoy each album individually. So, which is better, Orchid or MAYH, and why?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
driz

That's a good question to pose in your situation...and out of 100 responses in this forum, you'll get 99 saying MAYH is better. I'm going to go way against the grain(and catch plenty of crap I'm sure), and say I personally like "Orchid" a little better. Having said that, I think I would still recommend getting MAYH first to finish that Opeth era. Be sure to get "Orchid" though even if many reviews aren't glowing...it's a great album.

My reasoning...MAYH is definitely deeper, with more intracate lyrics. The music is great just like everything else they've done IMO. But with "Orchid", some of the different sound effects, the acoustics with driving double bass in the background, and the medieval violoin(or synth) on "The Apostle in Triumph"(although they did do that again on "Black Rose Immortal") are the things that set it apart for me. Plus the beautiful "Silhouette" piano piece. It's just different, and I'm drawn to that I guess.

BTW, "Morningrise" is just about my favorite from them(again going against the grain)...give us a full review when you hear it. Actually it's a real "grows on you" type, so give it a good chance.

Seth

Thanks Seth, I guess it is only a matter of time til I get both. Now, that being said, I do gravitate towards the more melodic, subtle, and emotive aspects of Opeth. Don't get me wrong, I love the heavy shit too, but that's just what I like more. Anyways, anyone else?
driz

Orchid. And I agree with Seth about Morningrise being the best album.

hmm....although I like MAYH much better (whatever is much better than "love" is up for you guys to decide), I'd say Orchid gives the beginner Opeth listener a better taste of their full range of music, as long as you don't mind a bit of meandering around and a relatively crappy production.

I listened to MAYH before Orchid, and in retrospect I don't think it really mattered to me that I heard that first, so either choice is fine.

driz said:
Thanks Seth, I guess it is only a matter of time til I get both. Now, that being said, I do gravitate towards the more melodic, subtle, and emotive aspects of Opeth. Don't get me wrong, I love the heavy shit too, but that's just what I like more. Anyways, anyone else?
driz

Well, I guess I was wrong about the 99 out of 100... :tickled:

But like Inconium said...you can't go wrong with either album, although I don't think the production is too bad on "Orchid". Maybe I was expecting worse and was pleasantly surprised??

Seth

Orchid is probably a worse 'entry-level' choice. If you want to keep exploring the later style of the band (BWP, SL) then you're better off getting MAYH first. You're bound to run into Orchid eventually though, so just prepare yourself for the fact that it sounds quite different from the later material.