MAYH Production

I've always found the cleanguitars on MAYH horrible. They sound like ran thru a cheap zoom pedal with digital chorus and reverb, especially compared to the totally classy cleantone they have now, but even back in 2000 when I bought MAYH I was abit turned off by the cleantone. Other than that the mix is a bit muddy and the snaredrum sounds like a newspaper hitting a table from time to time. Also the bass seem to be loaded with some reverb and played with a pick. All in all, not a great production, but an amazing album.

I really like the production of Orchid, Morningrise and MAYH. If you don't like them, you should really try to listen some Black Metal bands with completely shitty sound and then you will see how good is the production of MAYH. I'm serious.

I really like the production of Orchid, Morningrise and MAYH. If you don't like them, you should really try to listen some Black Metal bands with completely shitty sound and then you will see how good is the production of MAYH. I'm serious.

Well, then again, listen to anything with the name Allan Parsons on it or to the most recent efforts of Opeth. I mean, high quality albums were made already in the 70s. Obviously bands like Pink Floyd had more money to achieve the sound quality on Dark Side of the Moon, but it's just bid more than a decade when MAYH was done and they could have used less reverb etc.

I love the production on MAYH as well, it has a great, organic kinda sound. I like Orchid's production way less - I think it sounds pretty boring, not very engaging.

This is for those of you who were late to get into opeth.

I got into Opeth with Ghost Revries, loved it, then wanted more so i back tracked, and got deliverance/damnation/still life/morningrise/blackwater park/orchid/MAYH.

But of all of them I found it hard to listen to blackwater park and MAYH.
And more MAYH than Blackwater park.

And its the production of those two albums that put me off.
(It might be all the snares fault)
In saying this though ive just got over my "fear" of the album and can enjoy it for what its worth.

did anyone else have a problem with the production quality?

you find fault in steve wilsons production :puke::puke:

i dont know what to tell you, i think you might never like them, you might fall in love with them down the road. i feel like it's part of their charm

you find fault in steve wilsons production :puke::puke:

i dont know what to tell you, i think you might never like them, you might fall in love with them down the road. i feel like it's part of their charm

(I think that Steven Wilson is pretty overrated to tell the absolute truth.)

I do like the albums.
They are better than the first two for sure.
But I think i would like them even more so if they were done with some better quality.

But I do know how hard it is to get a decent sound. Ive been trying for a couple of years now to produce something, that sounds half decent. I think the Key element here is Dirty, Sexy, Devious, Money.