Orchid vs. MAYH??

ah, whatever, thanks all....i just ended up buying them both. Two Opeth discs are always better than one. Oh well.
driz

I think it all depends on what you like to listen to. MAYH has more of a metal element partly because Mikael plays bass. Orchid is more progy and yet looses out when it comes to production.

driz said:
ah, whatever, thanks all....i just ended up buying them both. Two Opeth discs are always better than one. Oh well.
driz
Hey, driz, give us your first impressions of both cd's!
I am curious as to what you feel after just one listen to both.

Will do gatedropper, I should probably receive them within a week from amazon.com. Another question though: What exactly is "progressive" metal? Is it the shift from soft to hard to soft ect...? Is it long songs? Again, Opeth is a new band for me unlike anything I've listened to before, so I have alot of questions. Either way they rock the house.
driz

Orchid...I could emotionally feel what Akerfeldt was feeling at the time he recorded that album, because the music really expresses it. and yeah...defintely a more "progressive" album to me as well, offers alot.

driz said:
Will do gatedropper, I should probably receive them within a week from amazon.com. Another question though: What exactly is "progressive" metal? Is it the shift from soft to hard to soft ect...? Is it long songs? Again, Opeth is a new band for me unlike anything I've listened to before, so I have alot of questions. Either way they rock the house.
driz

Prog metal was the natural "progression" from progressive rock back in the late '60s and '70s. Bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, Priest, Sabbath(to a degree), among many others had that interesting blend of orchestration, use of piano/keyboards, symphonic sounds, and of course the long epic story telling songs.

Bands like Queensryche, Fates Warning, Helloween(maybe), and even Maiden to a degree started the "prog metal" twist. I've always though it just means...metal done differently, with different instruments, and the mixing of classical/jazz/blues and everything in between. It's really my favorite sub genre, and Opeth is the first death metal band I've ever liked because of their perfect blend of the two.

Which makes me ask those who know....were they the first band(European or otherwise) to really blend the two styles? Obviously it was going on before somewhere, but I assume they were the first to really make a mark with it.

Seth