Opeth evolution

Zemb

Jun 10, 2001
France
Visit site
Well we all know that Orchid and BWP are very different, yet they have the same Opeth feeling.
What's in your opinion the main differences between the albums ?

- Orchid
- MorningRise
- MAYH
- Still Life
- BlackWater Park

I hear incredible self exploration through these five albums...always progressing...moving within their unique brilliance!

They ALL finish way to quick!! :D

Every new album comes with a higher degree of technical perfection, I think.
But we're talking about emotions, and emotions are at the highest peak, always!

Forgive me, I'm Opeth-addicted ;)

They refined their style by Morningrise, but took a leap with MAYH. MAYH seemed very angry, but at times, more serene and at peace than the others. Still Life meshed emotion and music *very* well, I'd say. They blend so nicely with each other through harsh and soft passages. Blackwater Park seems like an extension of Still Life, so much so that even the cover art is reminiscent. Maybe it's the font. But in all, I sense an emotional progression away from the personal, and more towards the darker side of things. Depends on the song, of course. Musically, the stops between loud and soft became more blurred, and the passages fit snugly and comfortably where they are. I think I read somewhere that Morningrise was written while Mikael worked at an acoustic guitar shop, which definitely has that feel, in my opinion. Overall, one of the best refinements that I've heard a band go through. They havn't sold out (not that they could, I don't think..), and they've yet to write (well, release) a bad song. Few bands can ever claim that...

Well ,

Orchid was more melodic that the other albums , and less emotional than Morningrise

Morningrise was like Orchid in the sense of production and arrangement , except it was a step up in emotionality (is that a word)

Mayh was the biggest change in Opeth history , there wasn't a riff on there that could of been on the previous albums and vise versa . The vocals are better as with the production .

Still Life is not as big of a change , the album's emotionality level is different from the previous ones , vocals and production are much much better , can't really explain this album much (concider the fact that I don't have it )

Blackwater Park is a step down from Still Life in my opinion , yet in some areas it's a big step up , the only thing that has improved on this albums is it's "groovyness" fell , vocals , vocal lines , and guitar effects , also the drumming . (hmm I geuss it is better)

Here is my opinion on what the next album will sound like . For the next masterpiece Opeth will try something new , eveything will be different , Opeth will succed in this and attract new fans yet also overly impressing there old diehard (and not so diehard) fans , it will be a big step up , and it will be opeth's most expieremental album .